Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love how half the people misunderstood the author's point.

The point was to use Wii mode to emulate the GC mode using dolphin (which was built for x32/x86 architecture) to access USB loading. But if Dolphin has a modified GC mode that allows for either virtual or direct access to USB, porting the code would allow the same given it's a successful port.

Dolphin is made up of interpreter that converts ppc ---> x86/x64 instructions along with x86/x64 instructions to supplement it. To achieve this, they would need the dolphin specific x86/x64 instructions to be ported to ppc, this will probably be the bottleneck of the whole idea.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Zetta_x said:

The point was to use Wii mode to emulate the GC mode using dolphin (which was built for x32/x86 architecture) to access USB loading. But if Dolphin has a modified GC mode that allows for either virtual or direct access to USB, porting the code would allow the same given it's a successful port.

Dolphin is made up of interpreter that converts ppc ---> x86/x64 instructions along with x86/x64 instructions to supplement it. To achieve this, they would need the dolphin specific x86/x64 instructions to be ported to ppc, this will probably be the bottleneck of the whole idea.
The problem is it doesn't.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Zetta_x said:
To achieve this, they would need the dolphin specific x86/x64 instructions to be ported to ppc, this will probably be the bottleneck of the whole idea.

Starting from dolphin is pointless. You would need to start from scratch to be able to do anything viable.
Think something like DIOS MIOS but with DSP emulation.

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Zetta_x said:

The thing is, the Wii already understand PPC instructions, so there is nothing really that need to be ported or even interpreted, which means you can ditch dolphin recompiler completely. What you need is something that intercept I/o access from CPu execution which could not be understood in wii mode and redirect dvd access to sd or usb access. This is hardly an emulator then, like smf said above more something like dios-mios, and this explains why porting dolphin is a stupid idea that only people who doesn't understand how emulator work randomly drop on forums: the key behind an emulator is to mimic hardware (cpu, io, gfx, sound, etc) with code but the wii already has this hardware available for you to use.

shortz1994

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dolphin could run on the wii,If people are willing to go through the process's( adding more/bigger flash "nand"). an If Dolphin could support lower versions of windows/linex..
I have seen it done, couple of geek friends i have,add the nand chip from another wii, an had more memory, just enough to get windows 95 to run. an the author of geexbox has linex system ported to wii. i just don't have the gonads, to try an mod my wii that instinctive. But it could be done.. if you don't think it can't. look at swiss an the released DIOS MIOS . every one i know on here said "it can't be done". even me.
ph34r.gif

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
shortz1994 said:
Dolphin could run on the wii,If people are willing to go through the process's( adding more/bigger flash "nand"). an If Dolphin could support lower versions of windows/linex..
I have seen it done, couple of geek friends i have,add the nand chip from another wii, an had more memory, just enough to get windows 95 to run. an the author of geexbox has linex system ported to wii. i just don't have the gonads, to try an mod my wii that instinctive. But it could be done.. if you don't think it can't. look at swiss an the released DIOS MIOS . every one i know on here said "it can't be done". even me.
ph34r.gif
That doesn't make any sense., what the hell have linux or win95 to do with this ?
Also what's the point of emulating more RAM when no gamecube games would be able to take benefit of it.
And nobody said Swiss or DIOS-MIOS weren't possible, "people" were barely understanding how these things worked when they were announced/released, they just wanted "usb loaders for gamecube games", which has yet to happen.
As well, nobody said that Dolphin could not be ported, it's just code and off course it probably could be, just that it would be the most stupid and slowest way to run gamecube games on wii, and the result would be very far from an emulator anyway, if it even reuses dolphin code.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jacobeian said:
And nobody said Swiss or DIOS-MIOS weren't possible, "people" were barely understanding how these things worked when they were announced/released, they just wanted "usb loaders for gamecube games", which has yet to happen.

I'm pretty sure he was joking.
Swiss was always easily possible, there were gamecube loaders that worked the same way already.

The problem with DIOS MIOS is that the hardware was designed in such a way that you have USB or the gamecube DSP. If it didn't rely on sneek and if the DIOS MIOS Lite source was available too (and also didn't rely on sneek) then I'm sure we'd see improvements. As it is crediar managed to make something that turned into a yawn fest quite quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: Just slow the song down and boom, instant meme