Does usps charge more to ship lithium?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Chocolina, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Chocolina
    OP

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    Usually when I'm selling something, it usually has a chargeable lithium battery inside, but I always tell USPS no when they ask me about lithium for fear they'll charge me more. Maybe they take different precautions like ground-shipping only, but is there any different in costs?

I find it a little hard to believe that tiny devices with tiny batteries pose much of a risk or threat when shipped, but wonder if the word lithium is a red flag that classifies all lithium of all sizes as a major threat.

I get the feeling if I said "yes" to the 80 year old teller at the facility, she's not going to ship it as a normal package.

2. Nebuleon

Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    There are restrictions on mailing lithium from the USA using the USPS.

The restrictions were revised on 2012-11-15, to allow some batteries with some lithium content to be mailed inside devices they are meant to operate. But you are not allowed to send lithium on its own.

Lithium, being an alkali, reacts violently with water. Being in the rain and treated badly by postal workers means that water could get in a package via a small fissure and put mail, and mail delivery people, in danger of being destroyed.

Think of this when mailing lithium in the future.

IN BEFORE EDGE OF FORUM STUPID REPLIES

3. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Yes. You gotta take 'em or lithi-'em!
    Touché.

4. Chocolina
    OP

Chocolina GBAtemp Fan

May 28, 2012
    United States
    Thank you.

and I did post in the edge of forum because this was a nothing-topic, a question not worth discussing. I also welcome and encourage frivolous posting in any thread of any topic even if they don't suit a purpose for anyone, myself included. Its a freedom thing. A dozen silly replies is more than fine so long as a legitimate one is amongst them. Since alot of you are sticklers for rules, I prefer posting my personal questions in the edge of forum.

5. DinohScene

DinohScene Dino May Fire

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    That, was the absolute worst pun I ever heard.
    Please stop :c

slingblade1170 and XDel like this.
  6. XDel

XDel Author of the Alien Breed Odamex Projekt.

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Solaris
    Yes, he's the master of those. :)

7. grossaffe

grossaffe GBAtemp Addict

May 5, 2013
    United States
    Watch out, because the USPS is known to throw things with lithium batteries into the incinerator.

8. trumpet-205

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Jan 14, 2009
    United States
    Don't know if this is still in effect but in the past lithium battery can only be transported by ground shipping.

9. Nebuleon

Nebuleon MAH BOI/GURL

Dec 22, 2012
    Canada
    Sometimes you have to have a really bad pun so the good ones can shine more. This is one of those times.

Gahars and XDel like this.