Hacking Does SPEED matter? On MICRO SDHC? HELP please! :(

gunzresident

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, i just want to ask a quick question. I just bought an acekard 2i, and i just want to know if the speed of the memory card matters? I heard there's class 2, 4, and 6 i believe. Please give me recommendations on what to buy, or tell me if any kind will do. THANKS!

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
a lot of people think to seem that it matters but it doesn't really I've been using a 16GB class 2 for a long time now and it is pretty fast but if people want to spend more money on class 4 or class 6 that's their problem.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well, speed counts a little bit but not much. The only thing people use the speed of their MicroSD is for when they copy games as they tend to be a bit large so the faster the write speed the better. Class 6 is said to be the fastest class so if you want speed you can go with that if you want. I don't believe it will have an effect on the performance of the Acekard.

jak larnak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What is important for micro SD is the "random access". This is what determines the reading speed, not the class.
The best micro SD cards have a

thiefraccoon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin will freeze on slow cards.
(had a class2 4gb. and had to get a class6 8gb to play PoR)
I think there are couple more that does that, but can't remember.
^Jack's list seems great for reference!

Sinistral89

Trophies
XP
Country
For Castlevania:PoR akaio made some improvements so that the game won't freeze even if you have a slow MicroSD. That's atleast what I have heard.

Leonidas

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Sinistral89 said:
For Castlevania:PoR akaio made some improvements so that the game won't freeze even if you have a slow MicroSD. That's atleast what I have heard.
Yes this is true, the game works flawlessly on any Micro SD as long as you use AKAIO 1.5 or better. You should thank norm for making all this possible.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL. This is like one of those "does size matter arguments." Of couse it does.
If all you have is a crap SD then use it it will still get the job done. For the best results though I recommned the fastest one your money can buy.

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Mantis41 said:
If all you have is a crap SD then use it it will still get the job done. For the best results though I recommned the fastest one your money can buy.
Come on, don't spread misinformation.

Class X means the minimum write speed a SD card has. This is only important when you want your files copied onto it faster. For playing games, random access is all that counts. Like jak larnak says, the Japanese Kingston cards are very good for playing DS games. That said, for most games any card will do.

Mantis41

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maikel Steneker said:
Mantis41 said:
Come on, don't spread misinformation.

Class X means the minimum write speed a SD card has. This is only important when you want your files copied onto it faster. For playing games, random access is all that counts. Like jak larnak says, the Japanese Kingston cards are very good for playing DS games. That said, for most games any card will do.
Cards with a higher write speed will generally have a higher read speed. Higher write speeds also improve games with large saves such as Pokemon SS/HG. I have seen save times go from 12secs down to 2 or 3secs with different SD cards. Although I haven't played it I would imagine this would also imapct on D.I.Y. quite a bit.

jak larnak

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mantis41 said:
Cards with a higher write speed will generally have a higher read speed. Higher write speeds also improve games with large saves such as Pokemon SS/HG. I have seen save times go from 12secs down to 2 or 3secs with different SD cards. Although I haven't played it I would imagine this would also imapct on D.I.Y. quite a bit.
It's true that a higher class card will improve the save write speeds but it will not necessary have a higher read speed (random access).
It depends of the card brand and quality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: