Does SPEED matter? On MICRO SDHC? HELP please! :(

Discussion in 'Acekard' started by gunzresident, Apr 12, 2010.

1. gunzresident
    OP

gunzresident Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 8, 2010
    United States
    Hello, i just want to ask a quick question. I just bought an acekard 2i, and i just want to know if the speed of the memory card matters? I heard there's class 2, 4, and 6 i believe. Please give me recommendations on what to buy, or tell me if any kind will do. THANKS!

2. syko5150

syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    California
    a lot of people think to seem that it matters but it doesn't really I've been using a 16GB class 2 for a long time now and it is pretty fast but if people want to spend more money on class 4 or class 6 that's their problem.

3. Hakoda

Hakoda GBAtemp Addict

Feb 2, 2008
    United States
    San Jose, CA
    Well, speed counts a little bit but not much. The only thing people use the speed of their MicroSD is for when they copy games as they tend to be a bit large so the faster the write speed the better. Class 6 is said to be the fastest class so if you want speed you can go with that if you want. I don't believe it will have an effect on the performance of the Acekard.

4. misssmk

misssmk Member

Newcomer
    Apr 9, 2010
    United States
    Thanks Hakoda for clearing that up. I was a bit confused myself. LOL Now I understand.

5. kleptodathief

kleptodathief Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2009
    United States
    im hoping my class 10 coremicro brand is fast, copying over 7gb of games will take at least 20 mins?

6. jak larnak

jak larnak GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2009
    France
    Not so far
    What is important for micro SD is the "random access". This is what determines the reading speed, not the class.
    The best micro SD cards have a

7. thiefraccoon

thiefraccoon GBAtemp Regular

Mar 14, 2010
    United States
    Castlevania : Portrait of Ruin will freeze on slow cards.
    (had a class2 4gb. and had to get a class6 8gb to play PoR)
    I think there are couple more that does that, but can't remember.
    ^Jack's list seems great for reference!

8. Sinistral89

Sinistral89 GBAtemp Regular

Sep 12, 2009
    Sweden
    For Castlevania:PoR akaio made some improvements so that the game won't freeze even if you have a slow MicroSD. That's atleast what I have heard.

9. Leonidas

Leonidas GBAtemp Fan

Aug 27, 2009
    Slovenia
    sLOVEnia
    Yes this is true, the game works flawlessly on any Micro SD as long as you use AKAIO 1.5 or better. You should thank norm for making all this possible.

10. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    LOL. This is like one of those "does size matter arguments." Of couse it does.
    If all you have is a crap SD then use it it will still get the job done. For the best results though I recommned the fastest one your money can buy.

11. Maikel Steneker

Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

May 16, 2007
    Netherlands
    Come on, don't spread misinformation.

Class X means the minimum write speed a SD card has. This is only important when you want your files copied onto it faster. For playing games, random access is all that counts. Like jak larnak says, the Japanese Kingston cards are very good for playing DS games. That said, for most games any card will do.

12. Mantis41

Mantis41 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jun 3, 2009
    United States
    earth
    Cards with a higher write speed will generally have a higher read speed. Higher write speeds also improve games with large saves such as Pokemon SS/HG. I have seen save times go from 12secs down to 2 or 3secs with different SD cards. Although I haven't played it I would imagine this would also imapct on D.I.Y. quite a bit.

13. jak larnak

jak larnak GBAtemp Regular

Jul 21, 2009
    France
    Not so far
    It's true that a higher class card will improve the save write speeds but it will not necessary have a higher read speed (random access).
    It depends of the card brand and quality.

14. Vietkid420

Vietkid420 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 11, 2010
    United States
    spped kind of matter im really impatience

15. tk_saturn

tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 26, 2010

16. coattails

coattails GBAtemp Regular

Mar 29, 2010
    Canada
    Montreal
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820211351

The price difference between a Class 2 and a Class 6 is at most a couple of bucks..
    Might as well just get a class 6.

But I've been living with an 8GB Class 2 Sandisk and I don't notice ANY slowdown in any game I play.. But it does take a while to copy stuff to the card.