Hacking does PASSCARD-3 still use the OLD flashing method?

dnte

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
does PASSCARD-3 still require this method? where you need to stick something in one of the hole of the DSlite
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uy28iIn6Lc&search=ds%20flash

I read somewhere that with the passcard 3, there's no worry of bricking the DS
I and also heard goods and complains of the passcard 3. can I get some pros and cons if possible please

I'm planning on getting a G6 lite and a passcard 3, would that be a complete package to play backup roms?
(m1st DS, new to site, did alot of reading on the G6 lite and EZ4 lite, but Never flashed anything before)

XxMxVxPxX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes. you still need to short the sl1. and if your ds fails to flash you might be able to recover it. search the forums. but it is still not 100% unbrickable. if you follow instructions. you will be fine.

yes a passcard 3 and g6 lite is all you need.

the pros of the passcard 3:
small
no need to worry about bricking during flash.
and i think its updatable

The cons of passme:
does not guard against bad homebrew or dumps. which can cause to briking of your ds

ridgecity

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You just need to buy the G6 and the passcard 3. you don't need to flash your DS to use them. Flashing the firmware is useful if you don't wanna used a pass device, but a passcard 3 will work the same as flashing your DS without void warranty.

naisho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that battery life is 1/2 when using passkey or passcard.
Remember too that your flashcart (G6 or whatever you buy) takes a lot more battery than normal DS games.
I have a Supercard SD and a Passkey3 and I flashed 2 DsLites so far no problems, I would say you should do that too.

ron555

Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
have heard that battery life is 1/2 when using passkey or passcard.
Remember too that your flashcart (G6 or whatever you buy) takes a lot more battery than normal DS games.

Where are people getting this BS information?

1/2? A passcard drains your battery from 10 hr -> 5 hr?

????

TheSpade

Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that battery life is 1/2 when using passkey or passcard.Â
Remember too that your flashcart (G6 or whatever you buy) takes a lot more battery than normal DS games.Â
I have a Supercard SD and a Passkey3 and I flashed 2 DsLites so far no problems, I would say you should do that too.

That is completely wrong. On my old DS, I was able to get 6 hours out of mine, but I didn't take into account how many times I charged the battery. So, with a worn battery, I lost only 1/3 of it's normal span. If the battery was newer, it could be about 10-15%, as most others have reported.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha..I'm almost getting tired of the BS about battery life with a NoPass device.

Folks, a NoPass device takes the same amount of battery power as a regular NDS card - in fact, probably less because the card is never accessed again after the initial load. The system keeps power to the slot, but that's what it's DESIGNED to do, you know, for regular NDS games.

The power drain comes from your FLASH KIT! Especially if you're using one that uses removable media. The DS was never designed to support the power requirements of a Secure Digital or Compact Flash card. Not to mention some cards (SuperCard, Ultra Media Card, Older GBA kits) simply drain more battery than others because of the cheaper components used inside the cart. Kits using better technology (aka EZ-Flash II PowerStar, EZ-Flash III, G6, M3, etc..) experience the battery drain solely from the removable media usage. Battery life loss with cards like these is negligble.

The absolute best battery life (aka almost no loss) comes from an EZ-Flash III era kit or a G6 - no removable media = barely any battery drain. Don't forget that when you use a NoPass device, the system uses both the DS and the GBA slot - something it can do, but wasn't factored into the 'best case scenario battery life figures' that Nintendo hands out.

Please folks, no more BS about the battery life! Get the facts straight, and post what FLASH KIT you use with your NoPass.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
But isn't it true that with a Nopass device, both slots are powered up,
whereas with Flashme, only the bottom slot is powered up (because only the bottom slot is in use)?

And with a regular game, only the top slot is powered.

That would mean that with an original game, you get most battery life, and with a flashcard you get a bit less battery life.

What everyone is forgetting is that the rest of the DS uses up much more power than either the game cartrige or the flashcard, or the flashcard/Nopass put together.

There's the two power-hungry processors, the speakers, the two screens, the two (very bright) backlights, the onboard RAM, and occasionally the extremely-power-hungry WiFi.

All of which use much more power than the card slots.

So even if the Nopass or flashcard triple the card-slot power output, it would still be a 10% decrease in battery life at most, and I bet pieces of my anatomy it's even less.

And as for the main topic of this thread,

QUOTE said:

WRONG,
the Nopass will not protect your DS from bricking during flashing,

you still have to short the SL1

but with a Nopass, you don't have to flash the DS to run homebrew.
And that reduces the risk of bricking during flashing: no flashing at all.

RyuKakashi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There's the two power-hungry processors, the speakers, the two screens, the two (very bright) backlights, the onboard RAM, and occasionally the extremely-power-hungry WiFi.

Very good post about flashing. As for this quote, if i just turn volume all the way down, will power not enter speakers or will it be sucking up battery anyway?

Houou

Trophies
XP
Country

Very good post about flashing. As for this quote, if i just turn volume all the way down, will power not enter speakers or will it be sucking up battery anyway?

Not sure if it wont enter the speakers, but it definatly sucks less or more power depending on your volume setting.

naisho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what is the point behind flashing at all if you already have a Passcard? I did it to remove the longer load times (Passkey -> Supercard -> Game) and because I read in #ndstemp that there were power disadvantages to the Passkey (but i guess it's exactly the same as using a flashed DS, from a few responses right here).

The only reason I can think of is if you have to save to a DS cart for a new release or some homebrew game instead of being able to save to your flashcart and that can't be done on the Paskey.

Deaddy

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

QUOTE said:

WRONG,

It looked to me like he meant no need to worry about bricking because you aren't flashing at all.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia

QUOTE said:

WRONG,

It looked to me like he meant no need to worry about bricking because you aren't flashing at all.

That's what I said two lines down from what you quoted:

but with a Nopass, you don't have to flash the DS to run homebrew.
And that reduces the risk of bricking during flashing: no flashing at all.

He may have meant that, but it came out wrong.
From what I've seen, a lot of noobs think that the Passcard 3 will protect the DS from bricking during flashing
blink.gif

That's just not true.

I blame the poor Engrish translations in the product description.
lecture.gif

yuwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Haha..I'm almost getting tired of the BS about battery life with a NoPass device.

Folks, a NoPass device takes the same amount of battery power as a regular NDS card - in fact, probably less because the card is never accessed again after the initial load. The system keeps power to the slot, but that's what it's DESIGNED to do, you know, for regular NDS games.

The power drain comes from your FLASH KIT! Especially if you're using one that uses removable media. The DS was never designed to support the power requirements of a Secure Digital or Compact Flash card. Not to mention some cards (SuperCard, Ultra Media Card, Older GBA kits) simply drain more battery than others because of the cheaper components used inside the cart. Kits using better technology (aka EZ-Flash II PowerStar, EZ-Flash III, G6, M3, etc..) experience the battery drain solely from the removable media usage. Battery life loss with cards like these is negligble.

The absolute best battery life (aka almost no loss) comes from an EZ-Flash III era kit or a G6 - no removable media = barely any battery drain. Don't forget that when you use a NoPass device, the system uses both the DS and the GBA slot - something it can do, but wasn't factored into the 'best case scenario battery life figures' that Nintendo hands out.

Please folks, no more BS about the battery life! Get the facts straight, and post what FLASH KIT you use with your NoPass.

Another thing to think about is to enable sleep mode, u gotta put a game into the DS slot. I think that should drain as much power as a passme device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Nighty night.