Does Install Data matter if you run games from HDD?

Discussion in 'PS3 - Hacking & Homebrew' started by GamerzHell9137, Sep 12, 2014.

1. GamerzHell9137
    OP

GamerzHell9137 GBAtemp Psycho!

Nov 1, 2011
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    Some games force you and some not to install data on your PS3.
    Now cause on CFW all games go on HDD, would installation data make the games run faster?
    Most games install those cause of the loading times so i was asking if it would make a difference.

2. gunner007

gunner007 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    It doesn't make it necessarily faster, but for some you're forced to install anyway so it'll take up additional space.

3. godreborn

godreborn GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 10, 2009
    United States
    well, the system doesn't know the games r stored on the hdd. syscalls 35 and 36 spoof the game location. syscall 35 is for gamedata tool (i.e. spoofing installed games like psn or dlc content); syscall 36 is for app_home which would be for retail games. the system itself believes what u've mounted is inside the bd drive, so it doesn't know that it's on ur hdd.

installation is meant to make games run faster due to the limitations of the bd drive within the ps3. the way it works is that bd laser will read the first half of the disc quickly, but the second half very slowly (even slower than DVD) which is a flaw with the read speeds of the bd drive of the ps3. that's the reason for mandatory installs. since ur games r already on the hdd, it makes no difference. and, as I mentioned above, the system doesn't realize the games r on ur hdd, so it'll install the data anyway. u can negate it via modifying a specific extension, but the EBOOT.BIN will look for files locations on the hdd or within the location specified by the spoof, so it's pointless to do so.