Hacking Does AnyRegion Changer work?

Nickoten

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're going to question the ethics of someone wanting to run hacks on their device in an attempt to play an import game they legitimately own, you really have to wonder what you're doing on this forum in the first place, because that is certainly one of the most innocuous uses of things like this.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I wanted to install the NTSC WAD's of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on my PAL vWii, but converting the WAD's with 'free the WADs' to a different region made the games really laggy. So, is it possible to use AnyRegion Changer to install and play these games? Or is there maybe another method which makes the NTSC WAD's normally playable on my PAL system?

Thanks in advance :)
AnyRegion Changer would not work, the system menu is encrypted and if you try to overwrite it, you get a bricked vWii. Wait for Priiloader to be updated for vWii, this will enable region free channels.

That would be a bad idea anyway. The region free patches have been known to cause stability issues with the System Menu. Oddly, not everybody experiences them though, so it may be different versions of the patch.
I've had no issues with it, so it would be worth a shot when Priiloader is updated.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Haven't tried it but a backup loader might be able to force the video mode on channels installed in the NAND. If what you're saying is true that the change in frame rate from 50hz to 60hz actually speeds up the game (even though in this case it would just be NTSC upscaled to HD instead of PAL upscaled to HD) Then it might respond to the forced framerate.

Also, I would think that a backup loader would also be able to ignore region restrictions.

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Haven't tried it but a backup loader might be able to force the video mode on channels installed in the NAND. If what you're saying is true that the change in frame rate from 50hz to 60hz actually speeds up the game (even though in this case it would just be NTSC upscaled to HD instead of PAL upscaled to HD) Then it might respond to the forced framerate.

Also, I would think that a backup loader would also be able to ignore region restrictions.
Not a bad idea, try wiiflow and go to the channel menu by pressing B and clicking the icon with the squares on it, then find your vc game and click the gear and change video mode to 'system' and start the game in wiiflow.
Don't think you can run it on the wii menu in 60 though...

EDIT: tested doesn't work :sad:

m0p13p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Not a bad idea, try wiiflow and go to the channel menu by pressing B and clicking the icon with the squares on it, then find your vc game and click the gear and change video mode to 'system' and start the game in wiiflow.
Don't think you can run it on the wii menu in 60 though...

EDIT: tested doesn't work :sad:

Hey Kippikip,

Thanks for trying at least, It may get us one step closer :P

m0p13p

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Allright, I finally have got it to work properly! I got the NTSC WAD´s fully working through WiiFlow. Kippykip was actually pretty close by selecting a different ´video mode´. Instead of System, I choose NTSC, and then it did start, on 60Hz and normal audio. Thank you everyone for helping :)

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Allright, I finally have got it to work properly! I got the NTSC WAD´s fully working through WiiFlow. Kippykip was actually pretty close by selecting a different ´video mode´. Instead of System, I choose NTSC, and then it did start, on 60Hz and normal audio. Thank you everyone for helping :)
Thats great to hear!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: 4th wife