PS1/2 Does anyone know if ESR reads CD's?

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I seem to have misplaced my AR Max EVO disc for the PS2 so I can't recreate the ind. exploit. I did however, tricked out my DVD player by turning it into an ESR loader so that it'll read burned discs if it detects any. What I want to know is, can ESR run CD's, or is it DVD only? I want to use ulaunchelf, but I can't find any answers for my question on google.

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I personally have tried it with CD-R's, and it just won't read it...

I've tried every possible way, even changing the booktype to DVD, but it just won't read... when it reads the DVD booktype, it changes the laser mode to DVD, and it can't read CD's no matter how hard you try.

There is an exploit out there for one model type of PS2 that will read PSx CD's, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it's called...

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I read everywhere that you have to patch cd games to dvd and burn them on dvd to get them working with ESR. I'm almost sure ESR doesn't support cds.

SirSweeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow ...its been a while since I did any work on the ps2...
anywho...
To put it simply, If your goal is to play ps1 games via ESR then you are out of luck...
If want to play a ps2 cd game then as wiipower stated before, you only need to patch said cd game to dvd ...
let me know if you need help with any of that and remember to always include a dummy file

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's already been answer many times about why ESR does not work with CDs. ESR makes the DVD game look like a DVD-Video allowing it to bypass the security checks. CDs aren't DVDs hence they don't work. You can try to convert a PS2 CD game into a DVD and then use ESR and see if it works.

There really isn't an exploit for playing PSX on the PS2, it's just a simple loader that simplifies a process that was found in the original PS2 browser. PSX games can be played without ESR and on non-software modded PS2s (v9 and up and you'd still have to hardware mod to be able to swap).

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, I see. I was going to burn ulaunchelf on a CD instead of DVD, mainly because I have thousands of blank CD's but only 2 DVD's left, which I'm reserving for future use. Looks like I'll just have to find my AR disc instead
frown.gif

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
I did however, tricked out my DVD player by turning it into an ESR loader so that it'll read burned discs if it detects any.

IF you're not yet FMCB'd up can you explain this statement more clearly....

ChaosBoi

Ushiromiya Battler
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What I meant is, I modified the DVD Player that's stored on the memory card by replacing one of the files within with the ESR loader, did some minor hex editing to make it look like a DVD Player version update, and loaded it back into my memory card through the Ind. Exploit. This allows ESR to start up everytime a backup PS2 game is inserted.

I don't remember much about the process, but I did follow a guide on PSX-Scene on how to do it. I didn't like how slow FMCB was making my PS2 start up and how much space it was taking up on my memory card, so I used this method.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY