Hardware Does a formated Wii U read the HDD that it has formated?

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
I have that question since it's said and proven that you can only use your Wii U's HDD on the Wii U you formated from, but what happened if, for some random reason, you need to format your Wii U (not the hdd, THE WII U), can you still access to the saved games you have on your old HDD? or it's iremediably lost as it has now not access to the old HDD?

just that question?

i don't wanna try it myself, since that means add the Nintendo Network again, and whanot...you know, the usual issue of downloading everything again...?

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best guess is that it could.

Content is tied to the console. You can format the Wii U and sell it and the new owner can still download the games you bought digitally.

I had a Gamestop Wii that I transferred to my Wii U and I got a couple of purchases migrated over from the previous owner.

Having said all that I think it could, but you could also redownload everything (regardless of ID) so I don't think it matters too much.

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
well, it doesn't matter if you re-download the game...but the same doesn't apply to saved games! that's why I am making the question.
also, I was hopping for a concrete answer, since "Best Guess" is not that reassuring...and I don't like to loss all my progress on Assassins Creed on the wii u only to experiment on my console to find out that after formatting the wii u, all my progress goes locked down, doomed to be formatted.
yeah, i know, i sound exaggerated but one is never too paranoid. Specially since id like to hack the vWii to play some Wii games while I save for a few Wii U games, but I also want to be able to send the Wii U to get a fix in case the dreaded 105-3102 error code appears again! I have to send to repair my first wii u and they sended me the second one (note; I live in Mexico, so they where less picky about changing the console...i DID format it last time but...alas, the error persisted and obviously my saved data was doomed that time. I learned latter that it was because they where DIFERENT consoles, of course....but I don't wanna run the risk this time)

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait, hold on, what?

You can transfer your save data to USB storage? Since when?

Game saves are sort of messed up and confusing on this console. I have been trying to find a way to back up my games saves.

Last time I looked in to this was when they added the hard drive transfer ability that basically lets you get a bigger drive and copy your stuff over to it so you don't have to re download everything. I contacted Nintendo about this and they said this did not allow you to back up game saves. They said they would note down my input about game saves but there was no way to back them up....

I already lost a ton of progress in Lego City Undercover. So frustrating.

In addition it is confusing because some games but not all of them tie your save data to your user profile. Now I put a password on my account and make my kids use a separate one to prevent save erasing. Now I wish I could transfer some game saves from on user to another. Some games we play together, others separately.

The whole thing is just a mess in my opinion. Inconsistencies between shared or separate saves among users and having game saves basically locked to the console hardware.....

blaisedinsd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well dang, I just looked it up and i guess it was added with a system update (which one?)

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sy...u=how_to&submenu=wup-usb-ht-back-up-save-data

So you can back up to USB storage only and not SD cards. SD card is only for Wii mode still I guess.

Are you saying your game save data, even when backed up, is still tied to the console hardware?

I can't back up my mario save to USB, take it to a friends house, and play my game save on his console?

This should have its own thread....didn't I make one way back when? I will have to search

Xabring

OP
Trophies
Website
xabring.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Mexico
aaaannndd thats why, again, I brought up the question....since, yeah, you can back up your game data on the HDD, but i wondered if it you format the wii u, you can still use that same saved game after that?

maybe I wasn't clear at the beginning, but now you got the idea!

and yeah, the data is still tied to the console....that's how I discovered they changed the console instead of repairing it or something

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjy9nc5QwBY