Do You think there is going to be a video game crash?

Do You think there is going to be a video game crash?

• Total voters

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What the fuck is this?

EDIT: The NA vidya gaem crash had more to so with oversaturation of the market with shit consoles and shit gaems than boycotts. The Xbone will be fine because most people have no principles.

Reactions: Veho and Gahars

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Yes, because oranges.

The "Video Game Crash", was caused by over saturation of garbage, as Emigre already said. Even if the Xbone tanks miserably, (Which it won't, because video games are so popular, and people will buy just about anything nowadays) the market would still be considerably strong.

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To piggyback off of what everyone else is saying, just because one console is shit doesn't mean people will stop buying video games altogether. The market didn't crash when the Saturn or the Virtual Boy or the Jaguar or the Gizmondo saw the light of day - the industry won't seize and collapse because one company shits the bed.

There's more than enough alternatives for consumers to keep on keeping on.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted yes on the question. But I totally disagree with the OP.

From what I read/watched on youtube, that crash was caused by a flood of incompatible-but-barely-different consoles and horrible games (ET and a pac-man clone being the best examples), bundled with total ignorance of the customer by the ones in charge of the industry. The consumers didn't boycott anything (look up the meaning if the following sentence confuses you). At best, they simply decided that gaming wasn't worth their money.

One (being a) poor console is, as mentioned, exxaggerated. Even more because the thing hasn't been released yet (and honestly...with the amount of gaming news coming out lately, it'd be pointless to make any conclusions).

It does, however, have total ignorance of the customer by the ones in charge of the industry. EA's sim city, and that microsoft actually wanted their always-on with the console proves that. They're listening to stock holders or marketeers...the customer is reduced to being but a byproduct.
The main difference is that those marketeers aren't stupid. They'll hold off the crash for a while. But that's the thing: they'll hold it off. They won't stop it. Sooner or later, people are going to be tired of all the cover-based shooting and the games that look exactly like all other games because they cost way too much for the developers to take any risk.

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care either way, as there's enough fans to continue making very interesting games and mods on their own, and next to that, I have a library that runs over 40 fucking consoles. I don't need new games when you have that many to go through.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had one before that, and never had one since