Gaming Do you think Nintendo needs more first party developers?

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not big ones like sega or capcom. But smaller ones consisting of 200 people or less. The only ones they've purchased in the last 10 years are retro studios and monolith soft. That's not enough. Nintendo has so many IPs that are just lying dormant (star fox, f-zero, metroid). If they don't have the resources to make some new games themselves, then buy some new developers on staff and have them crank out sequels to popular franchises. Here's a complied list of examples:

Platinum Games - Starting with the most obvious one. They like Nintendo, they have Wii U dev kits, they've worked closely with Nintendo - if Nintendo bought them nobody would be surprised. Hell, they even flat out said that they'd love to be a second party developer for Nintendo.

Next Level Games - Based in Vancouver Canada. They've made excellent games for Nintendo. Like Luigi's mansion dark moon, Super mario strikers, Mario strikers charged, and Punch-out!! Nintendo needs to snatch them up already.

Monster Games Studio - Based in Minnesota USA. They mostly specialize in racing games. They've made Excitetruck, ExciteBots trick racing, Excitebike world rally, Pilotwings resort, Donkey kong country returns 3D. Nintendo should give them the keys to F-zero or a new Wii Sports and let them go to town.

Treasure - Would add one of the world's best shmup developers. These guys would make an awesome Star Fox. Or even Sin & Punishment 3!

Sandlot - Maker's of the EDF games. They have a small but vocal fanbase.

Frictional Games - developers of Amnesia. Just about perfect for an Eternal Darkness reboot.

Armature Studio - New, small studio that has done good work with some handheld ports.

Shin'en - Nearly a Nintendo developer anyway. Might as well make it official.

WayForward - They like Nintendo as well and the majority of their development is Nintendo-focused. Often considered as a good choice for a potential 2D Metroid game.

Sidhe - Developers of Gripshift and Shatter. They haven't done much of note in the past few years but when they make original stuff they are very good at rethinking and modernising basic concepts from older games.

Sumo Digital - These guys would also make an awesome F-zero. Their most recent work - Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed - is one of the best Wii U racing games and one of the best arcade-style racers in years. Difficult target though - they are consistently and reliably rumoured to be working on LBP3 so are unlikely to be buyable just yet.

Yager Development - Makers of Yager and Spec Ops: The Line, an FPS acclaimed for its narrative.

Grasshopper - I think buying this studio might turn out to be a mistake and I'm not sure they fit with Nintendo, but they have a fanbase and an interesting (if quite erratic) history.

Q-Games - Developers of the PixelJunk series (they have also worked with Nintendo on two Star Fox games), they're a small team with a surprising breath of games experience.

That's all I can think of. Adding even just half of these teams to their in house subsidiaries would be a huge help for Nintendo. All of them are relatively small teams and therefore wouldn't cost much for Nintendo to buy. Also, remember that Nintendo is not getting hardly any third party support. To counter this, they should focus on acquiring smaller talented development teams and increase their in house studios to pick up the slack. Anyone agree?

Clarky

Don't you know who I think I am?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't really agree so much on the idea of them buying more studios, it would probably cost them more to buy those studios than they would ever make any profit on them. I like them collaborating with certain studios to make certain games, like Next Level as you pointed out to do Luigi's Mansion.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hasn't Next Level Games done some Nintendo stuff before? I think they did the Mario Strikers game for the Gamecube?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'm going to play devil's advocate here a bit...

Exactly what would nintendo solve by buying or hiring more studios?

For some reason, everyone's sucked into believing the console had no(t enough) games, but that isn't the real issue*. Their issue is lack of grade A third party support and having a reputation of being just for kids. Adding more games of the same franchises aren't going to sell more consoles**. Rather the contrary: those other companies know that people buy nintendo consoles for nintendo games. It's downright risky for them to develop games for it.

...which turns the idea of nintendo making efforts to make more games (by getting more studios) into a vicious circle, as those studios will be pretty much competing with each other (customers can't buy ALL the games nintendo produces...or has a hand in). And the market of wiiu users isn't exactly big enough for that.

*don't believe me? Fine...do a head count of available wiiu games and then of the ps3 and xbone. even without counting the wiiu's backward compatibility, it's clear who has the most games on the system.
**not entirely true. Of course it'll sell...but not in a way to win market share over the competition.

ortegoli

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think nintendo must buy more studio for create new ip
nintendo have much ip in platformer and rpg but havent shooter or hack'n slash
i think they must create ip for new user of wiiu until increase sell wiiu

driverdis

I am Justice
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love Nintendo to buy back Rare from Microsoft and make real 3D platformers like they used to "back in the day".
I want a real Banjo Kazooie 3 for one.

of course, that will never happen. it was Nintendo after all that sold its remaining shares of Rare (~49%) back to the Stamper brothers who then sold them to Microsoft. Nintendo pretty much allowed the sale to happen by selling its shares back.
They must of had some reason to do that.

Bryon15

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought that purchasing a company made them a second party developer. :unsure:

Nah. A lot of people get confused by this. When a publisher buys a company, they become first party. Which is wholly owned by said publisher. A good example of this is when Nintendo bought Monolith Soft from Namco-bandai. A second party is when an independent company signs a contract with a publisher to create games only for their systems. But they are not technically owned by said publisher. This is what Next Level Games did with Nintendo, and what Platinum Games wants to do.

Reactions: JoostinOnline

paulee123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imo it doesnt matter, imo the wii u is gonna be finished within 2 years. no support for it. a shame really. the desicion makers need to resign. imo

Reactions: osirisjem

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
imo it doesnt matter, imo the wii u is gonna be finished within 2 years. no support for it. a shame really.
Agreed.
the decision makers need to resign. imo
Agreed.

Interesting article here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Not only is the Wii U a last gen console with a crappy unpopular controller ... Nintendo is a pain to develop for.

And no Mario Kart 8 for Christmas 2013 ?

It's like Nintendo isn't even trying !!!

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I guess this topic is a thing again? Well, alright.

I'm not so sure it's a problem of numbers. I mean, Nintendo already has a relatively large stable of developers under their belt (and that number increases if we include 2nd parties). It's more a question of output. Nintendo would do themselves a whole lotta good by producing a wider variety of games with a wider range in appeal. They've got plenty of dormant franchises and there's always room for experimenting with something new.

Reactions: osirisjem

paulee123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Agreed.

Agreed.

Interesting article here
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-secret-developers-wii-u-the-inside-story

Not only is the Wii U a last gen console with a crappy unpopular controller ... Nintendo is a pain to develop for.

And no Mario Kart 8 for Christmas 2013 ?

It's like Nintendo isn't even trying !!!

after reading that article it's a smh, ps4 & xbo have sold more or at least the same amount of machines in less than 2 months as this machine which hs been out one year. No nintendotvii in europe, no promised firmware to allow 2 gamepads to work together. also after reading that article about low noise its more louder than a ps3 slim? wierd

a shame really, their intentions were great just that the innovation blinded their judgement.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, The Doom NES cartridges, a few batches were made. One was given to AVGN as...