• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you support marijuana legalization?

subcon959

@!#?@!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't care what people do in their own home I just don't want little kids to be forced to inhale cigarette smoke (of any kind). I already commented on another topic that it's almost impossible to go to the supermarket without at least a couple people smoking at the entrance or exit. So, do whatever but ban it (smoking) from all public spaces.

Edit: It's specifically the smoke that bothers me, I don't care about the cannabis. Edibles may be the answer.

Last edited by subcon959,

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I totally agreed that marijuana is very healthy for your body. And I totally supported it but something to do with medicine like herbs and spices that can be use for your food. Thats part of healthy.

Smoke marijuana is not healthy and that's not an opinion. That's the fact. Use it as a herbs and spices and not to inhale smoke inside your body.

Last edited by spotanjo3,
Reactions: AlexMCS

Skelletonike

♂ ♥ Gallant Pervert ♥ ♀
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I wanted a Poll, was expecting a Poll. I am disappointed.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, it's already legal for medicinal purposes, and that's how it should remain for me.

Just noticed this is an old thread, why was it necrobumped? Dx

Last edited by Skelletonike,
Reactions: AlexMCS

Purple_Heart

GBATemp´s weirdest Individual
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
marihuana helps me against my massive backpain.....but sadly i have not a classified illess to get a license ...fk germany....so either illegal or cbd weed (i take cbd cause the street weed here is mostly cbd weed with artificial thc sprayed on....a dangerous chemical which makes u addictive)

• Wow
Reactions: slaphappygamer

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no reason not to support it. It honestly stems from a lot of bullshit that was built around hating it back in the day and the worst aspect that it can actually do to you is no worse than what Alcohol can do for you. The only difference is where the alcohol prohibition was eventually repealed the one on cannabis still remained as there were too many "interested parties" involved in suppressing its legalization. Whether it be the lumber industry because Hemp provided a cheaper and more durable material compared, whether it be some rich racist folk who wanted to make it illegal because it was supposedly being made popular by minority groups in which turn was being made popular in young white groups, and you know they can't have that because regardless of how good/bad it is, if its from a minority you bet your arse those racist jackasses will flip shit over it.

In short, cannabis was manipulated into being illegal by special interests with deep pockets and ties to the government back in the day. Not even in an exaggeration tin-foil hat conspiracy kind of way. The history about it is available for anyone who wants to look at it. The issue as to why it has taken so long to make it legal is because a majority of the people in the government now grew up either in the "Refer Madness" Generation or the "War on Drugs" Generation with their belief structure being as out of date as their mentality is for how this country should be run. This being a problem on both sides mind you. You won't find too many people above their 40's in the government that openly support legalization.

One last thing, did you know that DC allowed legalization before most other states have?

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
no. its still dangerous. you never know if youre vulnerable for psychic deseases that can be caused by using mary jane. one good smoke can ruin your life.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's specifically the smoke that bothers me, I don't care about the cannabis. Edibles may be the answer.

Edibles do absolutely nothing for me. Neither do capsules or tinctures. If I want any benefit from marijuana I have to smoke or vape it. I am 100% on board though with people not smoking around places like building/restaurant entrances. I am an ex cig smoker, and I HATE, HATE, HATE the smell of cigarettes. Nothing worse than going out to eat and there's 5 people out there puffing away right next to the door.

I wanted a Poll, was expecting a Poll. I am disappointed.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, it's already legal for medicinal purposes, and that's how it should remain for me.

Except it is not legal for medicinal purposes everywhere.

I support POT! though I haven't done it since I was 17, and quit those type of drugs. Now, just beer n cigs. And I rarely do them.

Except cigs and beer are both FAR worse for you than pot. You should have gone the other way. Ditch the nasty ass cigs and beer, and stick to just pot.

no. its still dangerous. you never know if youre vulnerable for psychic deseases that can be caused by using mary jane. one good smoke can ruin your life.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, but that is a complete crock of shit. LOL!

Dr_Faustus

Resident Robot Hoarder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh please, you have a better chance getting hooked on Percs or Oxy from your doctor than you do getting hooked on ingesting a leaf. The only way it becomes that addictive is if you already have an addictive personality, which if you do the green stuff will be the least of your problems compared to anything else you would get your hands on legally, easily or prescribed to you. The only other way it becomes that additive for you is if the stuff is laced with other chemicals to enhance your high, which in turn that can cause more problems in the long run. But that is not the fault of the MJ, that is the fault of the Angel Dust or other drugs you lace your shit with.

Mind you I am also not trying to hop on the "ban prescribing opiates" bandwagon either, I find their purpose important for those who need it for bad pain/are super sensitive to pain. The problem with that is more of a fault between the doctor and the patient than anyone else though. No one wants to take responsibility however so its gotta be the drug's fault or the company that makes them. They will be necessary depending on the person, just as MJ is for those that need it medicinally as well.

People need to take responsibility for themselves and their own bodies. Stop blaming inanimate objects for your failings of will, responsibility or self control. If I accidentally shot myself in the leg its not the fault of the gun or of the manufacturer, its my dumbass fault for doing so. We don't live in a world of self accountability anymore when we can shove responsibility onto others and be sue happy about it. Its sad when you think about it.

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
when i was 20 years old i had a good smoke from time to time. as the doctors said this was the reason for me to get a paranoic halluzinatic psychosis that made me stay in a lunatic asylum for a little more than a year. i couldnt believe that a few leafes couldve caused this. but at some points i tried it out and each time i smoked some pot the shizophrenia came back. but i didnt feel the connection. so it took me some time to understand. about 20 years ago i stopped it completely. my brain is okay enough again to go on living but im a broken man caused by mary jane.

dont mind my bad english please.

@D34DL1N3R : No need to become offensive.

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i was 20 years old i had a good smoke from time to time. as the doctors said this was the reason for me to get a paranoic halluzinatic psychosis that made me stay in a lunatic asylum for a little more than a year. i couldnt believe that a few leafes couldve caused this. but at some points i tried it out and each time i smoked some pot the shizophrenia came back. but i didnt feel the connection. so it took me some time to understand. about 20 years ago i stopped it completely. my brain is okay enough again to go on living but im a broken man caused by mary jane.

dont mind my bad english please.

@D34DL1N3R : No need to become offensive.

I was not being offensive, so there's no need for you to be offended. 🙂

That said, I don't believe for a second that marijuana caused your schizophrenia or psychosis. Exacerbated pre-existing conditions? Sure. But caused? I will never buy into that.

77Urmel77

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was not being offensive, so there's no need for you to be offended. 🙂

That said, I don't believe for a second that marijuana caused your schizophrenia or psychosis. Exacerbated pre-existing conditions? Sure. But caused? I will never buy into that.

i guess it is as allways. everybody needs to learn his own lesson. isnt it the case that very few people know for sure if they got preexisting conditions or menthal vulnerableties or not? for me it was rather surprising although you could be right. but im the only member of my family with something like this.

Last edited by 77Urmel77,

Slavaka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I fully support it. I am not a current user, but I had epilepsy when I was younger and this could have been a game changer. I think it should be under the same conditions as alcohol(as far as age, driving, etc). Also accepted for younger ages if medically relevent only. Just my 2 cents. Im sure not everyone agrees.

HRudyPlayZ

Developer, Gamer and Power User.
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I mostly support it, but at a few conditions.
- Smoking is only allowed in private, non workspace areas. Not in the streets, bars/restaurants/offices etc.
Why? Passive smoking is also an issue, and it would add a terrible smell to those locations otherwise.
- Eating (not smoking) drugs is ok everywhere.

If people want to smoke shit that is bad for their health, let them do so, especially since tobacco and alcohol are still legal, while having the same impact. As long as you don't impact the health of anyone else with your shit, i don't see a reason to deny it

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm for it! Unfoturnatly though it would prob be taxed so high, underground would still exist as a common.
8406730980020523723_mq.jpg

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As long as it's medically approved and/or it only involves the original indica and sativa strains then sure. I haven't smoked it for a while but it's always the high strength hybrids that cause serious problems if taken regularly and to excess. One friend of mine that smoked too much of the hybrid strains developed cannabis induced psychosis and biploar disorder. Not only was he sectioned under the mental health act but he couldn't remember anything he did on a daily basis. He couldn't even remember what his children looked like or how old they were or their names even though he did have some memories of having had children. Another friend also developed psyhchosis. These young kids and adults who start smoking it don't know what they could be letting themselves in for. The schools should make more of an effort on educating children about recreational drug use.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure who ever thought it was there right to say that anyone can't use it if they so please. I feel that you should be able to do what ever you want to your body as long as you are not pregnant, in which case you are threatening another life. That said, I have heard of countries that allow heroin addicts lay around in the park and piss and crap all over them selves. If they want help, they are offered it, if not, they are left alone so long as they leave others alone, and then those other's can use them as an example as to weather or not they themselves want to do it.

I wonder though, if we've all got such great boarder security, how in the hell do hard drugs keep pouring into our poor cities? In fact now a days it seems like it's not longer just the poor who are being targeted.

Mer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
If you'd asked me 25 years ago, I would have said no. And ironically, I smoked weed back then. But because I had experience with it, and with seeing what the habit did to some of my friends, I thought it would be an overall negative on society. What did it do to my friends, you ask? It made them irresponsible wrt: school, job responsibilities. They partied till late night/early morning, then would oversleep and miss class or show up late to work. Get fired. Get bad grades. It's like turning the volume knob down on potential. I saw some who exercised self-discipline, and one person in particular kept me somewhat on the rails then. My roommate my junior year of college was a guy who had flunked out when he was 19, then went in the Army. Made sergeant in 5 years, then came back to school. He refused to go out drinking or smoke on school nights. He got blasted every Friday and Saturday night. I mean drunk, stoned, even coke which I didn't do. But on Sunday night, it was coffee and books again. He graduated Summa Cum Laude. Being about 7 years older was a big part of it too, but his insistence on "showing up right" was the real thing that made him succeed. Most potheads I've known though ... they just will not turn down a bong hit.

But now, I'm in favor of legalization, in spite of the "couch" effect. Why? Because the negative impact on society that comes from trying to prohibit it is worse than the decreased outcomes that most people who smoke weed will 'suffer.' Keeping marijuana illegal empowers and enriches scumbags on the dealer side, and nurtures a totalitarian tendency on the law enforcement / govt side. The "war on drugs" has resulted in damage to our liberty (decades of Court decisions narrowing the 4th amendment), created the militarization trend for police and sown public disdain for the law generally, and created a gang culture in inner cities which young people who grow up there must be a part of by default. Not to mention the lives lost and violence from the criminal black market activity that prohibition necessitates. All of this has had a far worse effect on us than some people being lazy stoners.

Legalize it. But when you smoke, stay home, walk, get an Uber. Just don't drive. (don't even start with "I drive better high." That's bullshit.)
please tl;dr. also, no I don't support it. we shouldn't depend on a drug to make our lives easier. it costs money, it's bad for our health and we don't need it.

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Too be honest I smoked them nasty Cigs for 20 years, and on my 40th Bday, I knew I had to quit. I tried patches, vape stuff, Etc, but really my only happy medium was just occasionally through the day smoking weed. Been 6 years since I've smoked a Cig and I feel great, wait (Pssf, Pssf) Yea now I feel Great!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Took along time to fit it in?