Do you lose anything when you convert WBFS back to ISO ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Noob75, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Noob75
    OP

Noob75 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    I have some Wii games that are in WBFS and I want them in ISO format like they were originally. I want to use this simple program called:
    http://www.wbfstoiso.com/ Is this a good program to use ?

My question is once the file gets converted back to ISO will it be the same size and every intact 100% like when it was before, it got converted to WBFS ?

Last edited by Noob75, Jul 6, 2017
  2. Nyteshade714

Nyteshade714 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 12, 2010
    United States
    It'll never be exactly the same again, no. It should be 100% functional, and the size should be similar, but an md5/sha1 checksum of the converted file vs the original would never come back the same.

Tarmfot likes this.
  3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    You should use Wii Backup Manager instead, it's able to convert ISO to WBFS and back.
    I do believe you lose the update partition, and IIRC I tried burning a WBFS converted to ISO to disc once and it wouldn't run, so the games you convert back to ISO will only be compatible with USB Loaders and Dolphin, therefore I don't see much reason to convert them back as both USB Loaders and Dolphin support .wbfs files.
    Also, I think WBFS games are stored decrypted (not entirely sure about this), so they're probably trucha signed when they're converted back, that shouldn't be a huge issue though as cIOSes already have the trucha bug and there are ways to patch it back into any IOS.
    If it's just for archival purposes, better re-download the games so you're sure they're 1:1.

Tarmfot likes this.
  4. Noob75
    OP

Noob75 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    see my post below

Last edited by Noob75, Jul 6, 2017
  5. eduall

eduall GBAtemp Regular

May 29, 2014
    wrong post! tutorial?

HugaTheFox likes this.
  6. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    The only thing you really lose is storage space. WBFS only holds the data, but ISO has to include the empty zero data to make the disc use up all the available space on the disc. I just did this with my own backups, and a 1.5 GB WBFS file became a 4.7 GB ISO.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

You can't burn because the format of the contents is unreadable. It's why you can't rip a Wii Game on your PC, because of some hardware requirement most DVD burners don't have.

7. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Where did you ever hear such a thing?
    Before USB Loaders the only way to pirate Wii games was with a modchip and burned discs.
    True you can't rip them, but you can certainly burn them.

pelago likes this.
  8. Noob75
    OP

Noob75 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States

That's the thing it's kinda for archival purposes, but I do play them with Dolphin. I like having a clean ISO original set untouched. I had them like about 20 but a HDD failure I waited to long before I had a chance to back them up. These days finding them in ISO format is near impossible. Everybody and grandmother's putting them in WBFS format.

I may have to settle for these WBFS versions as long as they are still as capable/good as their ISO version with Dolphin I'll just have to live with it.

9. Locutus

Locutus Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2016
    Canada
    Wii Ultimate Unscrubber can convert wbfs to original iso

10. PokeAcer

PokeAcer Banned

Banned
    May 28, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Wales
    Wit can also convert WBFS back to ISO and since it can do a lot of things (Wiimmfi patch, extract to FST, ISO->WBFS, WBFS->ISO, ID reading, etc), it'd be a good thing to install.

http://wit.wiimm.de

pelago likes this.
  11. Noob75
    OP

Noob75 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States
    Thanks guys

12. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    There's no point in replacing the junk data. It's never read.

13. Locutus

Locutus Member

Newcomer
    Dec 15, 2016
    Canada
    If you want a verified original iso (matching redump's DB), then Wii Ultimate Unscrubber will get the job done. If 1:1 copies don't matter to you, then yes there is no point in replacing the junk data.

14. GreyWolf

GreyWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 2, 2015
    United States
    This is true, but unlike Gamecube discs the content on Wii discs is hashed so it can be verified without the entire original disc's contents. :)

15. Noob75
    OP

Noob75 Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2017
    United States

Actually I would like 1:1 copies, is Wii Ultimate Unscrubber is easy to use ? what settings do I use to get my 1:1 copies with these WBFS files ? Thanks