do you like mario, the character?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by migles, May 22, 2015.

1. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i just finished mario galaxy. and i enjoyed the game, after watching some cutscenes on the game i realized and thought, i hate mario...

plataformers is one of my favorite genre, and mario got plenty of good games, but the character just doesn't seem good...
    when he speaks, i always make this face the really bad english.. i can't stand it...
    his body is really weird... as well his hands size...his face.... i don't like neither the design and shape etc...
    nintendo of course is still stuck in the 90s (did anyone noticed they always show a nes or other very old console on their videos?)

what are you thoughts about the mario\luigi characters? do you like it? do you think nintendo would be better with a new mascot?

2. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    i have posters if him, toys of him, clothes of him, tons of his games , know everything about him really, and he is probably one of my favorite game characters ever

3. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
  4. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I've always loved Nintendo. Pokemon Yellow was the first "real" videogame I ever really played, followed by Ocarina of Time on my buddy's N64, and I was a Star Fox fan long before I ever realized I was a furry (i.e.: my being a fan was based solely on my liking of the game itself :P ). That being said, no, I've never liked Mario much. I've never had much love for his games or his character in general, though I do play some Mario64 (DS version or regular, depends on if I have my PSP or my DS with me) now and then. I won't deny he's mega-popular, and props for the Big N's ability to keep him going unlike other characters from his era *couch*Sonic*cough*. And yeah, they seem to like showing old NES or SNES systems in paticular, almost like, "Hey, remember these things? We made them, remember how great they are? We're Nintendo...P-please don't put us in the garage next to your Ouya and CD-i consoles :( ." But do I think they need a new mascot? No. Like it or not, Mario is Nintendo's symbol and cash cow. Ditching him at this point would be probably their worst decision of all time (and they make enough of those already). Not to mention the Nintendo fanbase would probably be thrown into chaos and civil war over the replacement :P

migles likes this.
  5. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    All I can really say about Mario is that I prefer Luigi, Wario and Waluigi over Mario.

EUGH. Gametheory annoys the living hell outta me.

6. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    I love his games, but I find him pretty bland.

migles and Tomato Hentai like this.
  7. osm70

osm70 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 17, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I will tell you a secret.
    You do NOT have to watch it.
    Then you won't be annoyed.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  8. Tomato Hentai

Tomato Hentai baja boner blast

Oct 30, 2014
    Canada
    actually north korea. please send help
    I didn't watch it but still I just..... E U Gh

9. MaskedRed

MaskedRed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale
    I personally like Luigi More, Paper Mario TTYD, Luigi's Mansion, and Mario and Luigi: Dream team is a pretty big reason why, but in the Rpg genre mario is pretty cool. You can say i like RPG Mario more than Mario the platformer if it came down to it.

10. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    At this point, Mario is pretty much used as a mascot in the same way that Mickey Mouse is relegated as the mascot for Disney even though the character hasn't starred in anything recently.

11. migles
    OP

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.

i think i was not clear.. i am talking about the character itself.. not the games..
    you can like a character, but don't like the games, or vice versa, i wanted to talk about the character, the "guy" not the games

to add something to topic:
    i kinda liked the old mario. the old designs... but at some point they changed it... i don't know what exactly, i think its the body size.. or the weird face.. i really don't like to see it...
    i loved wario... sadly they don't make wario land games anymore... or didnt made a wario land in 3d.. (there was one at "2.5D" and i am not really a fan of 2.5D games)
    but the wario character, is super cool

12. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Pink Foxi

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I guess I should clarify. I meant that I have never gotten much enjoyment out of any aspect of Mario. Be it his games or character design. And yeah, they have changed it up a bit/lot. Like Sonic, he's gotten less pudgy over the years, among other things :P . That and the general art style over at the Big N for most Mario games and promotional material over the last several years seems to lean almost toward a style reminiscent of older Pixar CG movies, with an almost Disney spin thrown in (Big Hero 6 is one of their recent CG movies created outside of Pixar, done with their Hyperion rendering pipeline).

the_randomizer and migles like this.
  13. MaskedRed

MaskedRed Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 11, 2015
    United States
    Inside A Giant Whale
    I dont know if that was directed at me as well, but those games that i mentioned are the reason why i like mario but this mario is the RPG mario(since technically its still mario but for me he's different here than his normal games), Same for luigi. and the design hasn't really changed but more of the art style itself.

14. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    Absolutely.
    Mario is creepy as fuck. Especially when he wears animal suits. Ew.

15. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I can see how quality would annoy a Nintendo fan.

16. Thirty3Three

Thirty3Three Musician Member

Mar 22, 2013
    United States
    Wherever you want me, baby.
    Nope. Not Italian enough.

17. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    Meh, Mario is bland af.
    I rather have Pit.
    He cute af~

18. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein More coffee, please!

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    I think Mario has so much depth as the general stickman, but it would be insulting to put a stickman or a blob into a game (someone tell sakurai), so they just gave the stickman a name and some very stereotypical figure/character with no real self at all.
    There is nothing to like or to hate there, Mario is... hollow... Just your average stickman starring some nice games....

19. Acidflare

Acidflare HomeBrew Beta Tester

Aug 16, 2013
    Canada
    Nether World
    where have you been in the last 34 years? Mario has gone through a lot of changes since 1981 when he first appeared as a blue and white sprite in the arcade game donkey kong
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

20. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    Sonic and Crash Bandicoot are far more annoying so let me have Mario. Most mascot's are based around 'Attitude' and 'Xtreme' teenage marketing, yuck. Mario is humble and funny which makes him an ideal VG hero.