Do you hike or backpack?

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I just went on my first hike. We went almost 6 miles up hill, switchbacks and all, and set up camp. We each had our own backpack. I borrowed a backpack, sleeping bag, and a tent. I had a blast. The hike was moderate. It was hot af, but I wasn’t all banged up after. Bugs were plentiful and around most of the hike. The campsite was nice, but fires were banned. Nothing got wet the next morning. Is was a bit warmish in the morning. We are talking about going for 3 days and 2 nights. I think we would have a better time camping since we’d probably be able to have a fire.

I’m taking a deep dive into gear of all sorts. I want to get my own tent and backpack. I have a 30 degree sleeping bag already and it wasn’t much bigger than the one I borrowed. I figure I can wait on a new sleeping bag. I want to save up and get a super dope $300-400 20 degree down bag.

The backpack, I’m looking at the osprey volt 60l. I’m going with a $200 budget for the backpack.

The tent is where my struggle is. I’m looking at a $200ish budget for a double wall tent. This one seems great, but I may be a bit tall for it.

Any hikers here? I’d appreciate any input or recommendations.

Deleted member 507653

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hiking is one of my favorite pastimes!

For gear in general, it's a good idea to check out local specialty shops because sometimes they will have a returned goods section with specialized gear compared to your local big supermarket. If you're in the US, REI is a great store to check out (website: https://www.rei.com/). They have very good annual sales and I've gotten a lot of gear this way.

I wouldn't stress too hard about the backpack and tent unless you're thinking about embarking on some multi-night trips. If it's warm out, you can string up a hammock, nestle your sleeping bag in the hammock, hang up mosquito netting, then a tarp over that to keep out the morning dew. It's an extremely light set-up and has worked for me for even 2- to 3-night trips.

The hiking bag you're looking at is pretty sweet though and would last you a long time.

I couldn't see the tent (it's behind a log-in wall) but that does sound on the pricey side. The important thing is for it to be light. Most fancy features can actually just be replaced with (wait for it)...a tarp.

Sorry for the huge text wall but I hope this was at least somewhat helpful :-)

Happy to try to answer any other questions you have!

Reactions: slaphappygamer

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I used to hike a lot in my teens and then stopped due to my drive to finish high school with as a little distraction as possible. I didn't really hike much for several years because my ex-boyfriend was a lazy lump of shit. I hiked every Sunday morning with my amazing ex-girlfriend before her and I broke up. Now my girlfriend and I are planning on hiking, but we've taken up extra side jobs to pay off some debt. Once we get our debt paid off, we will pretty much go hiking every weekend.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Tent and sleeping bag wise then most things around here are more chuck on the back of a motorbike and spend a weekend in a field/the woods somewhere.

That said wherever I am at I will usually find myself wandering along foot paths with no particular place to go. If I find myself in front of a mountain or big hill then I tend to also find it a good plan (or at least desire) to wander up it. Better if there is some climbing involved though.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
So, I just went on my first hike. We went almost 6 miles up hill, switchbacks and all, and set up camp. We each had our own backpack. I borrowed a backpack, sleeping bag, and a tent. I had a blast. The hike was moderate. It was hot af, but I wasn’t all banged up after. Bugs were plentiful and around most of the hike. The campsite was nice, but fires were banned. Nothing got wet the next morning. Is was a bit warmish in the morning. We are talking about going for 3 days and 2 nights. I think we would have a better time camping since we’d probably be able to have a fire.

I’m taking a deep dive into gear of all sorts. I want to get my own tent and backpack. I have a 30 degree sleeping bag already and it wasn’t much bigger than the one I borrowed. I figure I can wait on a new sleeping bag. I want to save up and get a super dope $300-400 20 degree down bag.

The backpack, I’m looking at the osprey volt 60l. I’m going with a $200 budget for the backpack.

The tent is where my struggle is. I’m looking at a $200ish budget for a double wall tent. This one seems great, but I may be a bit tall for it.

Any hikers here? I’d appreciate any input or recommendations.
Why would you go to jail for hiking? :P
I don't particularly like hiking but I do like camping.
Might I recommend a hammock rather than a tent? More compact to carry and far more comfortable. You can get a decent hammock with tarp and bug net for that price, and if you want the ultimate setup, you can get a down underquilt and topquilt for it. You can get those for less than $200 a piece if you look around. You can use a sleeping bag instead of a topquilt but an underquilt is highly recommended because a sleeping pad will tend to bunch up underneath you or move around (unless the hammock has a pocket underneath for putting it in) and the inflatable ones will be flattened in spots causing cold spots.

Hammocks have completely changed my camping experience. I used to always be uncomfortable laying in a tent because there was always some rock or root underneath me that I could feel through the sleeping pad. Plus, even with a sleeping pad, it's not exactly soft to lay on the ground. In a hammock I fall asleep more easily and sleep better, and wake up feeling refreshed.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,
Reactions: slaphappygamer

slaphappygamer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for all the input everyone.

I’ve looked at the hammock setup and that doesn’t seem like my cup of tea. Tarps, strap, need of things to strap to, netting, and other pad to cover my bottom would be overwhelming.

Here is another link for the tent.

I’ve got boots figured out, I think. I saw one guy hiking in those glove shoes. They had a hard rubber sole. I usually wear my work boots. They have gortex and are very comfortable. They are also a bit water resistant.

ive got a few knives. One has a 3 inch blade and has a part that is serrated.

I think my wife is getting me a down sleeping bag for Christmas. I can usually tell when she is up to something.

Also, I’m NOT wearing boxers next time I go for a hike. Define must figure that out.

Last edited by slaphappygamer,
Reactions: Alexander1970

Dinoduck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I'm late to the party, just wanted to share this review. I'm not much of a hiker, 5 miles is my maximum I think. But my backpack was always packed with lots of things. As for the tent, X-Mid is a great choice, pretty decent compared to overpriced MSR hubba which is mentioned literally everywhere. As for the boots, I have a pair of good old Salomon hiking boots. My model is discontinued though it's similar to this https://www.salomon.com/en-int/shop-emea/product/quest-prime-gtxr.html#color=10654 and it has gortex as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: