• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Do you feel the USA is better now than it was 22 years ago?

Are things getting better or worse for the "Greatest Country in the World"?

• Better

• Worse

• It's a mixed bag and very complicated and while I think some things have declined we do also have...

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 586536

Returned shipping and mailing
Trophies
XP
So, if a man cannot get rid of his Y chromosome, how can he become a woman?
Alright, well time to throw my hat into the ring.
1. Your referring to sex, instead of gender. "male and female" (defined by what you have down there)
2. there are more than two genders. There are people who are XXY, and etc. This already alone goes against the concept of "just two genders" Since your entire argument hinges that gender=sex. Which it isn't.
3. brain development is complicated while inside the womb. Due to the brain developing later than the body, and not at the sametime, if hormones change within there to favor the other sex. (say, female body, with a male brain. ) this can result in a man in a female body. With gender affirming care like hormone thearpy, they can transition into a more like body, before puberty permanently changes the body entirely. Just more proof that there are multiple genders.
4. My final argument
Do you get the impression that someones a He or She by their nethers? Or by the way their voice sounds, body language used, and how they dress. There's only one good answer to this question.

Reactions: Dark_Ansem

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, well time to throw my hat into the ring.
1. Your referring to sex, instead of gender. "male and female" (defined by what you have down there)
2. there are more than two genders. There are people who are XXY, and etc. This already alone goes against the concept of "just two genders" Since your entire argument hinges that gender=sex. Which it isn't.
3. brain development is complicated inside the uterus. Due to the brain developing later than the body, and not at the sametime, if hormones change within there to favor the other sex. (say, male body, with a female brain) this can result in a man in a female body. With gender affirming care like hormone thearpy, they can transition into a more like body, before puberty permanently changes the body entirely. Just more proof that there are multiple genders.
4. My final argument
Do you get the impression that someones a He or She by their nethers? Or by the way their voice sounds, body language used, and how they dress. There's only one good answer to this question.
I will accept everything you just said, on only one condition. Since you brought up male and female.

You specifically referred to a difference between a male and female brain.

Could you please possibly define a "female brain" for me?

This is not a "gotcha". You said it. I just want to know if you can define it.

• Haha

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
Could you please possibly define a "female brain" for me?
This is not a "gotcha". You said it. I just want to know if you can define it.
There's nothing seriously different. Tl;dr a brain developed with a estrogen disposition/female hormone before being actually born.(it often remains that way, but I'm giving a distinct time period for the term.)
It changes some markers inside the brain, but outside of that, identical to male peers. This is a gotcha question as I'm strongly sensing. But good try though.

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's nothing seriously different. Tl;dr a brain developed with a estrogen disposition/female hormone before being actually born. It changes some markers inside the brain, but outside of that, identical to male peers. This is a gotcha question as I'm strongly sensing. But good try though.
It really isn't. I have never subscribed to the idea that specific character traits are "male" or "female".

But, when YOU brought up "female brain", that assumes that there is a difference between that and a "male brain".

I am interested to learn the difference, if you have something you can show me.

What is a woman? What is a female brain? If you said it, I trust that you can support your statement with either evidence or reason.

I promise I am not baiting you. I am honestly trying to debate with one of the only people here who seems capable of it.

LainaGabranth

Objectively the most infuriating woman ever
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No relation with each other, these questions. Just you doing what you claim you're not doing.

aka this. With extra sniping and personal attacks.
I mean it's pretty obviously bait and I think people have caught onto that; when someone gives a definition and your only rebuttal is "I don't subscribe to that, so you'll have to give me a different one," you are arguing in bad faith. Here's a rhetorical question in response: What objectively necessitates that women must be defined by chromosomal pairs?

Deleted member 586536

Trophies
XP
It really isn't. I have never subscribed to the idea that specific character traits are "male" or "female".
Physicality yes when it comes to post puberty. Women (when I say this, I'm referring to sex. Sex defined as what's between your legs, and how puberty went) generally have wider hips, men have generally broader shoulders.
I am interested to learn the difference, if you have something you can show me.
I'll try to answer it. I tried to keep things simple, with you earlier. So now I'm going to explain it in a much larger picture. (Still oversimplifying a bit. But it's not so reductive it gets the point across)
What is a woman? What is a female brain? If you said it, I trust that you can support your statement with either evidence or reason.
(This is a bit long, but will explain that question)

Our brains and bodies are linked. That much is obvious. However, imagine that there are flags that can be only set once. There are several flags. to make the distinction, since our bodies aren't exactly the same as our consciousness. When I say brain, I'm referring to consciousness.

In a super ideal world, the binary "male or female" concept, would be only that and match the consciousness/brain 100% of the time.
When it does go without a hitch, and fit it's in within the "Male or Female" sex binary. So in other words, answering your question partially here. What makes up a Male is very similar to what makes a Female. Hormones that are completely one or the other, no mix and everything went smoothly. However, this is under the "sex" system. Which I'll get into why that line of thinking is wrong.

nature is extremely messy, and mixing can happen a lot. That's natural. However what's natrual, doesn't mean it doesn't cause discomfort.

So when I said "female brain" I mean a Brain that :
A. Developed with estrogen being the highest/most present
B. Flags for say, how you think you should sound, or how you act, are set to be more traditionally (considered) feminine, and also STAYs that way through out development.
C. also assuming puberty's flags are set for what is commonly found during traditionally female development/ high amounts of estrogen when that happens.

However, what I just said, doesn't go perfectly.
You have essentially 3parts. With all 3 of them can result of something the binary system cannot handle.

1. Body develops first, and so your sex, is set up before your brain develops.

This can break if say, you get a XXY. In which immediately the binary system breaks apart.

2. the not conscious part of your brain(body flags for puberty) can not match your nethers/sex, as they develop not in sync.

This only happens during and after puberty. However the flags are usually set at birth However this can distress the concious since:

3. the concious flags, also don't develop in sync.

The amount of time it takes for our brains can lead to anomalies the traditional binary sex system does not account for.
For example. I already mention XXY. That would cause a situation where point #1 can mismatch.

however, the part that really causes the need for the term "gender", is 2 and 3.
Due to those flags not all developing at the same time, and really being based on whatever hormones are present. There's several situations that can happen
You can have a mix of male and female flags for puberty (#2 mismatching with #3). However consider yourself as a dude, you dress up as one, you may even have a dong. But #2 is developing more feminine/higher estrogen. Now you need gender affirming care, since your hips are widening, while to you, they shouldn't be.

However the opposite CAN also be true. (#3 mismatching with #2) You can consciously consider yourself as neither male or female, since you got a mix of all those flags (conscious flags). You don't exactly quite fit into either category or a dude or girl. But puberty wise, it wants to develop you into a more female body. Which while you may consider yourself closer to a guy, but still not that, than a girl. Developing further into a girl is going to make your gender dysphoria worse.
This is the reason why there are "they/them" pronouns being used. since they (those people) don't fit exactly. We (English dictionary) don't have a word for them. So they them is being used since it's most neutral and encompassing.

So I'm hoping you read all this. What's considered as a "female brain" is assuming all those flags/markers and traits we consider traditionally associated historically female, were set.

However due to the brain and body not developing at the same time, with one having a leg up over the other. And several developmental stages. Things can and do mismatch. And as a result, can result in a female(traits we associate with a women) in a males body(physically appearing as a guy), which at least the binary sex system can semi account for post transition.

However what it cannot handle. Is if the conscious part, doesn't fit into either one of those categories. And all these markers often are set bit before birth. So by the time someone is 7-9. They already have a strong feeling they don't belong. And that's because they straight up don't.
And that means that the "sex" system, is just wrong, and we need a more granular way of thinking about it. Since it encapsulates straight up too much, and oversimplifies too much to a strict binary. When it's not a simple on off switch.

• Love
Reactions: CraddaPoosta

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) is a space telescope designed primarily to conduct infrared astronomy. As the largest optical telescope in space, its greatly improved infrared resolution and sensitivity allow it to view objects too early, distant, or faint for the Hubble Space Telescope. This is expected to enable a broad range of investigations across the fields of astronomy and cosmology, such as observation of the first stars and the formation of the first galaxies, detailed atmospheric characterization of potentially habitable exoplanets, and maybe even allow us to see THE ORIGINAL TOPIC OF THIS THREAD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1