Do you ever play games in a language you don't know, without help from a guide?

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So a few days ago, i saw on nintendo eshop they had Dragon ball Z 2 Super Botuden which is a Super famicom japan only exclusive game. I remember my brother having this game like years ago with the super famicom system, and how much the console and controllers look different than my NTSC one.

Anyway it reminded me how we used to play the japanese import games, and if you were playing rpg games and didn't know japanese, you were screwed just blindly playing the game with no help since online guides from the interent wasn't a popular thing to go to. So i wondered if anyone else ever play games not in their region without help from a guide? If you completed it, is a plus.

I recently played two games on 3DS Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun sp and and Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun SP: Rantou Kyousoukyoku Which the american version is labled River city Tokyo Rumble. All the way to completion. No help or guide at all, just me and my own wits. :P

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I`ve played through god eater 2 (in Japanese) without a guide . a bit confusing but doable since I played the first god eater game , so I knew which menu did what , which monster drops which loot and so on .

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play Project DIVA Extend which hasn't been translated to American and beat the game. But that's because I already know a good amount of Japanese already.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I play Project DIVA Extend which hasn't been translated to American and beat the game. But that's because I already know a good amount of Japanese already.
Umm okay but the reason i asked if people play foreign games cause i figured is in a different language they didn't understand.

If a mod is reading this can you please update title to "Do you ever play games in language you don't know without help from a guide?" So that people understand what to post... please. :ph34r:

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
If a mod is reading this can you please update title to "Do you ever play games in language you don't know without help from a guide?" So that people understand what to post... please. :ph34r:
Your wish is my command :mellow:

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your wish is my command :mellow:
Thanks... umm game genie. Guess that leaves me with 2 more wishes left. Better choose wisely.

Maybe a genie remote would be a funny idea.

I remember wanted to get some japanese fighting games but i'm afraid i won't learn how to play it right without being able to read the move list or anything, just be a button masher game which is probably not as fun. I did beat this one game NINKU on game gear after playing for a month cause i never knew what to do :P

YugamiSekai

Mr. Picross
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Umm okay but the reason i asked if people play foreign games cause i figured is in a different language they didn't understand.

Well I don't understand the entire language, and most of the game was hard to even work (like edit mode) :ha:

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original Pokemon Green...I'm not sure that counts though since I've played R/B/Y etc.
A few fighting games on the PS3 that only now came over here >.> It was a fighting game so it's not like I really need to read since most fighting games have a similar menu.

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Original Pokemon Green...I'm not sure that counts though since I've played R/B/Y etc.
A few fighting games on the PS3 that only now came over here >.> It was a fighting game so it's not like I really need to read since most fighting games have a similar menu.

Playing an RPG that you can't read doesn't sound very fun. Then again I play RPGs more for story then gameplay; then again how would you know where to go?

CheatingSoi

Graphic Designer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only foreign games that I play are the Japanese Animal Crossings. I have an official Doubutsu no Mori N64 import that I play from time to time and now I just started playing the 3DS varient in Japanese. I know the Animal Crossing games so well that I just mostly know what every menu is saying and what to do. So it's kind of fun in that way. Even though I know zero Japanese.

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Playing an RPG that you can't read doesn't sound very fun. Then again I play RPGs more for story then gameplay; then again how would you know where to go?
I can tell you right now that the Classic phantasy star games on the genesis is already a "Where the heck do i go" kind of game, so is still up for debate. "ROLF, your first objective is to investigate mother brain, find out why she went out of control." (So no location, directions how to get there, look east.... what?) :wtf: *Actual phantasy star 2 plot.

Shining in the darkness also has the 3D maze like phantasy star on sega master system and metroid on nes just plain HARD, it doesn't even have a story!:glare:

Reactions: SomecallmeBerto

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I'm currently playing:
-Pocket Monsters Midori [Pokemon Green] (in japanese, without a guide)
-Taiko no tatsujin portable DX (in japanese)
-Taiko no tatsujin Wii U version (in japanese)
-Rhythm Heaven Gold [Rhythm Heaven/Paradise NDS] (in japanese)
-Doubutsu no mori [Animal Forest] (in japanese)
-Super Mario 64 (in japanese and in german, cuz why not?)
(Edited to add a few games that i forgot to mention)

Last edited by AxlSt00pid,

Zetman

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I've played EX troopers in japanese (or better I tried) and after the first tutorial I couldn't go out from the base

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I agree Tears is great. I even played thru it completely twice. I've been hooked on playing thru...