Do you ever play games in a language you don't know, without help from a guide?

Discussion in 'General Gaming Discussion' started by Sonic Angel Knight, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    So a few days ago, i saw on nintendo eshop they had Dragon ball Z 2 Super Botuden which is a Super famicom japan only exclusive game. I remember my brother having this game like years ago with the super famicom system, and how much the console and controllers look different than my NTSC one.

Anyway it reminded me how we used to play the japanese import games, and if you were playing rpg games and didn't know japanese, you were screwed just blindly playing the game with no help since online guides from the interent wasn't a popular thing to go to. So i wondered if anyone else ever play games not in their region without help from a guide? If you completed it, is a plus.

I recently played two games on 3DS Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-kun sp and and Nekketsu Kouha Kunio-Kun SP: Rantou Kyousoukyoku Which the american version is labled River city Tokyo Rumble. All the way to completion. No help or guide at all, just me and my own wits. :P

cvskid and gnmmarechal like this.

2. lcie nimbus

lcie nimbus 100th degree asskicker

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    I`ve played through god eater 2 (in Japanese) without a guide . a bit confusing but doable since I played the first god eater game , so I knew which menu did what , which monster drops which loot and so on .

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    English is a foreign language for me, so about 99% of the games I play fit your description :tpi:

4. lcie nimbus

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    actually , hey if that's your logic , then every game I play is in a foreign language , since English is my third language:rofl2:

5. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I actually meant a game that has a language you didn't know, seeing as you know english it wouldn't be a issue but then where is the challenge if you can read the language?:creep:

lcie nimbus likes this.
  6. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I play Project DIVA Extend which hasn't been translated to American and beat the game. But that's because I already know a good amount of Japanese already.

7. lcie nimbus

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    I get what you mean . I`ve played maybe 3 or 4 games in a language I don't know .

8. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Umm okay but the reason i asked if people play foreign games cause i figured is in a different language they didn't understand.

If a mod is reading this can you please update title to "Do you ever play games in language you don't know without help from a guide?" So that people understand what to post... please. :ph34r:

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Your wish is my command :mellow:

10. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Thanks... umm game genie. Guess that leaves me with 2 more wishes left. Better choose wisely.

Warning: Spoilers inside!

I remember wanted to get some japanese fighting games but i'm afraid i won't learn how to play it right without being able to read the move list or anything, just be a button masher game which is probably not as fun. I did beat this one game NINKU on game gear after playing for a month cause i never knew what to do :P

11. kprovost7314

kprovost7314 GBAtemp's Official Bara Master

Dec 24, 2014
    United States
    In that bara manga ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Well I don't understand the entire language, and most of the game was hard to even work (like edit mode) :ha:

12. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Original Pokemon Green...I'm not sure that counts though since I've played R/B/Y etc.
    A few fighting games on the PS3 that only now came over here >.> It was a fighting game so it's not like I really need to read since most fighting games have a similar menu.

13. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I guess fighting games are too easy to figure out. But if is a rpg GOOD LUCK BOYS! :P

14. SomecallmeBerto

SomecallmeBerto The Anti-Hero

Dec 17, 2014
    United States
    USA
    Playing an RPG that you can't read doesn't sound very fun. Then again I play RPGs more for story then gameplay; then again how would you know where to go?

15. CheatingSoi

CheatingSoi Graphic Designer

Apr 4, 2007
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Only foreign games that I play are the Japanese Animal Crossings. I have an official Doubutsu no Mori N64 import that I play from time to time and now I just started playing the 3DS varient in Japanese. I know the Animal Crossing games so well that I just mostly know what every menu is saying and what to do. So it's kind of fun in that way. Even though I know zero Japanese.

16. Sonic Angel Knight
    OP

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I can tell you right now that the Classic phantasy star games on the genesis is already a "Where the heck do i go" kind of game, so is still up for debate. "ROLF, your first objective is to investigate mother brain, find out why she went out of control." (So no location, directions how to get there, look east.... what?) :wtf: *Actual phantasy star 2 plot.

Shining in the darkness also has the 3D maze like phantasy star on sega master system and metroid on nes just plain HARD, it doesn't even have a story!:glare:

SomecallmeBerto likes this.
  17. THEELEMENTKH

THEELEMENTKH uɐᖵ pǝɔuɐʌp∀ dɯǝʇ∀ꓭ⅁

May 31, 2016
    Spain
    Hell
    I'm currently playing:
    -Pocket Monsters Midori [Pokemon Green] (in japanese, without a guide)
    -Taiko no tatsujin portable DX (in japanese)
    -Taiko no tatsujin Wii U version (in japanese)
    -Rhythm Heaven Gold [Rhythm Heaven/Paradise NDS] (in japanese)
    -Doubutsu no mori [Animal Forest] (in japanese)
    -Super Mario 64 (in japanese and in german, cuz why not?)
    (Edited to add a few games that i forgot to mention)

Last edited by THEELEMENTKH, Dec 1, 2016
  18. lcie nimbus

Dec 25, 2015
    Canada
    Alberta , Canada
    I`ve played a free roam rpg called zill o`ll infinite plus in Japanese. ...it was hard , to say the least

19. Zetman

Zetman GBAtemp Regular

Jan 2, 2016
    Italy
    I've played EX troopers in japanese (or better I tried) and after the first tutorial I couldn't go out from the base

20. ItsKipz

ItsKipz l33t hax0r

Sep 9, 2016
    United States
    The C: drive
    Yusha 30 second was JPN exclusive, and i also enjoy overwatch in japanese occasionally.

lcie nimbus likes this.