Discussion Do you care about emunand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Zyvyn, Jul 22, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

358 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. No

104 vote(s)
    20.2%
  3. possibly

53 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. 8BitWonder

8BitWonder Small Homebrew Dev

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Im staying on lower firmware hoping some day for coldboot, but will be contempt with sticking to the eventual warmboot/emuNand solution if it never does. I assume this is the case for many low-fw users.

Not to dismiss your second point, but most people hacking their switch seem to understand that this time around doing almost anything can warrant a ban, and they're either ready for it or don't mind.

For your third-point; I'm sure a handul of users would update if they were told absolutely no coldboot would come in the future. Though I doubt many will update over the possibility of being banned, seeing as that's an issue that won't go away by being on the latest fw, and if I remember correctly Scires even mentioned that telemetry on 5.X greatly increased.
    To answer your last question; people (myself included) that would rather work with a warmboot/software solution over a coldboot/hardware solution will be using it.

Last edited by 8BitWonder, Jul 22, 2018
    kumikochan likes this.
  2. veddermandan

veddermandan Advanced Member

Mar 4, 2010
    Australia
    Exactly only 88 people want it so why bother

3. AlexMCS

AlexMCS Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 3, 2018
    Brazil
    As of now, the people who want it are already more than double the amount of the people who don't.
    Learn a bit about statistics, sample size, extrapolation, and see why you're so wrong.

I personally want it for a non RCM warmboot, which is only available up to 4.1, which is my current FW.
    I won't be updating past that until a new non-RCM entry point shows up, which is not really likely to happen anytime soon, if ever.
    And that is even more true for the owners of the recent iPatched switch units, which do not have the RCM entry point, but come with fw 4.1

Pluupy, CuriousTommy and kumikochan like this.
  4. jaysea

jaysea GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    emunand used for "hacky" stuff so you can leave your sysnand clean would be the main reason for me to have emunand.
    I do not care for lower sysnand anymore since I want to use the sysnand online and emunand offline.
    I would prefer both to have the same horizon version.

sinkillerj and dkabot like this.
  5. dkabot

dkabot Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own

Sep 9, 2014
    United States
    Same. Clean sys online on latest, dirty emu offline on latest

sinkillerj and jaysea like this.
  6. jaysea

jaysea GBAtemp Regular

Aug 17, 2009
    Netherlands
    Would prefer lower sysnand, then clean emunand on latest online and dirty emunand on latest offline, but having 2 emunands will be a hastle so I gave up on warmboot and updated my sysnand to latest.

7. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    Maybe you should take your own advice? The results of the poll are not statistically significant at all. The only thing it shows is what the absolute number of people that want emunand is. In other words, not many people at all.

8. 8BitWonder

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    If you're going to look at one option in the poll as though it were absolute and not the others, then you've missed the whole point of the poll. By mingling an "absolute" and non-absolute values, you yourself made it statistically insignificant.
    Looking at the poll as though it were absolute (even though it isn't) tells you that even fewer people aren't interested in emuNand at all.

9. rac

rac Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 27, 2014
    United States
    Yes for online games and eshop purchases while keeping my switch on 3.0.0

I cannot wait to upgrade and finally try Stardew Valley

10. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    That conclusion isn't significant in any meaningful way. Why would people who didn't want emunand even bother answering the poll? There is no incentive at all, whereas if you want emunand then you are going to try and make that point whenever you can.

11. Paspain

Paspain Member

Newcomer
    Jul 14, 2018
    Spain
    Coolboot solution maybe in a future and be in newest firm... emunand could be the greatest thing in switch scene whith backup loader

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Legend

May 11, 2008
    United States
    EmuNAND would be a nice option to have, but it's not something I'm at all eagerly awaiting. I'm going to have AutoRCM installed anyway, so I see no reason not to just update my sysNAND while preserving my efuses. I also don't plan on using my Switch online.

13. tecfreak

tecfreak GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2018
    Germany
    Berlin
    At least 60% of the users here seem to have a different opinion on EmuNAND.

Only those who are only interested in homebrew or piracy don't give a shit on emunand. But the rest of us do have a good reason to have the ability booting the OS from a different storage device keeping either of the two, the sysNAND or the emuNAND, untouched and pristine for the legit stuff.

I won't ever boot a CFW which touches my sysNAND and may leave traces until we get emuNAND support. I know you could restore a backup removing all traces, but that is too much hassel in my opinion.

14. 8BitWonder

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    Why would people that want emuNand bother voting if it won't make it happen any sooner?
    Same reason people that don't care for it will too; because they can.
    You can debate whether the results are significant or not, but all I know is that 175 (and counting) different people with differing interests have cast a vote. With each poll option being represented by several people.

15. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    No one mentioned anything about sooner or later. The question was whether you cared, and if you cared then obviously you would vote yes. If you don't care then you are just as likely to not even read the thread let alone vote no.

Pluupy likes this.
  16. 8BitWonder

Jan 23, 2016
    United States
    47 4F 54 20 45 45 4D
    1,709 users have viewed the thread so far. With only 178 of those viewers having voted.
    I figure it's safe to say that people that do or don't care for emuNand are dismissing the poll equally.

17. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    I guess we will agree to disagree, although I'm not sure why you aren't willing to acknowledge the emotional element inherent in polls worded this way. Using the word "care" is quite a powerful technique in polling.

18. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    If psychology would be that easy to answer then everybody could become one. No it doesn't work like that.

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 22, 2018
  19. Draxzelex

Draxzelex GBAtemp Legend

Aug 6, 2017
    United States
    New York City
    EmuNAND can be useful outside of booting higher firmwares or trying to act "safer" online. For example, if you brick your EmuNAND, all you do is restore an earlier version of EmuNAND. Keeps your eMMC untouched too.

20. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    United Kingdom
    The majority of people who really do want an emunand will take the time to vote yes in this poll. Most people who don’t want it and/or couldn’t give a shit about it probably won’t bother to come into the thread and vote.

To get an accurate vote you would have to force every user on the site to vote. Therefore these results will always be skewed.