Discussion Do you care about emunand?

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by Zyvyn, Jul 22, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

356 vote(s)
    69.5%
  2. No

104 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. possibly

52 vote(s)
    10.2%
  1. Zyvyn
    OP

Zyvyn GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 9, 2017
    United States
    I personally think emunand will quickly become obsolete similar to the 3ds emunand

Last edited by Zyvyn, Jul 22, 2018
  2. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    People on low firmwares want it to have the emuNAND updated to the latest firmware for games and have their sysNAND untouched for when a coldboot exploit comes out

Not just for online which yes may not be safer

3. darklordrs

darklordrs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2015
    United States
    Yes. That all?

guily6669, OttORoX and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  4. j0hnny

j0hnny Member

Newcomer
    Apr 28, 2018
    Gambia, The
    No I just want to download and play games for free. Emunand is a waste of time for 99% of people.

5. phlover

phlover Member

Newcomer
    Jun 23, 2018
    Germany
    you are abolutly right. I want to play games for free and i also dont care about online gaming. I never did the NanD stuff cause i think its a waste of time .

6. peteruk

peteruk GBAtemp Addict

Jun 26, 2015
    don't care in the slightest

7. p2697

p2697 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2018
    Barbados
    It honestly seems to me that people who want emunand would not be happy with just this, they also want a software coldboot solution.

Coldboot is pure speculation and a theory, zero work has gone into it.

Considering we will soon be able to upgrade/downgrade in a few button clicks on the Switch itself I really dont see the point.

You want coldboot? Find someone to install a modchip and have it on every firmware going forward, instead of hedge betting on mythical dev work.

8. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I think this real question is:

Do you care about emunand if it will never make piracy easier, or add more pirated game compatibility?

9. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Short term emuNAND might be a good idea but long term it's probably going to be like the 3DS where emuNAND ends up being rendered obsolete.
    I don't particularly care for emuNAND but it might be a necessary evil.

Ryhpurrior and SirBeethoven like this.
  10. gabru

gabru Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 22, 2016
    Spain
    Ofc I do care about emunand. Holding myself of playing Octopath and staying at 4.1.0.

11. subcon959

subcon959 teh retro

Dec 24, 2008
    EmuNAND died on 3DS eventually due to early boot process hacks. We are already at that point with the Switch, so in my opinion it's a non-starter.

12. aerios169

aerios169 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 30, 2012
    Mexico
    Well if no emunand you can instaló everithing and you never conect it to internet, it would be great, because you original so could be Clean and you could play online with less risk of ban. In other words emunand for hacks, original so for play online.
    Also i son a 200gb sd so i dont care about space

Last edited by aerios169, Jul 22, 2018
    Pluupy and CuriousTommy like this.
  13. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Addict

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    If it was then the percentage would be lower. It seems most people do care so it ain't a waste of time. Not saying emunand would become obsolete for people on lower firmwares in the far far future but at the moment it is far from being obsolete for people wanting to stay on lower firmwares. People keep bringing up the 3ds but see how long it took for emunand to become obsolete and it is exactly the same now and even more seeing coldboot is only possible up to 3.0.2 wich with the 3ds wasn't the case. I am not saying coldboot will happen soon but even if it does in a few years time it will still be worth the wait

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 22, 2018
  14. p2697

p2697 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2018
    Barbados
    Emunand would not be safe online.

All Nintendo would need to do is check the fuse count, if it doesn't match the latest firmware you have connected with then you're banned.

Edit: However, if you updated to that latest version officially then use Emunand then I guess there is potential there. The trouble is, people won't be willing to do that.

Last edited by p2697, Jul 22, 2018
  15. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    Fuse count goes over in emunand. So in emunand you basicly have burned the correct amount of fuses

16. p2697

p2697 Member

Newcomer
    Jul 19, 2018
    Barbados
    eFuses are physical alterations, they could not be spoofed with Emunand.

Emunand would act exactly how the non fuse burning method would act. You'd be on the latest firmware but with your fuses intact.

17. JoeBloggs777

JoeBloggs777 GBAtemp Regular

May 30, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I think you will find there are still many people, like me who are on 4.1 or below and are waiting to see what happens with SX (i've got a SX pro) ReiNX and Atmos. then i'll decide what to do.

18. Xen0

Xen0 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 8, 2015
    Germany
    [​IMG]

It´s funny how 90% shout that Emunand is trash but the survey results show the truth. Just let people do what they want and stop forcing them onto something.

19. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    The ability to have a version of NAND that others might use or is more geared towards hacking/debugging/homebrew, that you can get rid of when you hose it up by simply ejecting the card or might be able to negate identifying markers with it and thus dodge bans all seem like solid reasons for it existing.
    It is not an absolute necessity for operation, or indeed useful/less limited operation, but in most other devices where it has been an option then the things above provide more than adequate reason for its existing.

Earth97 likes this.
  20. kumikochan

Feb 4, 2015
    Belgium
    Tongeren
    always thought an efuse was pure software so everytime you would update your emunand a fuse would get burned in your emunand but yeah seems I was wrong about that then

Last edited by kumikochan, Jul 22, 2018