Do you believe in miracles?

Jugarina

Trophies
Website
youngevity.com
XP
Country
United States
That girl that had stage 4 cancer and went into a coma. When she came out of her coma the cancer was gone. Would you consider that a "miracle", "act of God", or maybe just rare chance, luck, or the body healing itself....

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I have seen miracles myself, look up the story of audrey santos, I was there at her house before and saw mere picture begin to leak oil before my eyes.

http://www.littleaudreysanto.org/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audrey_Santo

gshock

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If miracles did exist then they would occur whether we were willing to believe in them or not.

A miracle = what? Natural disasters were miraculous in ancient times for much of humanity.

Do miracles exist or do we call what we don't know 'miracles' when we're impressed by it?

if by definition a miracle is "something very unlikely to happen", then yes, I believe something that has even the slightest chance of happening might happen.

It all comes down to how likely that thing is to happen.
Well a miracle is something that occurs through inexplicable means. ( eg. contrary to common knowledge. ) and appears "supernatural". Electricity would probably be supernatural to the right culture, time-period or person, especially if you get creative with it or go back in time far enough. ( Just for example. )

Jesus turning water into wine, if it actually happened would technically count because most people would have to admit they don't know how to or can't turn water into wine nevermind on demand.

Although it doesn't mean it would be a miracle to Jesus. It would be miraculous to the bystanders.

The defintion of the word miracle requires somebody's ignorance first. Otherwise it wouldn't be a miracle.

I MUST believe in miracles...Otherwise I wouldn't be able to believe that I am going to ever be married in the future.
Believe in effort. At least it rewards itself. o_o

But how about you, GBAtemp?

I believe that people believe miracles. I believe that people are prone to beliefs and applying meaning in retrospect to mundane, normal or otherwise meaningless things. Even more so, when their lives are quite bad and they need ( not just want ) the miraculous to exist in their life, because it is that bad.

I believe that despite the cultural message that truth is somehow a good thing, human beings don't actually care that much about truths and they're willing to tell themselves pretty much anything that is not true and not real - even if that means lying to oneself or to others.

If miracles existed I think we would be doing it a disservice by calling it that because it would be too tempting to associate it with other claims that have used the same word in the past to sell snake oil.

If humanity discovered one could heal wounds and illnesses with will-power or self-discipline then we should call it that and skip all terms that exagerate it into anything else; like magic, paranormal, fairy-dust, miracle, power, god, etc. since we'd only be obfuscating whatever there was to know and not helping ourselves at all by mystifying it any further. if there was such a thing.

I have never heard anyone in my entire life say the word "miracle" that wasn't accompanied by an attempt to sell me something. Whether it be DVD, a BlueDisc, a book, you name it. That tells me a lot about people and a lot about miracles.

Long story short, it doesn't matter whether you believe in miracles because what's real will be real with or without your beliefs - but as far as what's good for you, it's definitely healthier to live assuming they do not exist and avoid all the ridiculous lies and scams that come from other people until you are proven otherwise or find yourself in a real situation where the question even matters. Until then, it's nothing but lots of cloud talk and compulsive dreaming. Oh yeah and also scams.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    I had EarthLink lol
    A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol
    +1
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: A bunch of NetZero accounts that I used for things... Lol +1