do you agree the psp is a fail?

Discussion in 'PSP - Games & Content' started by CJL18, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Gvaz

Gvaz GBAtemp Fan

May 24, 2007
    United States
    United States
    He's right, however. PSP is probably the worst purchase I've made, up there with the wii.

2. JackDeeEss

JackDeeEss GBAtemp Regular

Dec 2, 2009
    ONE WORD NEEDED.
    [​IMG]

3. Law

Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

Aug 14, 2007
    ‭jerkland
    hey DS kids enjoy your pokemons

I'll be over here with my PSP hunting actual monsters

4. Cermage

Cermage GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Dec 2, 2007
    enjoy your grindfest bro.

i'll be over here with my PSP being asian and playing djmax.

5. Jemlee

Jemlee GBAtemp Regular

Nov 22, 2009
    Arwing
    I hope this doesn't sound biased.

But isn't that what you generally want out of the PSP (shooters, gta ,etc)

as apposed to nintendo ( random innovations )

But it's still fun I mean, like rockstar said things like KH BBS wow you once in a while. and it's homebrew is amazing.

6. thegame07

thegame07 GBAtemp Psycho!

Oct 16, 2006
    I don't see why people think it sucks. The homebrew on it makes the nds look like shit. The people who say it has no games are clearly wrong and haven't actually tried most of them. The nds has more games yes but how much of that is shovelware? there isn't much shovelware on the psp. Also the touchscreen wasn't innovative.

I'm not ripping into the nds, I like them both.

7. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    @CrashmanX
    Boo friggin hoo, its not that hard to actually figure out some menus. Seeing as how a lot of Japanese PSP games have quite a bit of English or incredibly easy to navigate menus, its "Large portion of PSP owners" fault for not wanting to try something different. On a side note, its also other companies faults for licensing unit/game names here in the states, if they weren't licensed, they could easily port it over.

8. fateastray

fateastray GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 14, 2007
    Netherlands
    I like my PSP and it has had a LOT of great games, however, the future of the PSP feels unsure...I don't feel as if there's much to look forward to...

I'm even considering selling mine, but I'm afraid, that if I did, I'd regret it. I was really hoping Mimana Iyar Chronicle would be a good game, but it sucked...It was the only thing I was looking forward to, recently.

Persona 3 is gonna make my LOVE the psp again, though!!!

9. VmprHntrD

VmprHntrD GBAtemp Addict

Nov 11, 2004
    United States
    Louisville, KY
    I don't think it's that unsure. Certain quirky Japanese things will pop up via the usual suspects, but outside that it will be the 'west' stepping up as well as Sony. I know an Uncharted game was supposed to come among like at least a dozen more or so games from Sony themselves in the rest of the year though I bet most are downloads.

I dont' get the whole 'ds is so much better' crap. I've had it since launch. A good year had almost nothing of value, finally stuff started to show up and pumped out as a decent clip for a couple years or so, and in that time there were holes too and stagnation. Lately DS has fallen fairly hard on quality games coming out for it outside of Nintendo with their Pokemons, Marios and stuff. The PSP definitely gets less games, but they do come out at a decent slower pacing but what does appear is pretty damn special in larger amounts vs the trash that shows up. DS has slid into a box where you are like at the store and they throw like 200 games in a sale crate. You need to dig for like 10min pushing stuff to the side as it slides back down looking for a good game as all the turds keep sliding in your way blocking your efforts. I got my PSP like 2 years ago now, have more games for it, sold/returned far less for trade to get new material too. I don't like the load times on some games, they're inexcusably bad, but other than that and the fact the battery burns through quicker than a DS it still gets a lot better games. DS has a lot of fine stuff, just less comes out is all really worth the cash (from a non-pirate consumer point of view here) and those that do you need to learn of them outside of the usual suspects known for quality and even some of those have been sliding badly as of late.

10. Salax

Salax GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2010
    United States
    I don't, but then again, I just bought mine a month ago, sooooo... [​IMG] .
    I bought mine mainly for emulators, though. There are some great ones out there.

11. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gallifrey
    > Loves playing Invizimals

For the price I got my 1000, definitely not. Plus, there are good games for it. Go, on the other hand...hack or PSP Go away. [/badpun]

12. Salax

Salax GBAtemp Regular

Jan 16, 2010
    United States
    Totally forgot about that. That game is practically half the reason I got my PSP.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand it's not out in America yet.

13. ZereoX

ZereoX Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 10, 2009
    Canada
    The PSP was a great system but it fell in the same department as the Dreamcast (Although it wasn't as good as the DC). Piracy cut the PSP's legs than lack of great hits smack it down. The lack of new IP's for the PSP ended it's life short. Games like Daxter, GoW:CoO, Crisis Core, MGS: Pops+, Killzone Liberation were fun but as you see those are mostly First Party/Sony Related. Some great games were released like Monster Hunter Freedom, Jeanne D'Arc, Locoroco, Lumines and Patapon but does alone can't save a dying platform.

14. ProtoKun7

ProtoKun7 GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4

Former Staff
    Jan 3, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Gallifrey
    I've not played it.

Invizimals, that is.

15. Berioth

Berioth Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2010
    Brazil
    using piracy isnt exactly a good reason, after all the ds is just as hacked(if not more) as the psp and people dont say it "fails", if i were u id ignore the troll creator(aka TC) and keep moving

16. CrashmanX

CrashmanX Current project: SD Gundam G Generation Overworld

Aug 1, 2008
    United States
    @CrashmanX
    The PSP and the DS are both dying, hell the literal only thing the DS has keeping its head above water right now is Pokemon: HG/SS and the coming Black/White. For PSP its almost the same way, they've both been out for quite some time, they're both aging handhelds. Although I got my DS first, I gotta say, the PSP feels more worth the money. Even if I didn't have CFW for my PSP, Monster Hunter and a few other titles alone make it worth it. My DS on the other hand, if it didn't have a Flash Cart, well, there's no guarantee I'd still have a DS.

17. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Personally, I can barely keep up with all the awesome DS games that have been coming out.

-Oh, and the PSP isn't dying if you love those visual novels (I unfortunately, do not). In that sense I guess it really is like the Dreamcast. Then again, the Dreamcast didn't have two big-name titles slated for release when people started rumors that it was 'dying'.

18. Jotokun

Jotokun GBAtemp Regular

Sep 22, 2008
    United States
    The PSP isnt a fail. Perhaps in the past I would have said it was because I only got mine for the homebrew. But, there''s so much out for it thats good, people just dont know where to look for it. PSN has some UMD games really cheap(although others are overpriced), and between those and the PSX games, you get very much for your money.

It also has much more crap compared to the DS, but what good does exist is exceptionally good.

Part of its problem, I think, is that what's there isn't marketed correctly. A large number of the games I found on the PSP, I've heard of but had zero interest in before I actually tried them out.

19. Pliskron

Pliskron Banned

Banned
    Jul 22, 2009
    United States
    I love my PSP.

20. omatic

omatic GBAtemp Fan

Apr 25, 2007
    United States
    United States
    No, especially not for a first try vs Nintendo. However, Sony has made many mistakes that kept it from being on equal footing with the DS, despite the vast technological advantage. And unfortunately for Sony, the 3DS might bridge that gap, making a new PSP a necessity.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted