Hacking do NOT get a dsx

Sasuke-Guy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ya know sasuke, i hope we don't hafta wait too long; hopefully team ds-x'll upload teh uber farmwire before the month is over.
Ugh, i hate waiting sometimes

i know if i were working on something exciting as i hope the new release will be, i wouldn't be able to wait to show the world what i've been working on.
WHAT HAVE U BEEN WORKING ON!!??

sometimes i wonder what they're doing, team ds-x. mebbe the reason the cart is clipped together plastic instead of a fitted case held together by a screw like other carts is because team ds-x is a start-up group without a factory as effiecient as the ones the established vendors use. maybe the team ds-x snaps them together themselves, which i guess would take time away from making a firmware... i dunno
The plastic was explained in the forums, its not cheap plastic, its actually really good

but 'perfection' and heavy testing being reasons why they haven't released a software doesn't sit well with me,(Same >.

gbasho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ya know sasuke, i hope we don't hafta wait too long; hopefully team ds-x'll upload teh uber farmwire before the month is over.
Ugh, i hate waiting sometimes

i know if i were working on something exciting as i hope the new release will be, i wouldn't be able to wait to show the world what i've been working on.
WHAT HAVE U BEEN WORKING ON!!??

sometimes i wonder what they're doing, team ds-x. mebbe the reason the cart is clipped together plastic instead of a fitted case held together by a screw like other carts is because team ds-x is a start-up group without a factory as effiecient as the ones the established vendors use. maybe the team ds-x snaps them together themselves, which i guess would take time away from making a firmware... i dunno
The plastic was explained in the forums, its not cheap plastic, its actually really good

but 'perfection' and heavy testing being reasons why they haven't released a software doesn't sit well with me,(Same >.

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Have to agree with a lot of points. It seems the DS-X team is trying to emulate Apple with their ultimate secrecy and reluctance to open up about product development/details.

As to their slow updates, I think those were/are "planned" too because they want to give the impression that their product, by design was "100% compatible". and not achieved through firmware updates. Bullshit? absolutely, to people that are fans/pay close attention to the scene. It's marketing, simple and plain. Their mistake, I think. keeping people interested in the ever-changing GBA/NDS scene is key to proving a new, unknown company to everyone.

The bad batches and shit was HORRIBLE. I was lucky enough to order them right from GamerSection right when they added it to their webstore, so I got my DS-X from the first batch, and I was lucky that nothing was wrong with mine... no plastic shaving, no need to stick a piece of folded paper to get the cart to make contact.

The worst thing of it all is that their first-to-market advantage was virtually erased, and then some by their inability to get additional batches out QUICKLY. I had quit the DS-X forums after the first couple weeks after release because there was nothing interesting going on. When I went back around mid-december, there were new threads being posted about their 3rd or 4th batches being shipped. For those not entire in-the-know, Divineo preorders for the DS-X took up something like all of their first batch and half of their 2nd batch. by the time that 4th batch shipped, the SC1 and M3 Simply had already been announced, and ooops, that first-to-market advantage was slipping away.... That's 4 batches, (maybe 5?) between release and christmas - when they should've been pumping that shit out like crazy. DS-X admits "we ended up in a situation with 0 production for about 1 month"... wow, talk about pulling a "PS3"...
and the problems with their quality of their suppliers, it really sounds like a case of buying from the lowest bidder.

and from the sounds of some of the posts from some of the people on the dev team, they're post-grads / undergrads that run the company. That might explain... well, everything!?

The DS-Xtreme isn't garbage and did deserve the 9.5 score. The only thing it's been trumped on now is ROM compatibility. It's OS, extra features, homebrew and download play compatibility are still superior to any other cart on the market.

Saying that, I do definitely think that the DS-Xtreme is losing the stance it did and COULD have on the market because of some poor decisions by team DS-X. Their xtreme slowness when updates are concerned and most of their general attitude and secrecy isn't doing them any favours at all. This is probably the biggest downfall of the DS-Xtreme. Oh... and all the bad batches of DS-Xtremes that buyers are being stuck with isn't too good either.Â
wink.gif

gbasho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have to agree with a lot of points. It seems the DS-X team is trying to emulate Apple with their ultimate secrecy and reluctance to open up about product development/details.

As to their slow updates, I think those were/are "planned" too because they want to give the impression that their product, by design was "100% compatible". and not achieved through firmware updates. Bullshit? absolutely, to people that are fans/pay close attention to the scene. It's marketing, simple and plain. Their mistake, I think. keeping people interested in the ever-changing GBA/NDS scene is key to proving a new, unknown company to everyone.

The bad batches and shit was HORRIBLE. I was lucky enough to order them right from GamerSection right when they added it to their webstore, so I got my DS-X from the first batch, and I was lucky that nothing was wrong with mine... no plastic shaving, no need to stick a piece of folded paper to get the cart to make contact.Â

The worst thing of it all is that their first-to-market advantage was virtually erased, and then some by their inability to get additional batches out QUICKLY. I had quit the DS-X forums after the first couple weeks after release because there was nothing interesting going on. When I went back around mid-december, there were new threads being posted about their 3rd or 4th batches being shipped. For those not entire in-the-know, Divineo preorders for the DS-X took up something like all of their first batch and half of their 2nd batch. by the time that 4th batch shipped, the SC1 and M3 Simply had already been announced, and ooops, that first-to-market advantage was slipping away.... That's 4 batches, (maybe 5?) between release and christmas - when they should've been pumping that shit out like crazy. DS-X admits "we ended up in a situation with 0 production for about 1 month"...  wow, talk about pulling a "PS3"...
and the problems with their quality of their suppliers, it really sounds like a case of buying from the lowest bidder.Â

and from the sounds of some of the posts from some of the people on the dev team, they're post-grads / undergrads that run the company. That might explain... well, everything!?

The DS-Xtreme isn't garbage and did deserve the 9.5 score. The only thing it's been trumped on now is ROM compatibility. It's OS, extra features, homebrew and download play compatibility are still superior to any other cart on the market.

Saying that, I do definitely think that the DS-Xtreme is losing the stance it did and COULD have on the market because of some poor decisions by team DS-X. Their xtreme slowness when updates are concerned and most of their general attitude and secrecy isn't doing them any favours at all. This is probably the biggest downfall of the DS-Xtreme. Oh... and all the bad batches of DS-Xtremes that buyers are being stuck with isn't too good either.Â
wink.gif

objectively, team ds-x thus far have done nothing but fail. fail themselves, fail the reviewers, but most importantly fail the consumer. many promises made, few kept.. for far too long. it is likely that 1.1.0, or whatever it will be once finally released, will fix many of the problems keeping this cart from total superstardom, the fact of the matter is it would be too little too late.

i did not pay 125$ to be left in the dark, irregardless of the quality of the eventual release. i hope it's not vaporware and i hope it doesn't suck. at this point i question the motives for even releasing such a product at such a price before it is ready. i can't really even call it future proof with it being locked at 512MB, especially if rom size goes up to 256MB from the 128 i see now.

well anyways, i'm stuck with it now, hopefully it won't end up like the atari jaguar or, worse still, the gizmondo...

oya, i feel that at the time, maybe, the ds-x merited a 9.5 or so, certainly not now. just as an early 90's motorola brickphone may have gotten a 9.5, compared to today's higher standards i'd be foolish to say it would get anywhere even remotely near that...

Lawr.

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
objectively, team ds-x thus far have done nothing but fail. fail themselves, fail the reviewers, but most importantly fail the consumer. many promises made, few kept.. for far too long. it is likely that 1.1.0, or whatever it will be once finally released, will fix many of the problems keeping this cart from total superstardom, the fact of the matter is it would be too little too late.

i did not pay 125$ to be left in the dark, irregardless of the quality of the eventual release. i hope it's not vaporware and i hope it doesn't suck. at this point i question the motives for even releasing such a product at such a price before it is ready. i can't really even call it future proof with it being locked at 512MB, especially if rom size goes up to 256MB from the 128 i see now.

well anyways, i'm stuck with it now, hopefully it won't end up like the atari jaguar or, worse still, the gizmondo...

oya, i feel that at the time, maybe, the ds-x merited a 9.5 or so, certainly not now. just as an early 90's motorola brickphone may have gotten a 9.5, compared to today's higher standards i'd be foolish to say it would get anywhere even remotely near that...

Your first statement is correct, except for failing reviewers. They got exceptional reviews, even from GBAtemp like you pointed out. The final 9.5 score is the final score calculated from the points that the flashcart scores in each criteria. Reviews are meant to be READ and understond how or why they reach their final score. Looking at the final score and saying "that's bullshit!" is silly. seeing as the final score is based on the same criteria used to evaluate all flashcarts - their measuring stick if you will, it's fair more than anything. The thing is, how do you deduct points for having features such as internal memory or it's price? Internal memory or external upgradable memory? personal choice. should I spend $125 now, or wait an entire semester with hopes that M3 will have a product out by then? again, personal call.

Vaporware... are you sure you understand what vaporware means? The DS-X actually exists so... it's not vaporware.

Gnuh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Your first statement is correct, except for failing reviewers. They got exceptional reviews, even from GBAtemp like you pointed out. The final 9.5 score is the final score calculated from the points that the flashcart scores in each criteria. Reviews are meant to be READ and understond how or why they reach their final score. Looking at the final score and saying "that's bullshit!" is silly. seeing as the final score is based on the same criteria used to evaluate all flashcarts - their measuring stick if you will, it's fair more than anything. The thing is, how do you deduct points for having features such as internal memory or it's price? Internal memory or external upgradable memory? personal choice. should I spend $125 now, or wait an entire semester with hopes that M3 will have a product out by then? again, personal call.

Vaporware... are you sure you understand what vaporware means? The DS-X actually exists so... it's not vaporware.
The score that was given might not be accurate. It was a snapshot moment for that device that they reviewed. Scores should be re-evaluated every so often to display an accurate representation of the quality of the device. Just because PC Gamer gave Warcraft 2 a 9X% score does not mean it will rank up well to the games of today that score that well.

gbasho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The score that was given might not be accurate. It was a snapshot moment for that device that they reviewed. Scores should be re-evaluated every so often to display an accurate representation of the quality of the device. Just because PC Gamer gave Warcraft 2 a 9X% score does not mean it will rank up well to the games of today that score that well.

sono touri. that's exactly what i meant by 'failed the reviewers.' it makes them look bad if someone quickly looks at an old review without noticing the date posted. people are known to buy a product due to reviews; manufacturers know this which is why they sometimes send a review sample and subsequently expect to make back the money back from people seeing the review and buying the item. if someone sees old review, they might think it's the best, buy it, find out it sucks compared to new competition, then blame the reviewer for posting misleading information, which wouldn't be since when it was written, it was quite new and very true. moreover, it is really difficult to proclaim 'future proof' as a feature when clearly you have limited your product to 512MB hard limit. if 256 or gawd forbid 512MB roms come out, what is this product's... future? perhaps in the hands of the r4/m3 simply (for much less) or some other product inevitably coming out later. pay 125$ and wait for a better product or pay 60$ and wait for a better product. of course, it's the consumer's choice, but....

oh, and i did mean the firmware as vaporware, thanks for pointing that out for me!

daroga

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I've got to say I wholly disagree with 90% of the negativity in this thread.

I've had a DS-X since launch and really enjoy it. It's worked perfectly for me since day one and I've had no issues.

Especially at the time it was fantastic, maybe now it's a tad overpriced with other Slot 1 solutions out there, but it's hard to beat just jacking the DS-X into your computer and dragging a few apps over and having it ready to roll.

decept

Trophies
Website
www.decept.net
XP
Country
United States
I've got to say I wholly disagree with 90% of the negativity in this thread.

I've had a DS-X since launch and really enjoy it.  It's worked perfectly for me since day one and I've had no issues.

Especially at the time it was fantastic, maybe now it's a tad overpriced with other Slot 1 solutions out there, but it's hard to beat just jacking the DS-X into your computer and dragging a few apps over and having it ready to roll.

Hey daroga, sure the DS-X works great for you. However, since the first batch the rest of the releases have been riddled with problems ranging from hardware problems to corrupt saves. At the time you bought it, being the only option of course it was a good deal at $125. However, when you factor in the problems and the price NOW, then that's where you get the criticisms. You can praise the product all you want, actually only the people who bought one that works are the only ones who like it at this point. However, for the purpose of this thread, here and now, there's no way anyone in their right mind would buy one.

Especially when you factor in price, team DS-X is doing absolutely nothing (on the surface anyways) to justify the price or explain all the problems. Sure, they addressed the 'qkin' error, but what about the other problems, expecially the corrupt saves. Nothing shittier than putting in 30+ hours on Final Fantasy III only to wake up the next morning and find your save corrupt. R4/M3 don't do that, and they cost 1/3 the price of the DS-X.

So the bashing is justified, if for nothing else to warn people of the possibility of getting crap hardware at an exaggerated price.

See you on CAG.
wink.gif

(under a different handle)

screamster101

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I returned mine a bought an R4. My DS-X had the "qkin" bent casing problems. And considering it is limited to only 512mb shows it is out of date. Why even bother with a DS-X at this time? It offers nothing at this time that the other cards dont offer in a better package.
nyanya.gif

Time for the DS-X to move over and pass the crown to a worthy successor like M3, SC, or R4.

decept

Trophies
Website
www.decept.net
XP
Country
United States
By the way, if you do try to express any of these concerns on their "official forum" your thread will immediately be closed due to 'whining'. Apprently, they don't want you to question their product, they just want you to blindly trust them.

For $125 I damn well better be able to express concerns and question the higher price. This is not the case however, they just want to hide their flaws so no potential buyers will be scared away.

At first I thought the DS-X was a great product and almost ordered it blindly. I'm glad I waited and did the research, as I'm sure I would have greatly regretted my purchase.

VVoltz

The Pirate Lord
Trophies
XP
Country
I have to disagree, the support is really high, and the quality of the product is superb.
I am a happy customer since September.

freakygeeky

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's funny to read this thread now that the 1.1.0 firmware is out. The 1.1.0 update fixed everything that was annoying me about the 1.0.2 version of the DS-X. I've had a raging technoboner since it came out.

SUGARSPLIFF

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
point is ds-x costs way more than m3 simply or r4... m3 and r4 can do everything ds-x can do plus some. with dldi you do not need to worry about homebrew not working as all good homebrew is starting to support it.. its a question of if your willing to spend more than double what an m3/r4 costs for flashing lights.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F