do NOT get a dsx

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by captainlag, Jan 7, 2007.

Jan 7, 2007

do NOT get a dsx by captainlag at 7:31 AM (13,492 Views / 0 Likes) 103 replies

1. captainlag
    OP

Newcomer captainlag Newbie

United States
    a friend of mine recently purchased a dsx and i was thinking of getitng one myself, however he found out that the dsx is garbage and their support is the same.

i've been reading their forums and apparently a lot of people are upset and they are getting the run around from the company and message board moderators.

now my friend is out $140.... most unfortunate

2. T-hug

Chief Editor T-hug Always like this.

pip
    United Kingdom
    Can't say I didn't see that coming. I've bigged up M3 all the way and will continue to do so.
    DS-X put out crap at a high price to make a quick cash in on being one of the first companys to offer a slot 1 solution, now the superior R4 and M3 Simply is out, it will be interesting to see how DS-X mainatain their updates, if they bother to at all.
    Your friend should try and get some sort of refund if possible, then purchase a decent card. Shame to hear. M34L1f3

3. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    good thing I got a G6 instead!! [​IMG] bummer for your friend!!! [​IMG]

4. sidneyyoung

Member sidneyyoung GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Bermuda
    Anyone with a brain could see the ds-x was garbage, despite the stupid 9.5 review.

5. oatmeal1201

Newcomer oatmeal1201 Newbie

United States
    Okay, why is the DSX garbage and why is it a crappy company? ANd why is the R4 superior?

6. Gestahl

Member Gestahl GBAtemp Regular

Russia
    Umm, because of the compatibility?

7. shaunj66

Administrator shaunj66 Administrator

United Kingdom
    The DS-Xtreme isn't garbage and did deserve the 9.5 score. The only thing it's been trumped on now is ROM compatibility. It's OS, extra features, homebrew and download play compatibility are still superior to any other cart on the market.

Saying that, I do definitely think that the DS-Xtreme is losing the stance it did and COULD have on the market because of some poor decisions by team DS-X. Their xtreme slowness when updates are concerned and most of their general attitude and secrecy isn't doing them any favours at all. This is probably the biggest downfall of the DS-Xtreme. Oh... and all the bad batches of DS-Xtremes that buyers are being stuck with isn't too good either. [​IMG]

8. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

I don't know what the hell you guys are talking about.
    I love my DS-Xtreme, but I hate the DS-X team.

Garbage? Yeah right. It's certainly not worth its price (hence why I hate the team, among other reasons) but it's definitely a fantastic product.
    Like I said, here at home I've got almost every single flash kit out there (except the SC DS one, DSLinker and EZ5) and guess what? The only flashkit I use is still the DS-Xtreme.
    So before spreading your idiotic, baseless anti-DSX propaganda, make sure what YOU are saying isn't garbage.

9. ilovengage

Member ilovengage GBAtemp Fan

Austria
    You guys have no idea how great DS-X is if you say DS-X is garbage.

Since version 1.0.2 EVERY rom I tried worked without problems. Ooooh, Animal Crossing isn't working, how disappointing. Well, I think that's not so bad if you see the other side: Every new released rom works perfect. No updates, patches, ... needed. Just put it on your DS-X and it works. And you don't have do use crappy software to transfer games onto it. So i don't se ANY reason to not use a DS-X.

10. teonintyfive

Member teonintyfive GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Greece
    Well, I am happy with my DS-X, and if 99 euros are not cheap for you, hell, I got my freaking G6+Passkey on 180 euros, while now it's costing less than 70 euros.
    The DS-X price will fall.
    This is not the propaganda that should be spread.

THIS is the propaganda that should be spread.

[​IMG]

11. oatmeal1201

Newcomer oatmeal1201 Newbie

United States
    Thanks everyone. I feel a little better about my purchase now. I was worried there for a second. From the review I read this looks to be a simple solution. I remember one of my old cards for the GBA was a paid to use because of the software.

12. zektor

Member zektor GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well, I had one. It worked for a very short time and then crapped out, and I returned it. No, I will not be going this route again....not even for the light show! [​IMG]

13. thomaspajamas

Member thomaspajamas GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Alright, so you just had to go and make me make my first post.

The DsXtreme is great. I would recomend and have recomended it to everyone. The problem with the DsX forums is that once people get their working DsX, they dont bother going back to the forums because they're having so much fun with it.

I've had no problems with it at all, and it has been totally worth it. I am kind of missing GBA support, but that's not the DsX's job.

And really, how much more does it cost than the M3/R4? $25 dollars? (DsX - $125, M3 - $50 Unit +$50 MicroSD card)?

14. superdragon

Newcomer superdragon Newbie

Acutally Thomaspajamas, I just bought a M3 today and it was
    $40 and the SD 1 gig card $20.
    And I'm also one of the unfortunate that has a bad 4th batch of the DS-X.
    Try spending $131 and having it sit on your desk for 2 weeks without
    a fix... and checking forums 3-4x a day for a solution. It sucks.
    Poor DS-X support. M3 all the way

15. superdragon

Newcomer superdragon Newbie

16. rkenshin

Member rkenshin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think the reason I didn't get a DS-X is that from the looks of various videos, loading takes a little too long to start a game (from bootup) even longer than me using my old M3CF..

Though the auto-rom bootup is a great feature, something I wish was implemented in other alternatives..

17. nloding

Member nloding GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I'm satisfied with my DSX. I haven't had an issue, but I haven't tried to update the firmware at all ... that'd really mess me up. I got a good one from a good batch ... and I've only had one ROM fail on me (Super Mario 64 DS of all things!).

I think I would have rather gotten an R4, but I'm not that worried. I feel my money wasn't wasted either way. I don't load tons of ROMs on it because I do buy games I like. I also don't load music or videos onto it, which just seems dumb to me. So the 4Gb space isn't a worry to me at all.

And as I said, I haven't had any issues.

However, I know lots of people that still think Windows ME was a good operating system, and any technician knows it's pure manure. So it really depends on the uses and the person. I like more homebrew compatibility myself, and the DSX is still unrivaled from what I've seen.

18. Sasuke-Guy

Newcomer Sasuke-Guy Member

Canada
    wtf... the ds-x is rly good, u have no rite for telling ppl wat to buy, bttw, if u did look carefully tons of ppl arent that upset, including myself! It deserves a 9.5 score.. and has great compatibility, the support wasent that good, but some of the ds-x team had to finish the qkin issue.. so just be quiet >.>

DS-X RULESSSSSSSSSSSZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

19. Omero

Former Staff Omero Former Admin

Italy
    Proud DS-X Owner.

Reasons? Wonderful design (miniUSB integrated into a slot1 card), plug&play simplicity (no drivers or anything, no patching needed, etc...), OS-X Support (no other card maker are going this far), FPGA possibilities under the hood (all yet to be discovered), BEST OVERALL COMPATIBILITY (nearly perfect, both with roms and homebrew).

The bads? Integrated memory (though 4Gb sounds enough for my needs), slow, 'closed source' support & updates.

If only DS-X team gets out of the hole and give us a 1.03 fw with new features using the FPGA powers, and start disclosing some details for libfat integration, I'll be the happiest man alive.

But even as it is now, this is by far the best choice for a slot1 solution IMHO, if you don't mind the high price (even though i have to admit M3 and R4 are catching up, and will even surpass, if DS-X stands still. We'll see).

20. nerd1

Newcomer nerd1 Advanced Member

Australia
    +1 for a DS-X

Think mine's from 2nd batch. Got 2 in fact both works fine w/o problems. I loose stuff easily so I like the fact that the memory is built in LOL