Hacking Do I need to use ImgBurn to burn Wii/GC ISOs?

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do I need to use ImgBurn to burn Wii/GC ISOs?

...or can I use Nero / Alcohol 120%?

If I MUST use ImgBurn, why? (I'm just curious...)

Also, does burning the DVD at the slowest speed possible produce a better quality disc?

Thanks for any help!

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I burn mine with Nero, but I get them by dumping them with Wiikey's dvd dumper. So it may be a different case depending on how you get your ISOs because they could be in a different format. You can always try it and see.

Also, burning at slower speeds doesn't seem to always to be a good thing with the Wii. I started off burning at 2x (as that's what I do with PS2 games), but I started getting DREs constantly. So I started burning at 4x and 6x and got better results. You'll also get better results from better quality media, such as Memorex and Vertabim.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You do not have to use Imgbrn, it's just that people prefer to use it and that it's free. Nero or Alcohol 120% would be fine to use. Slow burning is not always the best solution, I find that burning at 4x is the best for me. Also I find that using good media is a better solution to making good backups ( I recommend either Taiyo Yuden premium line 8x DVD-R or Verbatim 16x DVD-R).

Sick Wario

Club Nintendo
Trophies
XP
Country
nero here also. nero seems to burn very well for me, at 16x. letting it check for errors after burning makes it almost 100%. imgburn works well, but i get better and faster results with nero
burning verb 16x +R with lg H22N and sony DRU800a

754boy

:D
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I burn all my stuff at 4x using both Imgburn and Nero. Doesn't really matter wat type DVDR media. I've been using some gold colored Maxells that Walgreen had on sale.

DEF-

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
IMGBurn is a much better burning application. Takes less system resources, its free and well updated. I usually get better burning results with it too, higher quality burns.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
i have both nero and imgburn and i use imgburn for wii & gamecube games because nero won't let me burn at a lower speed with my media type and burner, nero only lets me burn at 8x and imgburn lets me burn at any speed i want.

miikes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have both nero and imgburn and i use imgburn for wii & gamecube games because nero won't let me burn at a lower speed with my media type and burner, nero only lets me burn at 8x and imgburn lets me burn at any speed i want.
actually, depending on your burner and media, you can't burn at slower speeds. with imgburn, even if you set it to 4x or less it can only burn at your burner/media combo's compatible speed.

In my case, my burner won't burn 16x verbatims at speeds less than 6x (only burns at 6x, 8x,12x and 16x), so even if i set imgburn at 2x it will cheat and burn at 6x instead. just take a look the next time you burn at the data transfer speed as you're burning.

On topic, I used to have nero for general use and imgburn for isos. but now I've found the wonders of burning studio (Ashampoo) and I've pretty much forgotten about nero (bloated piece of crap now) and imgburn (still have alcohol for virtual drives though). btw, my burner seems to work better at 8x/12x

berlinka

You have sustained a lethal injury.
Trophies
Website
www.berlinka.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
With my Wiikey I started with trying a DVD+R from Maxell I had lying around and burning it with 8x speed in Nero on my little notebook. I haven't had a single failure yet
smile.gif
smile.gif
It's all working perfectly!

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country

actually, depending on your burner and media, you can't burn at slower speeds. with imgburn, even if you set it to 4x or less it can only burn at your burner/media combo's compatible speed.

In my case, my burner won't burn 16x verbatims at speeds less than 6x (only burns at 6x, 8x,12x and 16x), so even if i set imgburn at 2x it will cheat and burn at 6x instead. just take a look the next time you burn at the data transfer speed as you're burning.

On topic, I used to have nero for general use and imgburn for isos. but now I've found the wonders of burning studio (Ashampoo) and I've pretty much forgotten about nero (bloated piece of crap now) and imgburn (still have alcohol for virtual drives though). btw, my burner seems to work better at 8x/12x

i'm gonna try that ashampoo program and see how it goes, it seems it doesn't get updated often though, and i'm pretty sure the burning speed is what i have chosen it to do, i will check next time i burn a disc with imgburn.

imgod22222

GBAtemp's Original No-faced Member
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
If you use Nero, you have the option of having it check to see if it burned correctly. A very big plus for me.

As for burning speed, there are two rules:
1) Burn at the speed your media is rated for
2) Burn at the slowest speed possible

Just test with your burner. It varies. I get better results using #1. Lots of other people on the net get better results using method #2.

sofakng

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any disc quality advantage to using Nero or ImgBurn?

I would imagine that either program would work exactly the same, no?

Although, I do really like the simplier look/feel of ImgBurn...

nycwii

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i use both imgburn and nero. They both give me a variety of options, that i can use at my disposal. if you can i would reccoment to try them both out and then deside which 1 suits ur needs

goood luck
ph34r.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill