Hardware Do I get a steam box or xbox one

Yil

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Most of the xbox one EXCLUSIVE games could be purchased from steam or on a pc besides halo and gear of war.
And I am not interested in FPS or TPS.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
What games do you want to play on Xbox one? Are those games you just listed worth the price of getting the console?

Keep in mind that PC can be used for nearly everything. Games, videos, music, internet, email, social media, office work, etc.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Do you like Microsoft's exclusives like Halo, Gears of War, Fable or Forza? Get an Xbox One. Do you like Nintendo's exclusives like Mario, Pokemon, Zelda or StarFox? Get a Wii U. Do you like Sony's exclusives like InFamous, Uncharted, KillZone or Gran Turismo? Get a PlayStation 4. Do you like the best possible performance, even if it comes at a premium and even if you'll miss out on console exclusives? Get a PC.

That's what it all comes down to, really. The PS4 is stronger than the Xbox One, even if "marginally so" and the Wii U is the runt of the litter, but all three are far, far behind high-end gaming PC's. You pick a console because of its exclusive content and special features - if you don't care for them, you might as well get a PC and build a more powerful and well-rounded machine.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Want to be lazy and sit on the couch with a controller, popping in a game without having to configure it n what not.
Get an Xbone.

Want the best experience and lots n lots of Indie games, get a PC.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Depends on your budget really. Having and keeping up with a gaming PC will end up being tons more expensive than buying a console in the long run.

So if you want to stay cheap and have access to newer games for the next 8 or so years, buy an XBOne.

If you have money to burn every 3-5 years (maybe more if you don't mind using low settings after a while) for upgrading a gaming PC, get a gaming PC.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Steambox = prebuild PC for living room use with SteamOS preinstalled and will be available in future with dedicated controller.
Xbone = New Xbox

So like Foxi said you are better off neither one and building your own regular PC for gaming use. Then you can use regular Windows for better compatibility in games and still use 360 controller and HDMI to use it in living room as well if needed as steam does include same UI than SteamOS in form of Big Picture.

Depends on your budget really. Having and keeping up with a gaming PC will end up being tons more expensive than buying a console in the long run.

So if you want to stay cheap and have access to newer games for the next 8 or so years, buy an XBOne.

If you have money to burn every 3-5 years (maybe more if you don't mind using low settings after a while) for upgrading a gaming PC, get a gaming PC.

Actually I would like to disagree.
Yes, hardware upgrading may take some extra money in long run, but newest games are always bit cheaper on PC (usually ~10€, sometimes even cheaper somewhere like GMG), sales are regular and PC also has most exclusives and best backwards compatibility: you can't play 360 game on Xbone, but you can play same games PC version with newer PC - with better graphics and no need to rebuy in HD remake.
And of course if you simply stay on Xbone stage graphical fidelity then you don't have to upgrade your PC for same amount of time! That's what I haven't gotten around why some people think PC should play every game beautifully with higher frame rate, resolution and graphics, even if console versions doesn't.

Actual thing is do you have interest to learn how to build and manage PC or do you simply want to buy games physically, put them in and play. Other thing is that if you are going to buy only few games anyway then it's maybe easier to stick with consoles.

Reactions: Count Duckula

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Actually I would like to disagree.
Yes, hardware upgrading may take some extra money in long run, but newest games are always bit cheaper on PC (usually ~10€, sometimes even cheaper somewhere like GMG), sales are regular and PC also has most exclusives and best backwards compatibility: you can't play 360 game on Xbone, but you can play same games PC version with newer PC - with better graphics and no need to rebuy in HD remake.
And of course if you simply stay on Xbone stage graphical fidelity then you don't have to upgrade your PC for same amount of time! That's what I haven't gotten around why some people think PC should play every game beautifully with higher frame rate, resolution and graphics, even if console versions doesn't.

Actual thing is do you have interest to learn how to build and manage PC or do you simply want to buy games physically, put them in and play. Other thing is that if you are going to buy only few games anyway then it's maybe easier to stick with consoles.
Sure, new games on PC usually do cost less. Shame that you have to wait a couple months before they are released on PC if they were console multiplats prior, which was the case with Grand Theft Auto V or Metal Gear Rising, not to look for examples too far. You have the argument of Steam Sales and other such promotions, but Xbox Live and PSN are quickly catching up to the "flash sale craze" and they're organizing their own regularily now. Not only that, but on PC most of your purchases will be digital while on consoles you can always trade one game disc for another at any time in any game store. Both solutions have qualities to them - PC has cheaper games, but consoles have the convenience. Consoles have much cheaper hardware that you don't have to upgrade once throughout the generation, PC's can be freely upgraded, but the upgrades often cost quite a bit, especially during generation shifts when your CPU socket just "doesn't cut it anymore" and your entire setup might as well be trashed because newer, better CPU's or memory just won't work with it. PC offers top quality gaming, but it comes at a price. It's getting more and more convenient and affordable, but it still hasn't reached "console-level" of convenience.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
to be frank... this year is not a good year to get new PC or X1 or PS4. because many PS4 and X1 games also coming to PC (AssCreed, Witcher, Ryse, etc) and if your current pc are not strong enough, just play in lower resolution and graphic setting.

Next year if PS4 or X1 have compelling exclusve, then you will have better choice.

But if you also a heavy media user. I belive X1 is much better choice. You can simply tell xbox to play some movies. It also able to play MKV video files (coming in firmware update).

i dont have xbox one, but onXbox 360, kinect voice command are awesome for media control. heck, it still work even while music / video are playing.

EDIT:
i just realized it is quite funny that Kinect was marketed as "motion gaming" but sucks at motion gaming. In the other hand, it have awesome ears (err 4 array microphone) that did not get much attention.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
to be frank... this year is not a good year to get new PC or X1 or PS4. because many PS4 and X1 games also coming to PC (AssCreed, Witcher, Ryse, etc) and if your current pc are not strong enough, just play in lower resolution and graphic setting.

...And why is this year not a good year to get a new PC?
AMD Kaveri APUs cater to the budget gaming PC market, and Intel Core i5 is as strong for mid-to-high budget gaming as ever. Both are able to play most games without requiring a separate graphics card (AMD is better in this case), meaning you can play games straight away and throw in a graphics card as a later update to play all modern games (e.g. Battlefield 4) at whatever detail level you can afford (good graphics start at the $90-100 mark, with better graphics for max detail being $180-300). This also means that it's fairly easy to build a gaming PC on a tight budget.

Of course, such an upgrade path depends on what you need the "gaming" PC for. In other words, what games? Until the OP answers that, further speculation is... well, pointless.
For the record, my opinion is that there are no games worth buying an Xbox One for (since I'm not into CoD clones and I'm happy with Halo on 360) and only two games worth buying a PS4 for (Destiny and Kingdom Hearts 3, when it's out). That's just my opinion.

orangpelupa

Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
this is a transitional year for DX12 cards. AMD also only "refresh" their gpu lines.

on the other hand, on cpu side. only AMD still using old lines (they still stuck on piledriver with not so good IPC). so if you go to Intel, you can get broadwell (later this year) for better energy efficiency or by that time haswell will have lower price.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...And why is this year not a good year to get a new PC?
To be fair, you could use the argument that "buying a gaming PC" would be a better idea around the end of 2014, when Broadwell hits storeshelves and NVidia releases 800 Series desktop GPU's... because pro's roll on Intel + Nvidia, there's just no question about it. B-)

EDIT: Partially Ninja'd above. :P

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Broadwell doesn't really offer anything new (aside from energy efficiency) to the game that Devil's Canyon hasn't brought forward, so when it launches it will only be an incremental update. Nothing worth waiting for as far as the OP is concerned. Skylake on the other hand, due next summer, is a little more interesting, but that's nearly a year away. As for nVidia's 800 Series? I'll admit that I'm looking forward to it, which is the main reason why I haven't included any graphics updates in my upgrade plan (see blog). I want to see how it pans out before planning that upgrade.

Back to the topic, buying a gaming PC now is not a bad thing, and it will not disadvantage first time PC gamers as opposed to waiting until the end of the year. Enthusiasts and system builders have plenty to look forward to in the next wave of GPU architecture, making it worth waiting for them, but that has little impact on end-users/consumers/gamers for the time being. Considering the level of information provided, the OP would fall into the latter category.
Also, I suggest not hijacking this thread. Further discussion can either create a new thread or continue in PMs.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Sure, new games on PC usually do cost less. Shame that you have to wait a couple months before they are released on PC if they were console multiplats prior, which was the case with Grand Theft Auto V or Metal Gear Rising, not to look for examples too far. You have the argument of Steam Sales and other such promotions, but Xbox Live and PSN are quickly catching up to the "flash sale craze" and they're organizing their own regularily now. Not only that, but on PC most of your purchases will be digital while on consoles you can always trade one game disc for another at any time in any game store. Both solutions have qualities to them - PC has cheaper games, but consoles have the convenience. Consoles have much cheaper hardware that you don't have to upgrade once throughout the generation, PC's can be freely upgraded, but the upgrades often cost quite a bit, especially during generation shifts when your CPU socket just "doesn't cut it anymore" and your entire setup might as well be trashed because newer, better CPU's or memory just won't work with it. PC offers top quality gaming, but it comes at a price. It's getting more and more convenient and affordable, but it still hasn't reached "console-level" of convenience.

As for sales I though Sony was catching on with it but after PS4 release sales are pretty much repeating themselves with same prices and PS+ games are getting worse. I actually have to think about do I want to renew my plus subscription I have had since I got the console - which is two and half years ago :P
I can understand reselling physical copies but thing is I almost never sell my games as when I want to their price is worth maybe few euros so it's more expensive to send them at that point. Also buying physical games mean I have to wait 2+ days to get them (as nearest shop selling anything game related is over 100km away and I live in city) where digitally I get them right away so it's basically situation based which one is more convinient.

Also just like to point out asking wheter to get something PC related or Xbone under PC specific forum you can almost guess what answers you will get :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Gotta catch em all lol