Do external hard drives work in vWii homebrew channel?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by Robfozz, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Im planning on getting a 500gb external hard drive to put a butt ton of iso's and roms on to use on my Wii U but I actually dont know if vWii or the homebrew channel supports external hard drives. Does it only support USBs? Sorry if its a stupid question but I dont wanna spend $80 on something I couldn't use.

2. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    it supports USB HDD's, if it is a USB powered HDD though make sure you buy a Y Cable as a single USB port on the Wii U may not have enough power to run your HDD

3. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    I have a usb hard drive that I use with my wii that runs fine on a single cable. If it works fine with the wii it should run fine on the wii u right or are the usb ports on the wii u underpowered or something?

4. Clarky

Clarky Don't you know who I think I am?

Oct 4, 2007
    United States
    Underpowered. A Y cable will fix this on a Wii U or else you may find game or even certain apps will crash or even worse ruin your HDD

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle

Trust me, the Wii U has to be used with a Y-cable on those HDDs, you will more than likely ruin it if you don't.

6. NFG

NFG Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2013
    United States
    One of the reasons I use a HDD dock.

7. Robfozz
    OP

Robfozz GBAtemp Smartass

Apr 19, 2014
    United States
    Onett
    Alright I'll be sure to buy a Y cable

8. Goku Junior

Goku Junior GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 27, 2013
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    I've been using Nintendont app in the root of my 8GB pendrive and works perfectly.

9. nervx

nervx GBAtemp Fan

May 29, 2006
    Canada
    can you leave a hard drive with vwii isos plugged in all the time or will the wiiU automatically format it or nag you to death about doing so?