Hacking [DNS-U] New Update Blocking DNS Server

NeroAngelo

Clueless Importer
Trophies
XP
Country
Libya
Hi BDS - I'm always willing to take the communities input into consideration. My concern with your recommendation is that the information you're presenting is specific to NDS? I'd rather err on the side of caution unless blocking this host is actually creating problems for people. Let me know. Thanks.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

tagaya servers unblocked as per @BDS -- REASON: negatively impacts users by preventing updates to games.
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread guys, can one of you give me the current exact list of urls to block, i block Ninty urls using my router as a second layer of protection and if any can be allowed i would love to do that.

Last edited by NeroAngelo,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I've installed this as my primary DNS, with 127.0.0.1 as the secondary DNS...

If Ninty drops 11.3U for 3DS, or 5.6 for Wii U, I'll be ready to see if this blocks it.

BDS

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread guys, can one of you give me the current exact list of urls to block, i block Ninty urls using my router as a second layer of protection and if any can be allowed i would love to do that.
  • nus.cdn.shop.wii.com (update download server for Wii)
  • nus.cdn.wup.shop.nintendo.net (update download server for Wii U)
  • nus.wup.shop.nintendo.net (used to check network availability, Wii U) (if can't be reached, an error is issued and no update can be triggered: this should be the minimal protection, I don't know if it's enough by itself though)
  • nus.c.shop.nintendowifi.net (used to check network availability, Wii)
  • + if you want to filter for a non-A9LH'd 3DS (should help to keep browserhax): cbvc.cdn.nintendo.net

Reactions: NeroAngelo

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok, I have a question about this part:

Set Secondary to 127.0.0.1

Is it ".100" at the end of the string, or is it ".001"? Help appreciated :)
This just points to nowhere it's the default send requests nowhere ip similar to 0.0.0.0, pretty much any non existant ip will work there

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

MegAmi24

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
giphy.gif

Reactions: zeldaism

nexusmtz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This just points to nowhere it's the default send requests nowhere ip similar to 0.0.0.0, pretty much any non existant ip will work there
127.0.01 (loopback) is you, not nowhere. Connections with timeouts can return immediately on loopback because you can actively refuse them. If you use an arbitrary IP, you have to wait for the connection to fail to respond - there's nothing at the address to tell you no immediately. Whether 0.0.0.0 returns immediately is dependent on the implementation. (I haven't checked the WiiU)

KevinX8

Proud user of The Dark Theme
Trophies
XP
Country
127.0.01 (loopback) is you, not nowhere. Connections with timeouts can return immediately on loopback because you can actively refuse them. If you use an arbitrary IP, you have to wait for the connection to fail to respond - there's nothing at the address to tell you no immediately. Whether 0.0.0.0 returns immediately is dependent on the implementation. (I haven't checked the WiiU)
yeah forgot that 127.0.0.1 was localhost also 0.0.0.0 is null so the wii u should just refuse to attempt to connect to it, also it wouldn't matter that it would have to wait an extra few secs to see if there is a connection because once it realises there is none it will stop trying until the user tries to use an online service

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself