Hacking DLC, Eshop games, & VC on SysNAND without RedNAND?

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Rednand is no different from an Emunand like the 3ds was, there all emulation based from the actual main system, trust me it can be updated as long as the nands are unlinked.

Yes it can be updated, but you will brick the other copy of the OS due to antidowngrade protection (the highest run system version is saved to eeprom, which currently isn't emulated in rednand (this sentence doesn't imply or deny it will be soon or ever)), so practically speaking it mustn't be updated even if you can

Reactions: AmandaRose

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Is that ok ?
2. Everytime i want eshop vcWii on my USB HDD to show on my wiiU i have to launch HL /CFWBooter ?
3. Do i need to exit to MiiMaker/HomeMenu after each install ? Or can i install more than 1 game in WUP ?
4. I made my fw.img from dimok with this tuto : https://gbatemp.net/threads/building-iosuhax-on-windows.447023/
With md5checksum i got : 78E9F89824EF506F4CA1BDC4B155F281
The fw.img i get from that iso site is : B0617E31F41F07B5EC9B948838E8C71D
So which one is correct ?

THX
1. Should be fine
2. Not every time, you only run isouhax (ie cfwbooter) once each time you turn the Wii U on
3. No, you can use wup install Y mod to install a bunch of games at once
4. There are tons of different sig patched fw.img. If you have one that works, it is fine

Last edited by Kohmei,

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
- i put my 500gb HDD in back USB with Y power
- then i plug a new HDD (let say 1tb) in the front USB port, it will ask to format, OK
- I go to management and transfer everything from 500gb to new 1Tb and it will take 20 hours or so...
Is that ok ?
No, only have 1 drive connected for formatting (after it's obviously OK to connect both to move games)
Both may be, after all the source code is updated over time, and other dependencies (python, devkitarm, pycrypto etc) might have a direct influence on the output yet not be the same

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just wrote this message over there so you might want to read this below first before you go thinking its a great work around from Rednand, its not, trust me! you do not save any time over Rednand in fact it takes longer in theory.

Its not as great as it seeems! I prefer myself to just keep using Rednand, its easier. I was testing this method out last night and its not that great as it seems because you have to boot into the cfw/fw.img menu and install via wupinstaller so you have to boot the browser/homebrew launcher again every time you want to install content to it and also to use the dlc or eshop games again you have to boot back again into the cfw/fw.img so its not actually been used on the main system menu when you first boot up the wiiu, you still have to boot into some sort of custom menu at least with Rednand you just boot into Rednand and you can install multiple content via the System Config Tool from the main menu in Rednand, instead of having to go through the browser steps again to use Wupinstaller to install content to the main menu! Sorry but I do not see the point over Rednand, its more hassle than its worth doing and it certainly does not save time over Rednand booting/installing, that is.

As soon as you get coldboothax working though, its going to be no different than RedNAND really. you'll be able to turn on your Wii U and on cold boot have all the sigs patched from startup without having to enter the browser.

julienbdes

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ok some questions :
I have a 500gb HDD full of brazilian games. If i want to put some eshop, wii VC,... i will need some more space.
To do so :
- i put my 500gb HDD in back USB with Y power
- then i plug a new HDD (let say 1tb) in the front USB port, it will ask to format, OK
- I go to management and transfer everything from 500gb to new 1Tb and it will take 20 hours or so...
Is that ok ?
2. Everytime i want eshop vcWii on my USB HDD to show on my wiiU i have to launch HL /CFWBooter ?
3. Do i need to exit to MiiMaker/HomeMenu after each install ? Or can i install more than 1 game in WUP ?
4. I made my fw.img from dimok with this tuto : https://gbatemp.net/threads/building-iosuhax-on-windows.447023/

THX
1-Get the fw precompiled from the site. No risk you have an error in your compilation.
2-With WUP Y you can install multi games
3-cfw on hbl every reboot for vc eshop and dlc

barak06

Trophies
XP
Country
France
1-Get the fw precompiled from the site. No risk you have an error in your compilation.
2-With WUP Y you can install multi games
3-cfw on hbl every reboot for vc eshop and dlc

Ok so if i install VCWii-supermariogalaxy2 on my HDD it will only appear on my WiiU homeMenu after HL/CFWbooter ?

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just wondering, seeing as Iosuhax can run on Sysnand, does it break vwii VC, or will that still work.
If so, could this allow Devolution/USB Launcher GX through a Wii VC (with contenthax)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thekarter104

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so, I installed Smash DLC, but it doesn't work.

What I did:
Used the cfwbooter to boot with sig patch.
Installed Smash DLC on a 4GB USB drive. Decided to use that since that site says if you install to install memory, you will lose it again if you boot redNAND next time, assuming it also happens without redNAND I guess.

Tried to boot Smash (Disc).
It says preparing update even though it's on its latest version.
An error pops up that I need 3690MB of space.

-

Ok, now comes the weird part:
Why does it need that much space while the latest update is on internal memory?
When I copied the DLC over to the internal memory, it still says I need 3690MB!
1. I have 16 GB left, and 2. I have the latest damn update already.
Why DLC doesn't work? What do I do wrong?

Virtual Console has no problems, working fine.

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok so, I installed Smash DLC, but it doesn't work.

What I did:
Used the cfwbooter to boot with sig patch.
Installed Smash DLC on a 4GB USB drive. Decided to use that since that site says if you install to install memory, you will lose it again if you boot redNAND next time, assuming it also happens without redNAND I guess.

Tried to boot Smash (Disc).
It says preparing update even though it's on its latest version.
An error pops up that I need 3690MB of space.

-

Ok, now comes the weird part:
Why does it need that much space while the latest update is on internal memory?
When I copied the DLC over to the internal memory, it still says I need 3690MB!
1. I have 16 GB left, and 2. I have the latest damn update already.
Why DLC doesn't work? What do I do wrong?

Virtual Console has no problems, working fine.
The update and DLC need to be installed to the same place, I think
So that within "Smash 4" under disc management, you see your DLC and update icons within the same title. Not sure if you catch what I'm saying

Edit: also if you move the DLC or the update, it will probably overwrite the other one. So first delete the DLC, then move the update files (and save files) over to USB. Then reinstall the DLC to USB.

Last edited by Kohmei,
Reactions: AutumnWolf

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I just wrote this message over there so you might want to read this below first before you go thinking its a great work around from Rednand, its not, trust me! you do not save any time over Rednand in fact it takes longer in theory.

Its not as great as it seeems! I prefer myself to just keep using Rednand, its easier. I was testing this method out last night and its not that great as it seems because you have to boot into the cfw/fw.img menu and install via wupinstaller so you have to boot the browser/homebrew launcher again every time you want to install content to it and also to use the dlc or eshop games again you have to boot back again into the cfw/fw.img so its not actually been used on the main system menu when you first boot up the wiiu, you still have to boot into some sort of custom menu at least with Rednand you just boot into Rednand and you can install multiple content via the System Config Tool from the main menu in Rednand, instead of having to go through the browser steps again to use Wupinstaller to install content to the main menu! Sorry but I do not see the point over Rednand, its more hassle than its worth doing and it certainly does not save time over Rednand booting/installing, that is.
Yes, but it does save you from buying a 64gb SD card if you don't have one lying around...

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Course you will be able to update Rednand that's rubbish as long as you can unlink the nands rednand will be able to be updated for future use this method wont, remember your using an actual systemnand mirror not a cfw like rednand, a totally separate firmware img on an sd card. I agree with the VC content, that's a shame!
@Reecey you are totally wrong rednand can't be updated as it bricks the wiiu nand the reason for this is because the wiiu stores firmware on two chips firstly on the nand and secondly on a eprom chip. When you switch the wiiu on the eprom checks the firmware version on the eprom matches the the firmware on the nand. If you update Rednand it will also update the eprom. So when you switch on the wiiu the firmware version on the eprom will be higher than the firmware on the nand so it won't boot anything and you will have a expensive brick. This has been discussed already in other threads. The 3ds only stores firmware in nand so that is why emunand can be updated on a 3ds.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@Reecey you are totally wrong rednand can't be updated as it bricks the wiiu nand the reason for this is because the wiiu stores firmware on two chips firstly on the nand and secondly on a eprom chip. When you switch the wiiu on the eprom checks the firmware version on the eprom matches the the firmware on the nand. If you update Rednand it will also update the eprom. So when you switch on the wiiu the firmware version on the eprom will be higher than the firmware on the nand so it won't boot anything and you will have a expensive brick. This has been discussed already in other threads. The 3ds only stores firmware in nand so that is why emunand can be updated on a 3ds.
That's right, here's your mention on this:
I don't need to provide a link just read the ten billion other rednand threads on here where it has been discussed and a valid reason has been given into why rednand will never be able to be updated. Basically in simple terms the wiiu has a specific chip that cannot be emulated in rednand this chip is partly used when you update the wiiu. Part of the update goes on this chip and part of it goes to the nand chip. When you switch on the wiiu it checks that the chip firmware and the nand firmware is the same version. So if you update rednand part of the update will go on the chip and part will go to Rednand which means switching the wiiu back on will result in a brick as the chip and sysnand will have different firmware versions.

Last edited by Spearel18,
Reactions: AmandaRose

xtreemsurf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe just running hbl allows access to dlc etc after installing, however you do need to run hbl everytime you boot the Wii U.

In theory coldboot will run fw.img so the process will be automated upon booting your wii U.

At present rednand is pretty much the same length process wise so my advice is just to wait it out a little while longer, coldboot is very nearly done.
Thanks for this info...so it still requires a CFW before being able to use the eShop or VC game. What happens if you try to run one of those games, after its installed, but without loading the CFW again? Does it just go to black screen?

ManuelKoegler

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thanks for this info...so it still requires a CFW before being able to use the eShop or VC game. What happens if you try to run one of those games, after its installed, but without loading the CFW again? Does it just go to black screen?
It'll state an error telling you that the required NNID is unlinked from the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by ManuelKoegler,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/34203/Tomb_Raider_Definitive_Survivor_Trilogy/ mmm