Gaming Dissidia 012, does it have random encounters?

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm playing Dissidia and its pretty good. I hear Dissidia 012 adds an over world which I had no idea about until now. But overworld = random encounters??

I was about to get this game but I need to make sure about this beforehand. Like I said I never knew about the overworld, I always thought Dissidia 012 was just Dissidia with more characters and a bonus story. (Super Ultra Dissidia Turbo)

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I already have Dissidia. That's why I asked. But its funny only now this thread gets replies since the game has suddenly started to be really repetitive. Now I don't want Dissidia 012, at least not as much as I did before.

It makes no sense, you have 20+ characters to play as but instead the game makes you grind out a single one so you can be at a high enough level to complete all the extra chapters. The story with the final boss should probably have been the last one. And even though I've been playing for so many hours, most of the RPG elements are still incomprehensible.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I already have Dissidia. That's why I asked. But its funny only now this thread gets replies since the game has suddenly started to be really repetitive. Now I don't want Dissidia 012, at least not as much as I did before.

It makes no sense, you have 20+ characters to play as but instead the game makes you grind out a single one so you can be at a high enough level to complete all the extra chapters. The story with the final boss should probably have been the last one. And even though I've been playing for so many hours, most of the RPG elements are still incomprehensible.
You should've started on 012. The first Dissidia is a hot mess compared to 012. 012 does a better job at introducing the characters rather than grinding them all up.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got past the repetitive part in any case since I made my guy level 100. So now the game isn't repetitive but rather stressful and hard. I have to deal with all the level 93+ guys but I'm slowly making my way through them and now their levels are starting to exceed 100. I just beat Cloud of Darkness. So I have 8 more villains to go, problem is I don't know what comes after that. Winning against them isn't as rewarding as it should be since I know that each opponent will will be harder than the last. I'm not sure if I'm making progress, or just digging a hole for myself. And I wish I saved replays, it might've been fun to watch all 22 wins in succession, with the hundreds of failed attempts cut out. But I didn't think of that until I was already halfway through.

If Square Enix were gonna make a sequel then maybe they shouldn't have made the first game so hard? After this I bet 012 is just going to be easy street..

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
If Square Enix were gonna make a sequel then maybe they shouldn't have made the first game so hard? After this I bet 012 is just going to be easy street..

Well, no. Duodecim is a bit harder since they fixed some ways to exploit the AI and made chase sequences much faster. They also rebalanced EX mode to not be so completely broken. Granted Dissidia was very difficult for me when I first played it, so on the one hand it might be better to get used to the system with the first game, but on the other hand I wouldn't recommend getting used to an very outdated system. If you want to learn on any system, I'd recommend 012's. If you enjoy the game, the practice will come naturally, and soon you'll be able to best lvl 105 computers.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well im liking the game again. Scratch that, Im loving it. There is so much glory in these battles. The difficulty paid off. I still have Gabranth to beat though and I'm worried about what comes after him. (Dont tell me!! Spoilers!!) But anyway now I have another question. If I get Dissidia 012 on the vita, can I still use the in-game convert to avi feature for replays, and then upload the avis to youtube directly from the Vita??

But if so, can't I do this from PSP? I assumed the answer is no but I fail to see why not. After all I'm just uploading a file, what does it matter if the PSP has poopy specs/memory. I might as well give it a try with a replay from the first Dissidia.

Meteor7

Guess where this thumb goes.
Trophies
a fit of spasms and accidental black magic
XP
Country
United States
Well im liking the game again. Scratch that, Im loving it. There is so much glory in these battles. The difficulty paid off. I still have Gabranth to beat though and I'm worried about what comes after him. (Dont tell me!! Spoilers!!) But anyway now I have another question. If I get Dissidia 012 on the vita, can I still use the in-game convert to avi feature for replays, and then upload the avis to youtube directly from the Vita??

But if so, can't I do this from PSP? I assumed the answer is no but I fail to see why not. After all I'm just uploading a file, what does it matter if the PSP has poopy specs/memory. I might as well give it a try with a replay from the first Dissidia.

I'm glad to hear that you're digging the game! Sorry, but I don't know how the .avi conversion feature works with the Vita.

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dissidia is cruel. One moment its good then for the next fifty hours it's a drag. I've still been wondering whether I want to play 012 but I've realized that the answer is probably no, assuming the game has Dissidia's story mode in it! What the hell was Square Enix thinking?! We played Dissidia already, so why would you make us play it again? To make matters worse, Dissidia intended for its story chapters to play be replayed multiple times. (Which was a terrible way to structure the game) So we've not only played the story mode already, we played it multiple times! Then they go and pile it on further by adding it to 012...

It raises questions like, how much is dissidia story mode part of 012 and did the makers take any steps to separate it. And do you unlock any items/modes/chpters from completing it. (Which s a Schrödinger's cast issue, because technically you have to beat Dissidia story mode anyway just to find out whether it was optional -- thereby making it not optional!) And if you have to unlock it does that mean you'll be playing with your Lv100 characters while the enemies are all level 1 through 50? Which is a rampant problem with the first Dissidia as well..

Square Enix I want my life back

Hargrun

Support the arts! (The games, silly.)
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Dissidia is cruel. One moment its good then for the next fifty hours it's a drag. I've still been wondering whether I want to play 012 but I've realized that the answer is probably no, assuming the game has Dissidia's story mode in it! What the hell was Square Enix thinking?! We played Dissidia already, so why would you make us play it again? To make matters worse, Dissidia intended for its story chapters to play be replayed multiple times. (Which was a terrible way to structure the game) So we've not only played the story mode already, we played it multiple times! Then they go and pile it on further by adding it to 012...

It raises questions like, how much is dissidia story mode part of 012 and did the makers take any steps to separate it. And do you unlock any items/modes/chpters from completing it. (Which s a Schrödinger's cast issue, because technically you have to beat Dissidia story mode anyway just to find out whether it was optional -- thereby making it not optional!) And if you have to unlock it does that mean you'll be playing with your Lv100 characters while the enemies are all level 1 through 50? Which is a rampant problem with the first Dissidia as well..

Square Enix I want my life back
Hey, buddy. Hold on... Not everyone played the first Dissidia.

And... well, some games really can be repetitive as hell. I remember this game seemed hard to me, so I adopted the RPG Mode and then the game became ridiculously easy (and even more repetitive.)

What you can try to do is try other modes and characters, but definitely avoid the RPG Mode!

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing I forgot to mention, the destiny points mechanic. Terrible mechanic. Does the 012 version of Dissidia story mode have that too? I considered trying to beat Chaos with a different character, but the heroes are basically off limits to me. Because if I'm gonna have to go through each of their stories 4 or 5 times to get everything (well not everything because I don't even know how to get everything) then I'd rather do that before their level becomes too high.

The villains (and Shantotto) are more appealing since I can just take them straight to Duel Coliseum and not worry about story.. well at least until they're leveled enough to do Destiny Odyssey, at which point I'd have to stop having fun and play Destiny Odyssey again just so I can be sure to get everything.

I tried command battle briefly and it's actually pretty poorly implemented. What turned me off about it though even before going in was the fact you have to spend Rosetta Stones to make command battle more effective.

Funny thing is, I'm technically not supposed to know that Dissidia 012 has Dissidia story mode in it. I only know about this because I was told on the internet. Maybe I should just go in blind. But on the other hand, playing Dissidia tells me enough about what 012 is probably like that I probably don't want to play it, at least not soon.

Hey, buddy. Hold on... Not everyone played the first Dissidia.
But Dissidia came first... shouldn't the sequel be designed with that in mind? We're not talking about a ten year old game either... Dissidia and 012 are on the same system. Didn't it occur to them that most of the people who play 012 will have played Dissidia? I can bet that Dissidia outsold Dissidia 012 in the west, especially considering PSP was much closer to dead when 012 came out, and the fact that the firs Dissidia had the shock and awe that comes with being the first Final Fantasy fighting game.

The games are on the same system so if someone has 012 and wanted to play Dissidia they could just get it! It was sold as a greatest hits and on PSN so it actually benefits Square to keep the games separate. Sure it was generous of them to attach Dissidia to 012 but I just hope they realize this means that many people will end up starting Dissidia twice (if only to quit the second time once they realize they're just playing what they already played) which is incompetent design.

Hargrun

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
But Dissidia came first... shouldn't the sequel be designed with that in mind? We're not talking about a ten year old game either... Dissidia and 012 are on the same system. Didn't it occur to them that most of the people who play 012 will have played Dissidia? I can bet that Dissidia outsold Dissidia 012 in the west, especially considering PSP was much closer to dead when 012 came out, and the fact that the firs Dissidia had the shock and awe that comes with being the first Final Fantasy fighting game.

The games are on the same system so if someone has 012 and wanted to play Dissidia they could just get it! It was sold as a greatest hits and on PSN so it actually benefits Square to keep the games separate. Sure it was generous of them to attach Dissidia to 012 but I just hope they realize this means that many people will end up starting Dissidia twice (if only to quit the second time once they realize they're just playing what they already played) which is incompetent design.
Errrr... I don't think so. Dissidia 012 was pretty improved. I mean, REEEALLY improved (in comparison, ofc).

Some people prefer to say that Dissidia 012 is an updated version of Dissidia, instead of just a sequel.

And honestly... Between playing an outdated game just to get the story stuff and an updated version with everything packed, I prefer the second option!

zeello

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, it was hard to tell whether 012 was Dissidia 2, or just a roster update. (i.e. Super Dissidia Turbo) But if SE expected people to play 012 first, they would be dreaming. The only way to undo releasing a series in the wrong order is to bring them to a different platform. In other words, 012 HD on Vita/PS3/PS4. That way fans of the console would be forced to pick 012, and experience Dissidia as an unlock within 012 rather than its own game.

Anyway, if 012 is improved, that's great. I myself know how much a sequel can be improved, the difference can be like night and day. But I will at least take a break from now. I am cautious. Call it damage control. If I have to waste my life twice on a Dissidia game, then I might as well spread it out. Currently playing MotorStorm Arctic Edge, and probably after that, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. (which is a square enix game... That's risky enough as it is!)

Hargrun

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
[...] and probably after that, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. (which is a square enix game... That's risky enough as it is!)
Haha, better pick the Final Mix (or even the HD 2.5 Remix)... Just to be sure of not having to repeat anything in the future. :lol:

(Only realized now that Square Enix seems Capcom releasing their games this way. :huh:)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Were actually bots