Disk Burning Speeds Explained

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by moosh01, Nov 28, 2008.

Nov 28, 2008

Disk Burning Speeds Explained by moosh01 at 5:24 AM (4,418 Views / 0 Likes) 54 replies

1. moosh01
    OP

Member moosh01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Ok so a lot of people have been asking "what is the best speed to burn at?", and there have been A LOT of different answers.
    There is no right answer for this, it is mostly dependent on personal preference and what suits the hardware and media you are using.

So searching through the forums it seems that the majority of people suggest either half speed of the media max (usually 8x), or max speed (usually 16x). I would have to agree with this, as it seems to be just fine in most cases.

There are people that want or have to burn at lower speeds and this should work fine too. There are people who will tell you this will strain your laser on your wii but this is not true!! Your write speed is just the speed that data is written to the disk, slower being the slow and steady to ensure a more consistent burn if you are having trouble at higher speeds.

So test it out, it is rare that you will get a coaster from your burn speed, but if you do get one experiment a little and verify your disks.

Hope this helps. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. thawkins1

Member thawkins1 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is what I have been telling the people that ask why their backups isn't working. Because I used to have that problem. But then I burned my disc at the speed that the disc said is supported and it worked perfect.

3. moosh01
    OP

United States
    yup there is always someone posting asking about this, and there are 20 answers all of them different

4. dnmn8r

Member dnmn8r GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    For those that think faster write speed can screw up your laser, think of it this way.
    If i were to write a 500 word essay in 10 hours, it makes no difference to you, as you will read it at whatever speed you are capable of reading.

5. TeenTin

Member TeenTin GBAtemp Maniac

Hong Kong
    I find no one mentioning the DVD writer. But it DOES matter !

6. moosh01
    OP

United States
    hardware being your dvd writer [​IMG]

7. fgsfdsyo

Member fgsfdsyo GBAtemp Regular

United States
    As heated as this can be debated, my personal experience is a queer one.
    I was burning YDL for PS3 at 4x and the burn came out bad, reburned it at 2x came out flawless.
    Burning my backup of Twilight Princess (RIP brave soul~) at 1x (for laughs and giggles, et cetera) and the program stopped working after 38%.

2x seems to be the predominant speed for me, but others that I've known seem to prefer higher speeds. They've never gotten a coaster, but then again I have one right next to me.

Experiment, find what you like.
    DVD-Rs are like 18-25c a disc, it's not a enormous sum of money.

8. DaMummy

Member DaMummy GBAtemp Maniac

United States
  9. moosh01
    OP

United States
    1. that thread said nothing about slow burns specifically, it said different people have different results

B. he hasn't proved this theory of 'killing your lens', he has merely shown you have to verify your disk to see what works best for you

Lastly. YOU CAN"T STRAIN A LASER [​IMG]

10. DaMummy

United States
    thats like saying youre not gonna mess up your car engine by always running it in 1st gear at 8000RPM
    yes the car is gonna run for a while, but who knows for how long.......

11. moosh01
    OP

United States
    that is a completely misleading and wrong analogy
    this thread is just a step in the right direction for the many people who arew asking 'what speed should i use' posts. you read those and there is an answer for every speed, and they get nowhere. there is no correct answer that will apply to everyone you have to do what works best for your situation.

12. DaMummy

United States
    no its not, youre making the wii laser work harder than it has to/should. it was the same thing with the gamecube laser, that thing only read like 5 different kinds of media, and even then you had to adjust the POT(the intensity of the laser) just to get it to read the disc on every boot. ive been burning 300+ games for the wii at 16x using verbatim dvd-r while also surfing the web and doing other stuff on pc and ive not once had a coaster, well except for the time i burned a 1.3gb img of wii game, which was obviously a bad rip

13. digitydogs

Member digitydogs 404 Error: Member Not Found

United States
    For the last time your burning speed does not affect the wii laser in any way. If anything is going to "kill" the laser it would be adjusting it to work outside of specs in order to read discs it isnt meant to. The wii drive is a DVD drive. Nintendo left the dvd command in because they were originally going to have a dvd player, but went with the "wii format" to avoid paying royalties. Maybe one day they plan to pay them and install a player with an update, or offer one on the shop channel, only time can tell. When a disc is read its read speed is detirmined by the firmware, hardware capabilities and media integrity. A bad burn (lots of errors) will cause the wii laser to do more work re-reading sections of disk, which does lead to more wear and tear over time. Verify your disks after burning, do one at each speed, whichever has the fewest errors is going to be the best speed for your computer and media. Using the logic thrown around lately i could argue that real wii discs will wear out the drive faster because they read @ 6x which means the laser has to move faster. Now can we please stop spreading the rumors than fast or slow burns result in dead drives. Bad burns are the only thing that is going to shorten the life of your drive.

In summation... Test all speeds, verify, and go what works best for your system in terms of lowest error rate be it 2,4,8,or 16x

Edit:
    And no i am not saying that real wii discs will hurt the drive, it was sarcasm.

14. moosh01
    OP

United States
    thank you digitydogs you put it into words better than i did [​IMG]

15. killme460

Newcomer killme460 Advanced Member

United States
    lol, its probably some BS about "straining your laser" that some Nintendo "scout" put up

16. DaMummy

United States
    ok well if youre not gonna listen to reason, than at least burn at at at least 6x cause it burns faster than 2x and youll get more done. also if you do plan on downloading your games and not backing up your legally purchased games, download them from a good source, not some crappy public torrent site, newsgroup accounts are quite cheap these days, you can get hundreds of games in a single month with an unlimited account, point is, a scene rip is better than some rip a 13 year old kid posted on a torrent site

17. Jim~

Member Jim~ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    you can get scene releases on torrent sites too, ya know [​IMG]

18. layzieyez

Member layzieyez GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I just rip it myself. Can't be bothered with downloading 1:1 copies or scrubbed. I use my bandwidth for movies, music, playing online etc. instead. I burn with Pioneer burner to Taiyo Yuden @ 4X on a Mac with Disc Utility allowing verification. Never a bad burn. Also, since I am backing up original discs, if my drive makes weird noises (like when you play original of Mysims), you can verify its the game and not the burn/disc to troubleshoot.

19. NeoGodSpeed

Newcomer NeoGodSpeed Member

United States
    Ok I have been burning for so long that my first burner was a 2x only this was a cd-r not a dvdr... So here is the scoop!!!

No matter WHAT you are burning it's all about the type of burner the firmware & the Media you use. No matter if it cheap in price don't mean it is cheap media!!! Some media will last 10 years and start to fade crack or break down, in easy terms I am using here. I can burn at 20x for everything I burn no matter what!!!

Now the why , You Ask right...

Why because I have burners, dvd reader's for each system, some with hacked firmware for better reads, or for burner's for more media types, to make it stable. This does take alot of time but worth it!
    When finding the right burner for the right job. I use a lite-on for wii at 20x... perfect. I use the cheapest media I can find also.

The Only reason you would have to slow down a burn is because your computer is to slow to burn fast, or your burner is not for what you are burning! Do research on the burner befor you buy it! There is no reason to upgrade firmware if it burns a perfect copy already, it might make it not posible to continue to burn at the same quality you where befor!

lite-on's can burn well over 5,000 dvdr's without problems, sony's maybe 1000 if you are lucky... my 4x sony got 250 only it can read still not burn. some LG are pretty good, poineer's good, some samsung's are good, plextor's were good.

Lower resource burning app's are better also, nero is good but imgburn is alot better! I also use different app's to burn what I am burning at the time.

Alot of this is from trial an error, because you have the burner I have don't always mean you are going to be the same.

I always burn, view 10-15 web pages, unrar and rar and download & upload all at the same time, without a problem.

Good Luck to you.

20. WhiteWingedKnigh

Member WhiteWingedKnigh GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well if anyone of you remember the sound issue i had with call of duty when someone speaks? it gets cut off sometimes i burned the game at 2x, now this morning i burned the game at 8x (half the medias max) and the sound issue still persists, its not annoying, but i would like it not to get cut off, or hear screaming germans sounding like chipmunks