Homebrew [Discussion] Next Smea release looks like it's gonna be a big one!

bakurage

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm on N3DS 9.9, i'm hop full kernel exploit for dump my game, and playing whithout take my game cards, not install C.I.A. The DS Linker have kill my pleasur playing at DS, i buy 1 game per month or 2, it's good for me :P

Reactions: djbrianz

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think that everyone knows that yellows8 and smea have access to kernel and arm9 and arm11 like srsly how do u think they modified the CPU speed and all that stuff....if somebody could get the permissions that the CPU has (maybe arm9?) We could possibly get full access to the system
You obviously don't know what your talking about. Controlling the CPU clockspeed is done by a service called PTM:sysm which is a userland service.

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's not the point. They can be used to do illegal things. You could say "what about emulators in userland," userland exploits simply make the system Open Source. Just like Android.
Do you even know what you're talking about? The 3ds has never been and will never be Open Source... To clarify the difference between open and closed source lets take Android you can go to http://android.googlesource.com and all of Android's code is there and you can modify it and recompile it to do whatever you want it to do... The 3ds will stay closed source because Nintendo has always liked "proprietary" which ends up biting them in the ass a lot (we probably wouldn't have as much rampant piracy if they allowed us to run any userland code and gave us a small SDK or something). Open source means you me or anyone with access to the internet in the world can view, change and then possibly have their changes merged upstream (which means added to the original project basically). Anyways please refrain from talking about things you don't know much about

Death78793

What is this, a first person shooter?
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no visible need for devs to find another kexploit aside from dynarec and other small goodies. Smea isn't too proud of what ninjhax 1 became, and now ninjhax 2/other hax have everything any AP dev could need and with the new update they have even more stuff coming their way.

Garcia98

Hey! Listen!
Trophies
Website
github.com
XP
Country
That's not the point. They can be used to do illegal things. You could say "what about emulators in userland," userland exploits simply make the system Open Source. Just like Android.

I'm waiting for a CyanogenMod build for the 3DS.

Last edited by Garcia98,

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
There's no visible need for devs to find another kexploit aside from dynarec and other small goodies. Smea isn't too proud of what ninjhax 1 became, and now ninjhax 2/other hax have everything any AP dev could need and with the new update they have even more stuff coming their way.

There's enough legitimate reasons to want a kernel exploit. Smea does a lot for the community but his anti-piracy stance prevents things like romhacks (so far), dynarec, legitimate backups (I have a substantial collection of imports I'd like to preserve) and eShop spoofing. Competition is a healthy thing to have in any community. I don't think anyone can really say that the majority of big 3ds releases coming from one guy (and his circle of friends) is that healthy for the community. Don't take this as an insult to the guy (it isn't, he's awesome). I'm sure in time a kernel exploit will come for 9.3+, it's just going to be a long wait.

Last edited by kiwiis,

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you even know what you're talking about? The 3ds has never been and will never be Open Source... To clarify the difference between open and closed source lets take Android you can go to http://android.googlesource.com and all of Android's code is there and you can modify it and recompile it to do whatever you want it to do... The 3ds will stay closed source because Nintendo has always liked "proprietary" which ends up biting them in the ass a lot (we probably wouldn't have as much rampant piracy if they allowed us to run any userland code and gave us a small SDK or something). Open source means you me or anyone with access to the internet in the world can view, change and then possibly have their changes merged upstream (which means added to the original project basically). Anyways please refrain from talking about things you don't know much about

Yea, bad comparison. I know the official OS is closed. What I meant though was you can just write open source software for the 3DS now with the Homebrew launcher and the correct libraries. You couldn't do that with a fresh out of the box system, of course we'll need the homebrew launcher, which is also an open source software. I think a better example would be an exploited 3DS vs a jailbroken iPhone.

olshrimpeyes

Your question is bad and you should feel bad
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's enough legitimate reasons to want a kernel exploit. Smea does a lot for the community but his anti-piracy stance prevents things like romhacks (so far), dynarec, legitimate backups (I have a substantial collection of imports I'd like to preserve) and eShop spoofing. Competition is a healthy thing to have in any community. I don't think anyone can really say that the majority of big 3ds releases coming from one guy (and his circle of friends) is that healthy for the community. Don't take this as an insult to the guy (it isn't, he's awesome). I'm sure in time a kernel exploit will come for 9.3+, it's just going to be a long wait.
I think most of that is technically possible with just userland exploits, excluding backups of course. If they can get DSP working I'm sure you could get Dynamic Recompilation.

Reactions: fmkid and kiwiis

Death78793

What is this, a first person shooter?
Trophies
XP
Country
I think most of that is technically possible with just userland exploits, excluding backups of course. If they can get DSP working I'm sure you could get Dynamic Recompilation.
Yeah, not to mention that the backups thing is a real conflict for anyone, since it will end up being used for piracy (call it what you will; someone will use it to pirate)
Anyways, let's hope someone helps out with this since I would fancy myself some better emulators on my 9.9 n3DS

Reactions: kiwiis

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country

Hopefully. eShop spoofing would be a big one to have in case Nintendo closes these userland exploits (even if it's only a temporary stop), allowing people to stay on outdated firmware for HBL and still have access to the eShop.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully. eShop spoofing would be a big one to have in case Nintendo closes these userland exploits (even if it's only a temporary stop), allowing people to stay on outdated firmware for HBL and still have access to the eShop.
If we can modify game memory it might be possible. We'll have to see.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: