Homebrew [Discussion] Next Smea release looks like it's gonna be a big one!

kiwiis

キウィイス
Trophies
XP
Country
Bet he's got a kernel exploit he's using to show off some of these things (at least initially before he implements it in Ninjhax through userland)

Rom hacking :O

Vanth88

Private
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought he was ever using cheat codes or it was a glitch that occurred :O
Its good old rom hacking. He says in his latest tweets he probably wont add it in 2.5 (or maybe he will). So you're kind of right it's really just him hacking the game. I hope it leads to ram editing in real time though.

Reactions: ~Poke~

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dont' know ... smea have find a exploit on 9.3+ ?

Assuming you're speaking of a kernel exploit, Smealum and Yellow8 have a kernel exploit, but they're both against piracy. They use it to find out what they can do in userland. "We're against piracy" isn't the only reason though. It could have personal risks if they did so, example, their jobs, even future jobs knowing Smealum is still in college, because simply put, piracy is illegal. A job wouldn't want you around if you're doing illegal deeds, because they could possibly see them as a danger to their company in terms of doing something similar. ESPECIALLY hackers.

Last edited by Selim873,
Reactions: ~Poke~

SomeGamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Assuming you're speaking of a kernel exploit, Smealum and Yellow8 have a kernel exploit, but they're both against piracy. They use it to find out what they can do in userland. "We're against piracy" isn't the only reason though. It could have personal risks if they did so, example, their jobs, even future jobs knowing Smealum is still in college, because simply put, piracy is illegal.
But kernel exploits on their own aren't illegal. They let you shut down your 3DS without pressing the power button. :P

bakurage

Trophies
XP
Country
France
ok, if i know, he's have a kernel exploit, but not exploitable for piracy, rom hacking is possible beaucause smea is ok with this ? :P

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But kernel exploits on their own aren't illegal. They let you shut down your 3DS without pressing the power button. :P

That's not the point. They can be used to do illegal things. You could say "what about emulators in userland," userland exploits simply make the system Open Source. Just like Android.

ok, if i know, he's have a kernel exploit, but not exploitable for piracy, rom hacking is possible beaucause smea is ok with this ? :P

You're not loading a rom from the internet. You're loading custom game files to the RAM itself. No different than how Project M works.

Last edited by Selim873,
Reactions: SomeGamer

bakurage

Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's not the point. They can be used to do illegal things. You could say "what about emulators in userland," userland exploits simply make the system Open Source. Just like Android.

You're not loading a rom from the internet. You're loading custom game files to the RAM itself. No different than how Project M works.
Project M ? But in the screen of smea, dialogues of zelda MM have modified, it's a rom hacking no ?

djbrianz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I honestly think that everyone knows that yellows8 and smea have access to kernel and arm9 and arm11 like srsly how do u think they modified the CPU speed and all that stuff....if somebody could get the permissions that the CPU has (maybe arm9?) We could possibly get full access to the system

Selim873

Nunnayobeesnes
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Project M ? But in the screen of smea, dialogues of zelda MM have modified, it's a rom hacking no ?

You can modify anything in the game using the method I mentioned. Including changing the dialogue and translations. It just writes files to the RAM.

Instead of; DISC/CART -> CPU/RAM/GPU -> OUTPUT (To you)

It would be; DISC/CART -> Riivolution(Whatever Smea is doing) -> CPU/RAM/GPU -> OUTPUT

So basically, the game files will go through the program first rather than straight to the hardware, and if the program has an identical file to what's in the game's media, that will have higher priority. You can mod any game in any way using this method, and it's much more convenient.

Last edited by Selim873,
Reactions: teampleb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: fuckin heavy storm over here