Homebrew Disabling 3DS LED Lights with Homebrew?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Yellows8 attepmted. But he bricked his 3DS (MCU brick) messing with LED pattern values, for RE purposes.
yeah it was said in this thread already, then you said it again a few posts ago, and now you repeat it again, lol

anyway the op just wants to disable right, not do custom actions really

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
if you are on a n3ds, you can click the top corner and click a slider to turn it off. if on an o3ds, there is a switch on the left or right side you can slide to turn it off..
He's not talking about just the wireless though, he also wants to disable the power button light

Reactions: DarkRioru

Null-project

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can disable the yellow light turning off wireless, but as for power charging and the bright blue light that notifies you the system is powered on, you cannot disable those normally.

Is there a way via homebrew to disable these lights to where they are never on? The blue light in particular is bad for my eyes when I play in the dark. Thanks.
Why don't you just put electrical or duck tape where the lights are?

Reactions: TimX24968B

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, this is going to sound incredibly idiotic but is is true...
I had to buy a new 2DS for this reason xD I didn't like the light coming from the top right (Friend notification), so I though opening up the 2DS and cutting the circuit to the light would be a great idea!

Long story short, don't do what I did because you'll end up buying a new DS

guisadop

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
You can brick the MCU firmware by sending a bad LED pattern to it. The MCU handles the i2c communication with the LED, and for some reason if you send a bad format it bricks it. I'm not too sure on the details of why exactly the MCU firmware can't handle it though,
Oh, it makes sense though. Thanks for explaining.

Giodude

GBAtemp's official rock
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
see messing with the LED's, or doing pretty much anything involving the LED's will shut them off. In fact it shuts off every light on the console.

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
I was more interested in the MCU brick, not the lights lol.
I heard this from Dazzozo in a private conversation, but he was referring to something yls8 did and discussed in #3dsdev. You can ask there, but I have no idea how helpful he'll be.

Alternatively, @MarcusD is reversing the MCU, or so I hear. He might have some insight.

Reactions: vb_encryption_vb

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@MarcusD is reversing the MCU, or so I hear. He might have some insight.

Who said that I'm REing the MCU_FIRM? :sad:

I'm only REing CTRAging! I have seen the datasheet for the MCU... I don't hate my brain that much to start REing it :(

Also, I have tested on my old3DS, I didn't manage to brick by repeatedly sending commands, so yellows8 must have had an extremely bad luck or poorly written test program. But please note, I was using ptm:sysm if that makes a difference!

Edit: it's possible to turn the power LED off until the battery state changes. The wifi led flashes on data transfer, so I doubt you can turn it off. 3D LED, same kind of deal, if 3D mode changes, your temporary settings will be overwritten.

Last edited by Sono,

GothicIII

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Can someone explain it in detail?

Why bricks the MCU?
Does the MCU handle the LED controlling and sending random data to it overwrites the MCU firmware?

This is really awkward.
It's like turning the car lamp inside off and the engine breaks...

Last edited by GothicIII,

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Can someone explain it in detail?

Why bricks the MCU?
Does the MCU handle the LED controlling and sending random data to it overwrites the MCU firmware?

This is really awkward.
It's like turning the car lamp inside off and the engine breaks...

Well, the MCU needs a bit of time to process the LED signal, so if you repeatedly start spamming the LED control commands, you might end up sending data while the MCU is still processing, thus turning the command into garbage data, making the MCU freak out, and you know what happens if you execute garbage data... ye

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
Who said that I'm REing the MCU_FIRM? :sad:

I'm only REing CTRAging! I have seen the datasheet for the MCU... I don't hate my brain that much to start REing it :(

Also, I have tested on my old3DS, I didn't manage to brick by repeatedly sending commands, so yellows8 must have had an extremely bad luck or poorly written test program. But please note, I was using ptm:sysm if that makes a difference!

Edit: it's possible to turn the power LED off until the battery state changes. The wifi led flashes on data transfer, so I doubt you can turn it off. 3D LED, same kind of deal, if 3D mode changes, your temporary settings will be overwritten.
Ah, that makes much more sense, when I heard you were reversing the MCU I was impressed :P

Yeah, yls8 was probably just straight up fuzzing against the LED - which is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: KoalaBoy and Sono

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, so one the salesman told him would get him bitches
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    In my experience women like a big shift stick with lots of power.
    Something that really burns rubbers
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Only thing a nice car will get you is a gold digger. What happened to falling in love, no matter if I'm on a bus, or driving a nice car. No offense tho, I do like nice cars.
    +1
    Nothing like tearing ass up on a back road
    BigOnYa I think narcissism has all but killed love
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Psionic Roshambo, I think I can agree on that.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People tend to think look at everything I have gains attention but ends up making them look worse for what it is
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    It would be funny to pick up a girl in a real expensive car, then next date show up in a piece o shit car just to see her reaction. If she was real, it wouldn't matter.
    Everyone is disposable and replaceable, lies and deception are the coin of the realm. I have never felt so alone and so at odds with the world.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't think we should see others as disposable just if they can show any glimps of care about humanity should be forgiven
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, she would leave you inmediately
    +1
    For a time I considered creating a new big bang. Wipe the slate clean and start from scratch....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Your closest friend probably talks negative about you the most
    +1
    I know I talk shit about that Ken guy constantly lol
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah I just had to consile it's a age thing and I can get erect
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Right.. Take a number
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BigOnYa, Binkinator is still around you guys. I just saw him in one of the Discord servers that I'm in.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get more mad when they learn you aren't as dimwitted as they think
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, that guy who was dissappeared?
    My favorite thing about that Ken, if they talk bad about others to you. They doing it to you too.
    Always remember that
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: More or less then they drop you and blame you when you find out