Homebrew Disable filtering when playing upscaled DS games?

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know I'm not the first to ask about this (as there was a recent thread asking the same question, but I can't find the damn thing), but someone in it mentioned that modifying AGB_FIRM would allow for DS games to run upscaled without the blurry filter.

Apologies if my post is vague, I just want to know if it's possible. If anyone could link/find that thread, that'd be great as well.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno, but while searching google for nds rom injection for loadiine tutorial, there was one that mentioned changing the configution.json file inside the contents folder. Apperently at the end of the file (open in text editor) there is a section call render method. It is set to one, you can change it to something higher like 2 for better quality.

There was snapshots comfirming to work. If that helps at all.

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i dunno, but while searching google for nds rom injection for loadiine tutorial, there was one that mentioned changing the configution.json file inside the contents folder. Apperently at the end of the file (open in text editor) there is a section call render method. It is set to one, you can change it to something higher like 2 for better quality.

There was snapshots comfirming to work. If that helps at all.
That's on the Wii U though :/

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's on the Wii U though :/

Yeah, i did say loadiine, though, i dunno how 3ds would work, the games on 3ds are in a file called cia that is installed to the sd card with the system. i dunno if there is a way to extract data like on the wii u games with loadiine everything is extracted data for easy file exlporing, cia are complied together (equal to a zip compressed file) is there a way to extract cia data and explore the contents for a configuration file like wii u loadiine titles?

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, i did say loadiine, though, i dunno how 3ds would work, the games on 3ds are in a file called cia that is installed to the sd card with the system. i dunno if there is a way to extract data like on the wii u games with loadiine everything is extracted data for easy file exlporing, cia are complied together (equal to a zip compressed file) is there a way to extract cia data and explore the contents for a configuration file like wii u loadiine titles?
It's completely different on 3ds, as it has native support. There is not a Cia for ds games. Yes, there's Wario ware as Cia, but it was converted to dsiware. And so there isn't a configuration file.

Reactions: hobbledehoy899

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I dunon if this will help somehow... but maybe it will. if there was eshop nds games for 3ds it may be something to hope for. since regular ds cart games just do what it supposed to. backward compatible

Mazamin

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I dunon if this will help somehow... but maybe it will. if there was eshop nds games for 3ds it may be something to hope for. since regular ds cart games just do what it supposed to. backward compatible
All the ds games released as Cia, are actually dsiwares. So it works along with twl firm. The only configuration that we can change are in twl firm.

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
It's completely different on 3ds, as it has native support. There is not a Cia for ds games. Yes, there's Wario ware as Cia, but it was converted to dsiware. And so there isn't a configuration file.
There is TWLfirm, but I highly doubt it would have a configuration file.

The slight blur is by design. The 3DS's resolution is about 1.5 times the DS's resolution, so normal scaling would look bad.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All the ds games released as Cia, are actually dsiwares. So it works along with twl firm. The only configuration that we can change are in twl firm.

Oh, i understand now. I'm so oblivious today, apologies. So just like it was stated, since ds games run natively in ds mode, not by emulation but by backword compatibiliy, it could just be something in the system itself.... nand, to maybe modify but is a fools errand. Doing any mods to internal system is always risky, so unless virtual console comes to 3ds eshop, is just a waiting game or a bad dream.

D

Deleted User

They're not upscaled, there is no filter. They're blurry because they haven't been upscaled.
They have to be upscaled to fit the entire screen, they just have no filter

EDIT: now i'm wondering if twl_firm can be modified to have an upscale filter... or better yet, actually upscale the resolution like desmume x432r

Last edited by ,

Mister_Keevs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They have to be upscaled to fit the entire screen, they just have no filter

EDIT: now i'm wondering if twl_firm can be modified to have an upscale filter... or better yet, actually upscale the resolution like desmume x432r
Doubt the latter is possible, but the first bit is what I'm trying to figure out

DSoryu

GBA/NDS Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
So I was going to ask this same question, reason of this bump.
Considering there have been new achievements regarding DS hacking and DSi hacking, and ndsbootstrap lately, is this possible in some way?

I mean, to add an upscale filter to TWL_FIRM or something similar.

KoalaBoy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
that would be amazing. most of my favorite DS games look extra ugly on the 3ds (a lot of them rely on pixel-perfect rendering), so some sort of filtering would definitely be welcome

Reactions: DSoryu

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show