Disable filtering when playing upscaled DS games?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Mister_Keevs, May 28, 2016.

1. Mister_Keevs
    OP

Mister_Keevs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    I know I'm not the first to ask about this (as there was a recent thread asking the same question, but I can't find the damn thing), but someone in it mentioned that modifying AGB_FIRM would allow for DS games to run upscaled without the blurry filter.

Apologies if my post is vague, I just want to know if it's possible. If anyone could link/find that thread, that'd be great as well.

2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Definitely possible.

3. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    They're not upscaled, there is no filter. They're blurry because they haven't been upscaled.

hobbledehoy899 likes this.
  4. Mister_Keevs
    OP

Mister_Keevs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    Huh, that's interesting.

Neat. Has anyone been able to pull it off?

5. chaojimbo

chaojimbo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 25, 2015
    United States
    California
    Doesn't holding start or select as you boot up a DS cart run the game at its original resolution?

6. Mister_Keevs
    OP

Mister_Keevs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    It does, but that makes the image smaller. I'm wondering if there's a way to upscale the games to fit the entire 3DS screen without the blurry effect you'd normally get.

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Legend

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    i dunno, but while searching google for nds rom injection for loadiine tutorial, there was one that mentioned changing the configution.json file inside the contents folder. Apperently at the end of the file (open in text editor) there is a section call render method. It is set to one, you can change it to something higher like 2 for better quality.

There was snapshots comfirming to work. If that helps at all.

8. Mister_Keevs
    OP

Mister_Keevs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    That's on the Wii U though :/

9. DrCrygor07

DrCrygor07 Italian Wario Ware bootleg©

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    Yes, because the wii u emulates ds games, the 3ds has native support for them. Anyway, it would be cool to have custom bars, and not the black bars on the sides that we have now.

10. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Yeah, i did say loadiine, though, i dunno how 3ds would work, the games on 3ds are in a file called cia that is installed to the sd card with the system. i dunno if there is a way to extract data like on the wii u games with loadiine everything is extracted data for easy file exlporing, cia are complied together (equal to a zip compressed file) is there a way to extract cia data and explore the contents for a configuration file like wii u loadiine titles?

11. DrCrygor07

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    It's completely different on 3ds, as it has native support. There is not a Cia for ds games. Yes, there's Wario ware as Cia, but it was converted to dsiware. And so there isn't a configuration file.

12. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I dunon if this will help somehow... but maybe it will. if there was eshop nds games for 3ds it may be something to hope for. since regular ds cart games just do what it supposed to. backward compatible

13. DrCrygor07

Sep 4, 2014
    Italy
    All the ds games released as Cia, are actually dsiwares. So it works along with twl firm. The only configuration that we can change are in twl firm.

14. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    There is TWLfirm, but I highly doubt it would have a configuration file.

The slight blur is by design. The 3DS's resolution is about 1.5 times the DS's resolution, so normal scaling would look bad.

15. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Oh, i understand now. I'm so oblivious today, apologies. So just like it was stated, since ds games run natively in ds mode, not by emulation but by backword compatibiliy, it could just be something in the system itself.... nand, to maybe modify but is a fools errand. Doing any mods to internal system is always risky, so unless virtual console comes to 3ds eshop, is just a waiting game or a bad dream.

16. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    They have to be upscaled to fit the entire screen, they just have no filter

EDIT: now i'm wondering if twl_firm can be modified to have an upscale filter... or better yet, actually upscale the resolution like desmume x432r

Last edited by LiveLatios, May 28, 2016
  17. Mister_Keevs
    OP

Mister_Keevs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 8, 2013
    United States
    Doubt the latter is possible, but the first bit is what I'm trying to figure out