Hacking Dios Mios SLIGHT yet BIG problem.

CarlosEduardoPue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Hey guys! Gbatemp is finally back! wooo!
But anyways, i've encountered a problem when trying to run Pal games with Dios Mios
I'm trying to play
Baten Kaitos Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean(PAL)
Skies of Arcadia Legends(PAL)
Both games run, but in black and white. I tried forcing both to NTSC and skies of arcadia runs perfectly that way; however, when i force Baten Kaitos to anything (NTSC or PAL60) i get a colored Dios Mios logo as if it was going to run, and shortly my TV shows no signal. I dont think my wii is freezing because i can reset the wii using the gamecube controller. If i leave the defaults for Baten Kaitos the Dios Mios logo is black and white with the rest of the game in black and white, its rather annoying and i'd like to fix it. If anyone has suggestions, tell me ill try to follow :)

Thanks guys you're all awesome, i'm glad the site is back up! :)

Edit: This is totally unrelated, but is there a way to change the name that USB Loader GX shows? Its odd having 2 games that look exactly the same and have the same name yet are 2 different cds, i want the tittles to at least show which cd is which. And can you edit the little description that shows when you click on it? Thanks

CortalRage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had that issue in the past when I was first learning cMIOS for burning them to discs. I think just some games don't translate over well to the different format. You might have to find a rom/iso from our region

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, the black and white is because that's what a PAL signal looks like on a NTSC only TV. (PAL60 just looks black and white PAL50 depends on your TV if it shows it flickering or not ... or just refuses to show it)

Some games just don't let you force NTSC but depending on which version you have it.

The no signal problem is what happens when the Wii is set to NTSC and the game requests PAL50 anyhow (PAL60 it just interprets as NTSC in that case). When it gets the the PAL50 signal it keeps sending sound but stops sending any video signal. (Some TV's will ignore the sound, though, if there's no video to show.)

- If you have component cables you can try forcing progressive which actually tends to work better than forcing NTSC.
- The later versions (v2.2 and v2.3 at least, I haven't tested v2.4 or v2.1 yet.) don't force NTSC very well. There was a newer, better forcing method added in one of the later 2.0 versions but for some reason it didn't work any more with later versions. The main disadvantage of 2.0 is that it doesn't have the widescreen patch but if you don't need it, you could always try reverting back to v2.0 update 5 which IS able to force NTSC very nicely where other versions don't.

CarlosEduardoPue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Okay, the black and white is because that's what a PAL signal looks like on a NTSC only TV. (PAL60 just looks black and white PAL50 depends on your TV if it shows it flickering or not ... or just refuses to show it)

Some games just don't let you force NTSC but depending on which version you have it.

The no signal problem is what happens when the Wii is set to NTSC and the game requests PAL50 anyhow (PAL60 it just interprets as NTSC in that case). When it gets the the PAL50 signal it keeps sending sound but stops sending any video signal. (Some TV's will ignore the sound, though, if there's no video to show.)

- If you have component cables you can try forcing progressive which actually tends to work better than forcing NTSC.
- The later versions (v2.2 and v2.3 at least, I haven't tested v2.4 or v2.1 yet.) don't force NTSC very well. There was a newer, better forcing method added in one of the later 2.0 versions but for some reason it didn't work any more with later versions. The main disadvantage of 2.0 is that it doesn't have the widescreen patch but if you don't need it, you could always try reverting back to v2.0 update 5 which IS able to force NTSC very nicely where other versions don't.

I actually have that version of DM and no component cables, so i guess im toasted?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The developer uses component cables and has no means of testing composite. In a way, this is your TV's fault - if it accepted PAL signal, the games would look just dandy.

Your only options are switching to component cables, using a different TV or acquiring NTSC dumps of the forementioned games.

CarlosEduardoPue

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
The developer uses component cables and has no means of testing composite. In a way, this is your TV's fault - if it accepted PAL signal, the games would look just dandy.

Your only options are switching to component cables, using a different TV or acquiring NTSC dumps of the forementioned games.

Yeah i thought it was my tv but i was hopong there was a solution
Well thanks i appreciate ot

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
As for the duplicated games in USBLoaderGX, it's a known issue and I didn't took time to fix it yet.
both titles/channels will launch the exact same disc (the first encountered iso path is listed twice instead of listing both paths).

The temporary fix for DIOS MIOS is to dump only the disc you want to play, then when you need to switch delete one and dump the second disc. (or use Wiixplorer to move the folder so it's not listed in the loader).
Dios Mios doesn't allow disc swapping in-game so it doesn't benefit to have both dumped at the same time.

if you use Devolution, place the disc2 in /games/gamename.iso
GX will list only disc1 but devolution will see both.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Yeah, unfortunately even v2.0 update 5 couldn't force NTSC on some games. It resulted in a flickering color screen for some titles.

Another thing to try, I remember when installing v2.0 update 5 I actually had to un-install the WAD before installing it to get that feature to work. It was like some of the older version was still left behind causing problems.

One games that supported it, the NORMAL way to get to 60hz was to hold down the (B) button while the game was starting. That would then bring up a screen asking if you wanted to switch to 60hz. You would then either press (A) to select it, wait until it selected itself, or press left or right once to move from "no" to "yes" and then press the (A) button. You could always try some of those and see if it switches you over to NTSC correctly from the no-signal state ... or just switches you over to a playable PAL60 instead of the flickering PAL50 even if it's still in black and white.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah been there had that no fun