Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtreme2damax

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So there is only modification of the virtual nand involve that will be loaded with Sneek, so no chance of bricking our Wii's?

Well that's cool if that's the case, although I am capable of following written guides so I doubt I would have messed up in modifying the actual Wii was involved with this, besides the normal softmodding of course.

I was going to do this, however it seems the Dios Mios page is down to the public, I tried to go to the page but kept getting 403 errors stating I was forbidden to access the page.

:Edit: I didn't see the "drama" that ensued earlier in the thread, so that's what happened. I suppose and no way to run Gamecube games from a USB HDD on a softmodded Wii. That's too bad and a damn shame, hopefully they might figure it out someday since we have a broken drive.
frown.gif

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
Xtreme2damax said:
So there is only modification of the virtual nand involve that will be loaded with Sneek, so no chance of bricking our Wii's?

Well that's cool if that's the case, although I am capable of following written guides so I doubt I would have messed up in modifying the actual Wii was involved with this, besides the normal softmodding of course.

I was going to do this, however it seems the Dios Mios page is down to the public, I tried to go to the page but kept getting 403 errors stating I was forbidden to access the page.

:Edit: I didn't see the "drama" that ensued earlier in the thread, so that's what happened. I suppose and no way to run Gamecube games from a USB HDD on a softmodded Wii. That's too bad and a damn shame, hopefully they might figure it out someday since we have a broken drive.
frown.gif

Well, SD-Boot 1.0 will support gamecube USB loading, though you will have to buy a memory card to USB adapter (and either buy a separate drive or keep switching the drive between the adapter and the Wii's USB slots). You could also use a SD Gecko but I believe those are limited to 2GB due to a lack of SDHC support. I would bet emu_kidid is looking to see if there is anything in DIOS-MIOS that would help improve SD-Boot, so the project might not be a total waste. In fact, it might be possible to modify DIOS-MIOS to use that gamecube USB adapter since it does not require mem2 access.

Gangboy

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
nl255 said:
though you will have to buy a memory card to USB adapter
But this USB Adapter, is that already available (I know there save game cards with USB on them for transferring saves)?
smile.gif

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
nl255 said:
Well, SD-Boot 1.0 will support gamecube USB loading, though you will have to buy a memory card to USB adapter (and either buy a separate drive or keep switching the drive between the adapter and the Wii's USB slots). You could also use a SD Gecko but I believe those are limited to 2GB due to a lack of SDHC support. I would bet emu_kidid is looking to see if there is anything in DIOS-MIOS that would help improve SD-Boot, so the project might not be a total waste. In fact, it might be possible to modify DIOS-MIOS to use that gamecube USB adapter since it does not require mem2 access.
I doubt dios-mios can bring anything new to SD-Boot. dios-mios is mostly ARM code, while SD-Boot is PowerPC code. Also reading crediar's code is a head ache. the way hi writes code is total mess. Probably he doesn't know what is functions for, that's why you can find the same function and even whole C file up to 4 times in sneek. It's really better to write by yourself than use anything from crediar. May be just to check some moments and concept.
Actually, there are already some GC DVD backup loaders using heavy patches to make DVD-R work on non-chiped Wii. I believe WiiPower's NeoGamma already have most patches to convert it into SD-Boot. More work will be required to patch-out disk check. Looking to problem SD-Boot has it is exactly in this part.
Another problem is where to place SD-code in memory. I didn't explore GC mode. If wii gives more MEM2 for ARAM emulation than real GC has, then code can be placed in spare ARAM not used by GC games. If no extra RAM for GC provided by Wii, then it will be pretty hard to do..
Probably, front SD controller also requires MEM2 for DMA (have to check!) and thus will be impossible to use.. But may be it's possible to use it in PIO mode. It will be slower than DMA but not slower than SD-Gecko.

nl255

Trophies
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
nl255 said:
I doubt dios-mios can bring anything new to SD-Boot. dios-mios is mostly ARM code, while SD-Boot is PowerPC code. Also reading crediar's code is a head ache. the way hi writes code is total mess. Probably he doesn't know what is functions for, that's why you can find the same function and even whole C file up to 4 times in sneek. It's really better to write by yourself than use anything from crediar. May be just to check some moments and concept.
Actually, there are already some GC DVD backup loaders using heavy patches to make DVD-R work on non-chiped Wii. I believe WiiPower's NeoGamma already have most patches to convert it into SD-Boot. More work will be required to patch-out disk check. Looking to problem SD-Boot has it is exactly in this part.
Another problem is where to place SD-code in memory. I didn't explore GC mode. If wii gives more MEM2 for ARAM emulation than real GC has, then code can be placed in spare ARAM not used by GC games. If no extra RAM for GC provided by Wii, then it will be pretty hard to do..
Probably, front SD controller also requires MEM2 for DMA (have to check!) and thus will be impossible to use.. But may be it's possible to use it in PIO mode. It will be slower than DMA but not slower than SD-Gecko.

Since you have taken a look at DIOS-MIOS, what do you think of the possibility of fixing the ARAM issue by patching ARAM access to use mem2 (in memory, just like the DVD patching) rather than converting mem2 into ARAM like GC mode normally does? That way, you wouldn't lose access to mem2 from the ARM side.

As for where SD-Boot puts the code, I assume it puts it in unused parts of the gamecube's memory just like a Gameshark does. Remember, SD Boot works on a real Gamecube as well (and so will 1.0, which will include USB loading via a memory card to USB adapter). Have you looked at existing versions of SD-Boot (the latest is 0.4, I think) to see how they do it?

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
Also reading crediar's code is a head ache. the way hi writes code is total mess. Probably he doesn't know what is functions for, that's why you can find the same function and even whole C file up to 4 times in sneek. It's really better to write by yourself than use anything from crediar.
Hahaha, this coming from the guy who "borrowed" crediar's SNEEK code and refused to release his own source.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
sorgelig said:
Also reading crediar's code is a head ache. the way hi writes code is total mess. Probably he doesn't know what is functions for, that's why you can find the same function and even whole C file up to 4 times in sneek. It's really better to write by yourself than use anything from crediar.

what about you give us some examples?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
nl255 said:
You could also use a SD Gecko but I believe those are limited to 2GB due to a lack of SDHC support.
Nah, SDgecko works perfectly fine with SDHC carts, even the latest SD-Boot (v0.4 RC4) supports SDHC carts.

nl255 said:
I would bet emu_kidid is looking to see if there is anything in DIOS-MIOS that would help improve SD-Boot, so the project might not be a total waste. In fact, it might be possible to modify DIOS-MIOS to use that gamecube USB adapter since it does not require mem2 access.
I doubt that, emu_kidid has barely spare time and already a lot of another projects (SD-Boot, Homebrew HDD adapter, Wii64, WiiSX, etc..)

QUOTE(Gangboy @ Dec 1 2010, 09:30 AM)
But this USB Adapter, is that already available (I know there save game cards with USB on them for transferring saves)?
smile.gif

Yes this adapter will be available soon. For further information visit gc-forever.com

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
sorgelig said:
It's really better to write by yourself than use anything from crediar.

Then write your own Nand emu and you can link your little loader back on wode forum providing you don't link parts of Bootmii, Datels stuff or anything else that shouldn't be there.
Funny how you've been such a pain in the ass over it when you could have just wrote your own and saved the hassle.

Who said its easier to be destructive than constructive?
rolleyes.gif

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WiiBricker said:
tueidj said:
Hahaha, this coming from the guy who "borrowed" crediar's SNEEK code and refused to release his own source.
Hahaha, this coming from the guy who "borrowed" nitrotux/CaitSith2 Wii Disc Dumper code and refused to release his own source.
That wasn't GPL code and I don't go around saying nitrotux/CaitSith2 are shit coders. Besides I offered you the source code on the condition that you stop spreading incorrect lies and you refused.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

sorgelig

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
Wiisel said:
Then write your own Nand emu and you can link your little loader back on wode forum providing you don't link parts of Bootmii, Datels stuff or anything else that shouldn't be there.
Funny how you've been such a pain in the ass over it when you could have just wrote your own and saved the hassle.

Are u sure i'm using sneek and didn't rewrite whole code from ground? Did you check by yourself that i'm using sneek code or just repeat others like monkey?
I just did the same as crediar. The only difference, he copied algorithm of Nintendo, by looking binaries, while i've analyzed both binaries and sneek code.
Sneek has 2 versions: SD version and USB version because there is no space for 2 drivers, while my NANDEmu 2-in-1 in single binary. My DI module is completely different.
There are other differences, but it's in vain to prove something to monkey who just repeat others without understanding the matter. There are 2 cIOS versions: waninkoko's and Hermes'. Both are legal here and nobody call one as copy of another.
Since both sneek and nandemu basically doing the same job there are no much things can be done to make them look different. Just one can do emulation better (my NANDEmu) than another (SNEEK).

btw, i've never used bootmii code. my NANDEmu loader (IOS) is based on the same code as NANDEmu itself (you may see size of IOS code and compare to size of bootmii or you can compare content if you know how to do it
wink.gif
) unlike SNEEK which uses modified bootmii as a loader.

P.S.: I don't remember that Waninkoko's cIOS has been prohibited due to closed source nature.

sk0ld

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're biting at the hand that's been feeding you, sorg.
'pour.garbage' suits you to a t, btw. Nice job on that.

Wiisel

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive tried talking to you to resolve it several times and there's been no help on your part I may be wrong to remove it ,I may be not
Action replay is still an issue as are ios wads unless you wrote an ios and AR from scratch ?
If you dropped the attitude and tried to work with me rather than shove your head further up your ass this could have been resolved.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

NEO117

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
I think this would be a good moment to close the topic. There's nothing else to see here.

btw I can't wait to use your NAND loader Sorg
smile.gif

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
No need to have quite brilliants mind having a fight each other, really.

We as users of YOUR DEVS, no matter where they come from, are always well received.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
tueidj said:
Still doesn't change the fact that you're criticizing crediar's code while not being willing to show your own. There's a name for people like that: coward.
Funny how that description perfectly fits to you Riivolution guys. You're all not willing to share your source codes and keep criticizing waninkokos and hermes cIOS codes. You're cowards because you fear, that your apps can be used with usb loaders once you release your source codes, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1