gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's too bad that WiiBackupManager development seems to have stopped, just shy of adding GCN support.
Now that the DiscEx and GCReEx formats seem to have stabilized, would have been a good moment to add them to WBM.

Reactions: 2 people

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
It's too bad that WiiBackupManager development seems to have stopped, just shy of adding GCN support.
Now that the DiscEx and GCReEx formats seem to have stabilized, would have been a good moment to add them to WBM.
Actually, the above linked GCIT was made to test functionality to be included in Wii Backup Manager so it's supposedly still in progress (although slow progress or just a lot to do to get there) unless you know something that I don't.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, the above linked GCIT was made to test functionality to be included in Wii Backup Manager so it's supposedly still in progress (although slow progress or just a lot to do to get there) unless you know something that I don't.
Nah, I was help fig2k out by doing some tests with that tool but he just stopped posting and sending PM one day and has not been heard off since. I hope he is personally OK. If and when he does decide to return, he should probably check to see that his output matches that of DMTools. The good thing with WBFS is that the format is pretty much finished, whereas the GCN stuff is still evolving.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Nah, I was help fig2k out by doing some tests with that tool but he just stopped posting and sending PM one day and has not been heard off since. I hope he is personally OK. If and when he does decide to return, he should probably check to see that his output matches that of DMTools. The good thing with WBFS is that the format is pretty much finished, whereas the GCN stuff is still evolving.
Important to know.
Anyway, I know it was stated that GCIT preserved the file order which I was never sure if DMTools did (I guess I could always just checksum the output of both and find out.) and while I'm sure that helps in compatibility for some games I'm also not sure if file order is important for Devolution verification or not but it would be nice if there was one tool that could do everything (Like WiiBackupManager), including re-inflating shrunken images so they could be used with Devolution.

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Important to know.
Anyway, I know it was stated that GCIT preserved the file order which I was never sure if DMTools did (I guess I could always just checksum the output of both and find out.) and while I'm sure that helps in compatibility for some games I'm also not sure if file order is important for Devolution verification or not but it would be nice if there was one tool that could do everything (Like WiiBackupManager), including re-inflating shrunken images so they could be used with Devolution.
Well, the output of GCReEx 0.3 does not match that of the previous version exactly. I can't find the changelog now but he did something to the order of the files between those two versions. This broke Soul Calibur II and DDR Mario Mix for me, but seems to work just fine for others, so I use the old GCReEx for those games. I don't know if the GCReEx functionality in DMTools was updated from 0.3 changing the output again, or if it using the same 0.3 version because my Wii staging computer is on WinXP and the tool is 64-bit.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crediar responded a tweet I sent him about the improved widescreen forcing.

He said, "Depends on how much work it is to add and how well it works.". Well thats great news that it's being looked into it.
In the description of Extrems youtube video of the improved widescreen hack he had stated that "More effort went into this video than the patch itself."

So it's looking much more pausable that i'll be in the next release of DM and DML.

Reactions: 1 person

Qetzlcoatl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
my "DM incompatible HDD" has 4kb sectors instead of more common 512b.
May be this is a root of all incompatibilities?

Yes! I was right!
DiosMios is hardcoded to 512-bytes sector size disks.
Look at ffconf.h at _MAX_SS definition.
Still unsure is it done because of bad impact of 4096-byte option on memory usage or by wrong assumption that all drives has 512-bytes sectors.
I think that most "incompatible" HDDs are "modern enough" and has 4kb sectors.
Can somebody compile DiosMios with _MAX_SS set to 4096? I will test it with my 4kb drive.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Still unsure is it done because of bad impact of 4096-byte option on memory usage or by wrong assumption that all drives has 512-bytes sectors.
Just a guess . . .
It may have been to limit memory usage by avoiding inclusion of sector size detection code (I loads a whole cluster into memory at a time so individual sector size shouldn't directly influence memory usage.)
(I think others have mentioned other little fixes like the first partition only limitation that are hard coded and while it potentially being a simple fix there's VERY limited memory to deal with for code and EVERYTHING possible is trimmed out)

Don't quite know enough about how to compile this either but it would be interesting to see if hard coding it that way would make a 4k specific version (that wouldn't work with traditional 512b sector drives) along with the traditional version.

Now that I think of it, though, having the partition number and, possibly, the sector size passed in with the options might not be that bad of an idea since it would eliminate extra memory needed for detection code (Although preferably waiting and adding several new options at once to minimize the compatibility issues there were with v2.2) Also, passing the sector of a frag list file (similar to what was being considered for Devolution) for DiscEX format games, at least, could add compatibility to other file systems like NTFS but I'm sure that would require a bit more of a rewrite than the previous ideas.

/rant

Qetzlcoatl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
It may have been to limit memory usage by avoiding inclusion of sector size detection code

I've examined code more.
Look like there are no specific "sector size detection code" at all and only difference between "512b-only" and "any sector size" filesystems is a length of FATFS structure. And difference is of type WORD, i.e. 2 bytes in length.
So this 2 bytes are root of all "HDD incompatibilites".
Does anybody here has all needed tools and enough "magic" to execute 'make' proper way against config with _MAX_SS set to 4096?
Just to compare sizes of 512b-hardcoded .wad and "multisized" .wad, for example.

marcioap1

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys...
I want to install Dios Mios to play GameCube games through Wiiflow and, in order to do that, I formatted my HDD to FAT32 with 32k cluster size with sucess. At the moment I have a cMIOS installed which is version 65535. My question is: wii I be able to install Dios Mios 2.3 v10? I'm asking because of the lower number version. Also, what IOS should I choose when using Wad Manager 1.7 to do this? Usually I use IOS 249 for wiiware games, but I don't know if there is a diference for a MIOS file.
Thanks in advance!

themanuel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys...
I want to install Dios Mios to play GameCube games through Wiiflow and, in order to do that, I formatted my HDD to FAT32 with 32k cluster size with sucess. At the moment I have a cMIOS installed which is version 65535. My question is: wii I be able to install Dios Mios 2.3 v10? I'm asking because of the lower number version. Also, what IOS should I choose when using Wad Manager 1.7 to do this? Usually I use IOS 249 for wiiware games, but I don't know if there is a diference for a MIOS file.
Thanks in advance!
The version number only fools Nintendo's update installers, WAD Manager will not care about what version you have and will simply install DM over youur cMIOS.
I always install everything with 249 in WAD Manager, which at the moment is d2x-v7beta49-base56. I think any recent d2x will be fine. I've never had an issue with that.
Good luck!

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I've examined code more.
Look like there are no specific "sector size detection code" at all and only difference between "512b-only" and "any sector size" filesystems is a length of FATFS structure. And difference is of type WORD, i.e. 2 bytes in length.
So this 2 bytes are root of all "HDD incompatibilites".
Does anybody here has all needed tools and enough "magic" to execute 'make' proper way against config with _MAX_SS set to 4096?
Just to compare sizes of 512b-hardcoded .wad and "multisized" .wad, for example.
All I was saying is that hard coding it to 4096 instead of 512 might make it try to read 4096 bytes out of every sector it reads from every drive. That way it might work fine with newer 4k sector drives but it might get an error if it tries to keep reading past the end of a 512b sector since it doesn't know to stop at 512 anymore. If this is the case, it wouldn't be a "512b-only" vs a "multisized" version but a "512b-only" version vs a "4k only" version.

In that case, in order to really make it a "multisized" version it would need some extra code to help it choose which value to set instead of just a hardcoded value. I wouldn't think it would make that big of a size difference once compiled but the only way to find out, yes, would be writing the code up and compiling it.

Also, haven't looked at the code that much but just from your mentioning it, WORD might just be the cluster size. That's the first thing I can think of that would it into a 2-byte value since the maximum supported is 32k for DM and 64k for DML.

Anyway, there are other issues that can cause compatibility problems but this one, at lease, does seem to be a simple fix on paper.
Hey guys...
Thanks in advance!
249 shouldn't have too much trouble with ignoring version numbers. If it does give you a problem, I know 249 is also pretty good about being able to UN-install and that will wipe out the MIOS no matter which cMIOS, MIOS, DM, DML, or QuadForce WAD you use to un-install with. You can then install the new version, no problem.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys...
Thanks in advance!
The version number only fools Nintendo's update installers, WAD Manager will not care about what version you have and will simply install DM over youur cMIOS.
I always install everything with 249 in WAD Manager, which at the moment is d2x-v7beta49-base56. I think any recent d2x will be fine. I've never had an issue with that.
Good luck!
You will need either a cIOS or AHBPROT disabled if you want to install a higher version number though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol