Hacking Dios Mios Lite

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just uploaded my personal DML installer as an alternative way to install DML. It still requires to use FixELF(or some batch script that uses FixELF...), and there's no support. If it doesn't work for somebody, it does not work for him/her.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
Haha wow. I wonder if crediar knew about WiiPower asking XFlak for DML support in ModMii. I understand crediar's position in this, not wanting his software to be distributed to channels that make money off of it (that's also why he didn't like FIX94 uploading to Mediafire) and don't see anything wrong with it. After all, DML has taken a lot of work and is an amazing piece of software (the best Wii software in ages, even).

However, I think it's in very poor taste that WiiPower ceased contact with XFlak and pretty much ignored him, even after he asked XFlak for DML support in the first place.
From my understanding, crediar sold DML, and then almost all of it went GPL. How can crediars position really have any weight on what the current dev team chooses?

Well, because crediar is the current dev team, along with some contributions from WiiPower. He's the team leader and like 90% of the code is his. You do realize that crediar went back to developing
DML and is responsible for its current state, right?
So are you basically saying that crediar ended up just selling DML to someone and then came back and took it all over again. That sounds like a pretty raw deal IMHO.
He ended up pretty much just got someone to pay him enough to open source it and him keep control of it, although that may not have been the intention, that is the end result.
It kinda sounds to me like the person who bought DML kinda got scammed although it was his choice to GPL it.

Reactions: 1 person

G0dLiKe

who needs a title ;)
OP
Trophies
Website
db.tt
XP
Country
United States
I just uploaded my personal DML installer as an alternative way to install DML. It still requires to use FixELF(or some batch script that uses FixELF...), and there's no support. If it doesn't work for somebody, it does not work for him/her.

I made it featured so ppl can see it from frontpage of dml- googlecode page. thx.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It kinda sounds to me like the person who bought DML kinda got scammed although it was his choice to GPL it.

How did he get scammed? He paid for the source and crediar delivered it. Sure crediar decided to continue development, but he has the right to do so since as you said, the new owner GPL'd it. And from what I understand Godlike already got his money he paid back via donations. So I don't see any issues with this matter.

LWares87

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Talk about a bad sense of deja vu... :/

I've serious had and heard enough about "DML-Gate" and what exactly happened! Haven't we been over this countless times already?

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Nice. I made a (simple) icon for it. I made it for me, but if you want to use it feel free:

It's pretty simple and a bit empty, but I just wanted something to fill in the blank space on the HBC, lol.

Reactions: 1 person

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Joostin, have you thought of adding a SD Card with the NGC Logo on it for one of the O's?
I thought about it, but I'm waiting to see if WiiPower is interested in using it. I originally made it for myself to fill in the empty space (because I'm weird) so I decided not to put all the usual work into it and just give a title with a reflection and sheen.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You don't have to be a lawyer to understand what your rights are. You said that Xflak may not have the right to make money off a tool that downloads copyright content. If you make such a claim you have to understand the license of the tool first. That's why I brought GPL up, because ModMii is GPL and therefore Xflak and anyone else can sell the heck out of it if they wants.

"Just because you can get stuff off NUS, doesn't necessarily make it legal too"

Of course it is. Lets check the facts:

1) NUS Downloader is GPL?
- Check.

2) Is the copyright content in question freely distributed?
- Check.

Seriously, if you claim that downloading Nintendos stuff off their servers with third-party tools may be illegal then you can also claim that the homebrew browser may be illegal as well because it also downloads copyrighted homebrew.
The difference is that I am fairly sure developers of homebrew available through the HBB have allowed it to be, or would certainly be OK with it if asked. Nintendo have certainly not been asked if it is OK to download their copyrighted content in this manner, and if they were, I am fairly sure they wouldn't be overly ecstatic about it. The copyright holder has more rights over the content than you or I. It's not about the fact that a tool downloads copyrighted content, it's about permission to do so. Which in this case is not there. But it seems you are reluctant to accept the truth of the matter, so I'll leave it here.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
The thing is, it is no secret that people are downloading things from Nintendo's servers. If they wanted to they could make it so people can only get the latest versions of files, but instead they still provide older versions for some unknown reason.
Although this does not negate the fact that they are copyrighted files, it just goes to show that Nintendo must not give that much of a shit about it.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The difference is that I am fairly sure developers of homebrew available through the HBB have allowed it to be, or would certainly be OK with it if asked. Nintendo have certainly not been asked if it is OK to download their copyrighted content in this manner, and if they were, I am fairly sure they wouldn't be overly ecstatic about it. The copyright holder has more rights over the content than you or I. It's not about the fact that a tool downloads copyrighted content, it's about permission to do so. Which in this case is not there. But it seems you are reluctant to accept the truth of the matter, so I'll leave it here.
You realize that many many many Wii tools download files from NUS, not just ModMii right? Even the official sneek installer downloads files from NUS, and so do other tools that run on the Wii itself (like dop-mii). So why are you singling out ModMii for downloading files from NUS (not in the quoted post but one of your earlier ones)? Even IOS58 Installer on WiiBrew downloads files from NUS and they have strict rules against apps using cIOSs and other things like that.

If you want to open that can of worms, you are basically trying to point out flaws in many many many apps, not just ModMii. If you decide to open up this topic of conversation again, I suggest you do it in a new thread (this one has been derailed enough) and also make sure it's not directed solely at ModMii but at ALL apps that download files from NUS.

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I know, I never (intentionally) singled out ModMii, other than pointing out that it is (I think) the only one of these tools that makes money from doing this (which from what I know of copyright laws, is a big deal in terms of copyright stuff). I apologize if you took offence at what I was saying, I was just trying to explain the "other side" of the argument as most people here seemed unable to see their point of view. This was also before I learnt of how the DML team treated you, which I think was quite rude and unfair. Again, sorry if I offended.

EDIT: And there is really no point me opening a thread about this, because as I said before, I am not a lawyer, and I doubt there are any/many here, so it would just be a bunch of uninformed idiots (including myself in that) arguing about stuff they don't know about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y