Hacking Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth Hacker's Memory - Japanese version in English

ofthriceandmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Phew, okay, so finally done with that 1 last side quest.
So, that just leaves some revising, the documentation, and there are a couple menu graphics I'd like to check look fine in-game.

So, that means end of September most likely, unless something big comes up.

However, there is one thing I feel the need to explain:

The DigiLine messages are notorious for having a spotty translation.
Unfortunately, the 2 files that store these messages are a gigantic confusing mess.
It was basically impossible for me to tell which response matched up to which message from a NPC, which NPCs were sending the messages, which messages are part of the same group of responses, and the context (the parts of the storyline) the messages are sent in reference to. It's all a random jumble.

And besides all of that, the DigiLine has the tightest space restrictions in the whole games, making expanding the dialogue not really feasible for the most part in cases where it was cut down by the official translators, and not really possible if I don't know the context of almost all of the DigiLine text. And unlike the story itself, which has many lets plays on YouTube I could use for reference as to what lines of dialogue show up where, that was not the case in terms of the DigiLine text.

So, I only revised them for any naming changes, terminology, bad word choice, grammar, etc. I'm very sorry, but there really wasn't much I could do.

On the other hand though, the DigiLine quiz questions were formatted in a consistent and easy to understand way, so these were completely retranslated.

But the famous issue with the DigiLine quizzes where the player is, on very rare occasions, told their answer is wrong when it's right, and vice versa, is not a translation error. Which means it must be a bug with the game itself, and there's nothing I can do to fix that.

Howchie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry if I'm being stupid , but didn't this get an an asia english release - or is this a different game?
The Japanese edition was more feature-rich, specifically (I think) the older game got a bunch of new Digimon etc. backported which we never got.

HxRaider

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
And besides all of that, the DigiLine has the tightest space restrictions in the whole games, making expanding the dialogue not really feasible for the most part in cases where it was cut down by the official translators, and not really possible if I don't know the context of almost all of the DigiLine text. And unlike the story itself, which has many lets plays on YouTube I could use for reference as to what lines of dialogue show up where, that was not the case in terms of the DigiLine text.
I think it was okay because Digiline mainly was only for trivia things and CAM increase, so it won't impact the gameplay that hard, I'd rather have the patch released than stuck in something that has little to no impact on the game and its story

asia english release - or is this a different game?
This is a different version that has anime theme songs and the complete version for VITA,
The only complete version available in EN, with no anime theme songs, is on Switch and PC/STEAM, while PS has the initial version where the game is divided into two parts, Original Cybersleuth, and Hacker's Memory.

Last edited by HxRaider,

RealYoti

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
But the famous issue with the DigiLine quizzes where the player is, on very rare occasions, told their answer is wrong when it's right, and vice versa, is not a translation error. Which means it must be a bug with the game itself, and there's nothing I can do to fix that.
I was thinking that's they are always wrong and you can just swap text lines.

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it was okay because Digiline mainly was only for trivia things and CAM increase, so it won't impact the gameplay that hard, I'd rather have the patch released than stuck in something that has little to no impact on the game and its story

This is a different version that has anime theme songs and the complete version for VITA,
The only complete version available in EN, with no anime theme songs, is on Switch and PC/STEAM, while PS has the initial version where the game is divided into two parts, Original Cybersleuth, and Hacker's Memory.
also u cant buy cyber Sleuth digitally on PS consoles anymore. got delisted for unknown reasons. Hackers Memory is still available tho

ofthriceandmen

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was thinking that's they are always wrong and you can just swap text lines.
That's not the case.
The trivia is laid out very uniformly in both languages in terms of where the right and wrong answers are.
And it's an incredibly rare thing.
I played both games when they originally came out for about 200 hours each, did the quizzes every time they popped up, and never encountered the problem.
I'm not saying it didn't happen, I've seen screenshots of it others have posted online.
But it's not the big widespread problem people may have heard it is.
What I am saying it's a very minor thing that can't be fixed, and anyway it's really nothing to worry about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW7LwaU1xMw