Hacking Digimon Adventure [PSP]

silverwolf689

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
nice job with the dub trial, KazoWar (and well to SuperSZ for figuring out how)
Well this should make people happy they've got options now.

Hehe If people wanted to they could now put in EVO from Tamers or any other track too. Although I don't know why they'd want to.

Even though I grew up with the dub, after being exposed to the original japanese version, I prefer the original OST so much more.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
We already said it was illegal, you don't listen then it's your problem...

Translation patches are made from purely "our" work, there's nothing from the game in it, that's why it is barely legal, because it only contains what we did
sure it changes the games, but it's not us who're going to change everyone's iso so...
And I've already shown that here: http://www.pspgen.com/undub-patch-dissidia-final-fantasy-telechargement-189567.html
SephiZack didn't made a PATCH for the undub version, but rather a program to export from the japanese iso to the english one.
Why ? Because it DOESN'T contains any copyrighted material !

Fansub (of anime for example) just leave the anime right when it got copyrighted, why ? because it's illegal then !

Also, not all Redubs are licensed material. Fandubs are technically redubs too.
Lastly, we're not technically the "Rom Hacking" community. Since we don't mess with ROMs. We mess with Game Images, so we should be the PSP Translation Community.
Yeah, but fandub's patch does not contain copyrighted material, but their own voice, so No, it's not the same thing.
And that's just playing with word here, Iso/Rom that's the same thing... Or you can say Isohacking but that's just silly.

But as Romsstar stated, you're just too close to a lawsuit, because if anyone from Namco Bandai America sees this, you're in for a lawsuit, and we would have warned you.

What the romhacking community do is modifying existent software with their own data, importing another one (copyrighted) is another thing.
Or you can do something like SephiZack made, and you'll be out of trouble, but I doubt it's possible so, your problem.

Edit: Talking about Fandub, from Wikipedia:
Because fandubs typically use copyrighted material, fandubs face the same copyright implications as fansubs but on a different scale. There have been cases when popular fandubs, such as Yu-Gi-Oh! the Abridged series, Dragon Ball Z Abridged, and Sailor Moon Abridged are tagged by the Japanese production company for copyright use of their material(usually on YouTube). These productions are usually later re-uploaded to a new channel, and are sometimes tagged again.

Edit2:
A popular belief in the fan translation community is that distributing only a binary patch, which must be applied to the full, original game, is legal. The reasoning is that the patch only contains the new data and directives for where it is to be placed, and does not have the original copyrighted material included in any form, and therefore it is useless unless the user applies it to a (copyrighted) ROM, the acquisition and legality of which they are left completely accountable for. This belief is untested in court. Regardless, the patch must still contain a translated script that is derived from the copyrighted script of the original, but this anti-software piracy attitude by the fan translation community may have convinced copyright holders to, by and large, turn a blind eye.

Reactions: Romsstar

silverwolf689

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So in the last couple of days, there have been a couple of developments, Dub patch possibilities, Menu/Battle/Attack Name patch Developments, Graphical/Font Developments, etc. I was wondering if anybody is tinkering around with the story dialogues. Simple Hex editing wouldn't work there, and even if you could fit shortened words in there, there's also the issue of the english text being too wide to fit in the text box.

Roxas75

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, I trying to translate to spanish, but I need some special characters. So anyone can tell me what is the file (IDXXXXX) that have the image of characters for add them?

Thanks and sorry for my english.
That's a thing i'm interessed too, and, for now, i didn't find out anything.
As for the eboot, good luck guys, it's hard ;)

I started the story, but i cannot promise it will be finished. I was thinking to translate the special episodes and the movies with priority.

And i agree with StorMyu...

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
a few things and questions:

1)The program Xdelta creates patches by comparing the differences between the original ISO and the modded one. Let's say someone redubs the game in another language and then makes a patch. ... that would be an "ilegal patch" ? or all the patches are in that "gray area" ?.

2) Then fandubs would also be ilegal. Why? You own your voice, but not the lyrics or melody (in case the fandub is for the songs with voices, not the dialogues). If I decide to upload to youtube a version of me singing "brave heart", I would need the karaoke version as a base and I would have modified it with my voice; or if I decide to improvise while I'm singing: I would be breaking the law by modifiyng copyrighted material and would be in jail. Therefore, fandubs are all ilegal and any person who shows tribute to their copyrighted material (tv series / movie etc) would be in jail. I'm kinda exagerating with all this, but in theory it's true.

3) Ok, let's say that a redub, translation patch and pretty much anything that means "another language in the game" are on the same level of ilegal and Bandai discovers this page, the patches, everything. At the same time, more people discovers that the game can be patched into english and downloads it but at the same time, they import the game (although they'll play the modified game in english). Why would they buy the game if they already have it? Because that's a thing a lot of people do, they show support to the company. If those gamers wouldn't be able to play the game in a understandable language for them, they would have probably not bought the game.
So: now Bandai has 2 options:
a) leave things as they are, making thousands and thousands of dollars for something they didn't even work for (the translation) and probably be grateful to the ones who did it because they would have wanted to do it but the economy didn't let it happen (let's be real: as they said, the PSP is dead in pretty much everywhere except Japan, and they would have spent money that wouldn't recover if they translated the game for a US release)
b) Be a bitch and lawsuit the person who made a patch, and probably just earn a very very few thousand dollars at maximum, and ruins someone's life (which probably would make the company look bad and lower the value of their stocks)

Now, imagine yourself as a company, and take into account that all you care is the money. What would you choose, a) or b) ? I know that the company can choose whatever it wants, but as I said, if they aim for the money they won't care about patches (in fact, they would be glad, and more taking into account that Digimon was once as known as Pokemon and if it wasn't for what I already said, the game would have a US release)

4) Romsstar, sorry to disapoint you but you are on the internet and these things spread. What do you think, that EVERYONE is gonna download the patch and apply it to the iso? Sooner or later someone will download your patch, and upload the modified ISO to every possible site that allows warez. Before you notice, you'll google "download digimon adventure iso in english" and you'll have thousands and thousands of results and you'll never know who was the first one who did that. Also you said that you're responsible for the patch, so Bandai would be lawsuiting you at the same time you'll spend the rest of your life making lawsuits to people on the internet. Nice way of living, huh?

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
So in the last couple of days, there have been a couple of developments, Dub patch possibilities, Menu/Battle/Attack Name patch Developments, Graphical/Font Developments, etc. I was wondering if anybody is tinkering around with the story dialogues. Simple Hex editing wouldn't work there, and even if you could fit shortened words in there, there's also the issue of the english text being too wide to fit in the text box.

Yeah, at the same time apparently every new discovery is even more ilegal than the last one. At this pace, the game would be modded in such a way that it'll be more ilegal than murder :blink: :P

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
a few things and questions:

1)The program Xdelta creates patches by comparing the differences between the original ISO and the modded one. Let's say someone redubs the game in another language and then makes a patch. ... that would be an "ilegal patch" ? or all the patches are in that "gray area" ?.

2) Then fandubs would also be ilegal. Why? You own your voice, but not the lyrics or melody (in case the fandub is for the songs with voices, not the dialogues). If I decide to upload to youtube a version of me singing "brave heart", I would need the karaoke version as a base and I would have modified it with my voice; or if I decide to improvise while I'm singing: I would be breaking the law by modifiyng copyrighted material and would be in jail. Therefore, fandubs are all ilegal and any person who shows tribute to their copyrighted material (tv series / movie etc) would be in jail. I'm kinda exagerating with all this, but in theory it's true.

3) Ok, let's say that a redub, translation patch and pretty much anything that means "another language in the game" are on the same level of ilegal and Bandai discovers this page, the patches, everything. At the same time, more people discovers that the game can be patched into english and downloads it but at the same time, they import the game (although they'll play the modified game in english). Why would they buy the game if they already have it? Because that's a thing a lot of people do, they show support to the company. If those gamers wouldn't be able to play the game in a understandable language for them, they would have probably not bought the game.
So: now Bandai has 2 options:
a) leave things as they are, making thousands and thousands of dollars for something they didn't even work for (the translation) and probably be grateful to the ones who did it because they would have wanted to do it but the economy didn't let it happen (let's be real: as they said, the PSP is dead in pretty much everywhere except Japan, and they would have spent money that wouldn't recover if they translated the game for a US release)
b) Be a bitch and lawsuit the person who made a patch, and probably just earn a very very few thousand dollars at maximum, and ruins someone's life.

Now, imagine yourself as a company, and take into account that all you care is the money. What would you choose, a) or b) ?

4) Romsstar, sorry to disapoint you but you are on the internet and these things spread. What do you think, that EVERYONE is gonna download the patch and apply it to the iso? Sooner or later someone will download your patch, and upload the modified ISO to every possible site that allows warez. Before you notice, you'll google "download digimon adventure iso in english" and you'll have thousands and thousands of results and you'll never know who was the first one who did that. Also you said that you're responsible for the patch, so Bandai would be lawsuiting you at the same time you'll spend the rest of your life making lawsuits to people on the internet. Nice way of living, huh?

Please if you don't know the law, then don't say who's gonna be sued for what.

Especially you keep forgetting that the laws in every country are not the same.
In Sweden you could even do the whole Redub thing LEGALLY. But I guess you are not in Sweden.
Also Extradition doesn't apply to every country.

I studied law and I know pretty well what I can be sued for and what not.
Obviously you don't know anything about copyright cases too.

Moreover: If you don't think I'm serious, in the past I did sent a restraint order to one guy who thought he could upload a patched ISO of my Digimon World 1 Patch. Guess what, I never heard a word from Bandai, but that guy did...

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You're right, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just following your reasoning from previous posts (like saying that you're responsible for the patch).

So if someone from Sweden would want to make a redub and upload it (as a patch) then it would be "ok" for him to upload it, but not for the person who is downloading it (if he's from another country) ?. And what if you use a proxy so that the registered IP would be like from another country? is that ilegal?

Moreover: If you don't think I'm serious, in the past I did sent a restraint order to one guy who thought he could upload a patched ISO of my Digimon World 1 Patch. Guess what, I never heard a word from Bandai, but that guy did...
Interesting. Well, you probably knew the username or some other info of that guy so you could do all that. I kinda doubt that if a person would have done that in a anonymus way you would have been able to do the same. I have a question: that guy was the first one who uploaded the modified ISO of Digimon World 1 ? or he was just a random guy you found who uploaded it (and maybe someone else did the same before or after him) ?

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
You're right, I'm not a lawyer, I'm just following your reasoning from previous posts (like saying that you're responsible for the patch).

So if someone from Sweden would want to make a redub and upload it (as a patch) then it would be "ok" for him to upload it, but not for the person who is downloading it (if he's from another country) ?. And what if you use a proxy so that the registered IP would be like from another country? is that ilegal?

Interesting. Well, you probably knew the username or some other info of that guy so you could do all that. I kinda doubt that if a person would have done that in a anonymus way you would have been able to do the same. I have a question: that guy was the first one who uploaded the modified ISO of Digimon World 1 ? or he was just a random guy you found who uploaded it (and maybe someone else did the same before or after him) ?

Look, the chances of prosecution would be more slim for a person from Sweden.
Through a proxy, you are protected, but of course it is still the same crime.

Yeah well it doesn't really matter. The guy made a post and spreaded it. If he was the original uploader or not, he was the distributer.

The chances of Bandai Namco actually filing a lawsuit against you even if you do the redub thing are very slim.
Who I'm concerned about is the Television company that produced the music. They could and they have a lot to gain from this.
Also the Voice Actors. Music and Movies are being prosecuted.
Games and Programs, not that much...

About Translations in general: It is true, that the result of a translation is a deravative work which is based on the Original, and you most likely didn't ask permission from the author.

But, the author can file a lawsuit against you if you disgraced his work or presented it in a way that will make his work less profitable or in an unintended way (Doesn't matter if intentionally or if you just lacked the skills). Which is why by the way, it is important to translate good.

Thus the data you present is a work that is based on another work. So you have to be sure that the original author is credited.
Even then he can still send a restraint oder against you, even for such a reason that he just doesn't like you.

This is how things technically happen in law. A restraint order seems kinda harmless, but it is not a nice thing because:
Restraint Orders have no Experation date. They are valid for your WHOLE LIFE. This is true for most countries, then again there could be some differences, depending on the country.

Fact is: When you are dealing with a "simple text translation" you are dealing in worst case with one company. Who would not care that much since there is not enough to gain.

When doing the Redub Thing, Television Company, Musicians, Music Producers, Voice Actors, and Licence Holders. The list would be long.

These are the risks and differences. At least how it is known by now. Those things are always subject to change.

StorMyu

"I'm way too old for this"
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Redub = illegal, I've already explained too much why (copyrighted material INSIDE your patch, that's all)

Then fandubs would also be ilegal. Why? You own your voice, but not the lyrics or melody (in case the fandub is for the songs with voices, not the dialogues). If I decide to upload to youtube a version of me singing "brave heart", I would need the karaoke version as a base and I would have modified it with my voice; or if I decide to improvise while I'm singing: I would be breaking the law by modifiyng copyrighted material and would be in jail. Therefore, fandubs are all ilegal and any person who shows tribute to their copyrighted material (tv series / movie etc) would be in jail. I'm kinda exagerating with all this, but in theory it's true.
if you distribute fandubs, it is illegal, because you own your voice, true, but you don't own the rest, and so, it's illegal. Nobody told you that singing a song and post it on youtube is illegal...
But just count how much videos and account from youtube are banned because they're using music or videos from random stuff...

Why would they buy the game if they already have it? Because that's a thing a lot of people do, they show support to the company. If those gamers wouldn't be able to play the game in a understandable language for them, they would have probably not bought the game.

Now, imagine yourself as a company, and take into account that all you care is the money. What would you choose, a) or b) ? I know that the company can choose whatever it wants, but as I said, if they aim for the money they won't care about patches (in fact, they would be glad, and more taking into account that Digimon was once as known as Pokemon and if it wasn't for what I already said, the game would have a US release)
Show me how you support Namco Bandai then, show me how you bought Digimon Adventure. And we're not here to think for other people, a women in the US sued a microwave company because she put her cat in it, because it wasn't in the notice "not to put live animals in it" and SHE WON, so yeah, stupid law system but it's as it is.

Romsstar, sorry to disapoint you but you are on the internet and these things spread. What do you think, that EVERYONE is gonna download the patch and apply it to the iso? Sooner or later someone will download your patch, and upload the modified ISO to every possible site that allows warez. Before you notice, you'll google "download digimon adventure iso in english" and you'll have thousands and thousands of results and you'll never know who was the first one who did that. Also you said that you're responsible for the patch, so Bandai would be lawsuiting you at the same time you'll spend the rest of your life making lawsuits to people on the internet. Nice way of living, huh?
Not really, responsible for the patch yeah, not the distribution of the iso.

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
If I copy and paste the instructions on how to redub cutscenes into the 1st page, or put them in other webpage, that wouldn't be ilegal, would it?. I mean, one of the tools used (in the video part) is ilegal but that responsability would be for the guy who uploaded the video and also provided the link, not me. They're just instructions, and if I add "redub under your resposability (and if you're gonna upload anything redubed material that you created, which you shouldn't, I'd recommend to use a proxy); the final product should not be distributed due to copyright infringement ", then I wouldn't be responsible if someone else creates and uploads a redubbed ISO (or patch, at this point it's the same) with redubs in it, right?.

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If I copy and paste the instructions on how to redub cutscenes into the 1st page, or put them in other webpage, that wouldn't be ilegal, would it?. I mean, one of the tools used (in the video part) is ilegal but that responsability would be for the guy who uploaded the video and also provided the link, not me. They're just instructions, and if I add "redub under your resposability (and if you're gonna upload anything redubed material that you created, which you shouldn't, I'd recommend to use a proxy); the final product should not be distributed due to copyright infringement ", then I wouldn't be responsible if someone else creates and uploads a redubbed ISO (or patch, at this point it's the same) with redubs in it, right?.

Pretty much. Although you could be accountable for "Aiding in copyright infringement",
but this is not very likely. From the legal point of view, possible, but I haven't heard of such cases yet (which means nothing, you never know).

Mostly the distributor is the one who gets screwed.
Even the downloaders are being rarely prosecuted.

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Pretty much. Although you could be accountable for "Aiding in copyright infringement",
but this is not very likely. From the legal point of view, possible, but I haven't heard of such cases yet (which means nothing, you never know).

Mostly the distributor is the one who gets screwed.
Even the downloaders are being rarely prosecuted.

Oh well, yea I guess that one can get sued by practically anything, like if I say "the xbox 360 sucks" or "the playstation 3 sucks" Microsoft or Sony can read those and take them like an offense to their companies and sue xD. Imagine if that really happened; most of people would be screwed xD. I guess I won't have any problem by having put the instructions on the 1st page :P .

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh well, yea I guess that one can get sued by practically anything, like if I say "the xbox 360 sucks" or "the playstation 3 sucks" Microsoft or Sony can read those and take them like an offense to their companies and sue xD. Imagine if that really happened; most of people would be screwed xD. I guess I won't have any problem by having put the instructions on the 1st page :P .

Yeah it is amazing what you can be sued for and what you can be NOT sued for is even more amazing actually.

But I agree that most likely you won't have any problems posting those instructions.

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Can we stop the whole 'Armchair Lawyer' thing and keep the discussion ON TOPIC? It would be a shame to close such a long-running thread because of some sanctimonious Perry Mason wannabes constantly derailing it.

SuperSZ

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can we stop the whole 'Armchair Lawyer' thing and keep the discussion ON TOPIC? It would be a shame to close such a long-running thread because of some sanctimonious Perry Mason wannabes constantly derailing it.

We ARE on-topic. Or would you prefer not to talk about the legality or ilegality of these things, so then everyone uploads their stuff and GBATemp gets in trouble, people gets sued or even go to jail?. Plus: if in previous pages the thread didn't get closed because of all the "fighting" between some users and the translation team, you wouldn't close it now for discusing something important, would you? (I am not challenging you, I just thought it would be important to discuss this stuff, that's all)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart: ye