Homebrew Digial Scale?

oORYUOo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I read somewhere that the touch screen is pressure sensative, would you be able to mod it to weigh...stuff? Like a digital scale. BTW Wassup everyone nice to join the communit
grog.gif

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
oORYUOo said:
Well I read somewhere that the touch screen is pressure sensative, would you be able to mod it to weigh...stuff? Like a digital scale. BTW Wassup everyone nice to join the communit
grog.gif
I don't think the screen is pressure sensetive... And if so, I don't think the DS will even notice if you put something as lite as a stylus on it, and I don't think it can handle to much pressure...
So imo it's kinda unusefull...

Welcome btw!

saxamo

Spaaaaace!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the screen is not sensitive to diff. pressures. The touch screen has an on/off sort of configuration where when you touch a point on the screen, it registers as making contact, and when you let go, the contact is broken. Sorry!

playallday

Group: GBAtemp Ghost
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
saxamo said:
Yeah, the screen is not sensitive to diff. pressures. The touch screen has an on/off sort of configuration where when you touch a point on the screen, it registers as making contact, and when you let go, the contact is broken. Sorry!
What about colors? (or whatever it's name is)

paul3100

Trophies
XP
Country
Actually i think you guys are wrong!

There is those art games for the ds which allow you to paint apples and all that sort of guff but you can draw lightly or harder depending how hard you press the stylus down, try it..

Though i wouldn't imagine it could ever be used as a scale

paul

EDIT: Damn beaten too it lol

Balrogs.Pain

Trophies
XP
Country
CPhantom said:
Lol, I can see the headlines now:

"Kid busted weighing cocaine on Nintendo DS handheld"
The parents of this boy think the reason being was he was playing to many violent video games like grand theft auto.

Gerinych

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Not exactly possible. Since this is not a multi-touch screen, the weight should be concentrated in one spot. So you can't measure coca unless you put in in a test tube or something
smile.gif

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, the touchscreen has some pressure sensitivity, but it's nowhere near accurate or regular enough to use as a scale. It also doesn't seem to be able to detect very light things at all (at least not when they're spread over a larger area of the touchscreen than the tip of the stylus).

I wanted to make a "game" called How Many Licks Does It Take To Get To The Tootsie Roll Center Of A Tootsie Pop? but testing showed that I couldn't get the screen to register my tongue no matter how hard I licked.

...word is bondage...

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is actually a great idea. Not only is it easily doable, its really creative. I believe it could be done by using a tripod or perhaps a four post stand. Then, the force would be spread out over the points, and it would be detectable by the touchscreen.

It would need to have a calibrate feature, but this sounds really possible, not to mention useful.

-Klyick

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The DS screens are technically capable of pressure sensitivity, but with a few minor caveats:

1. Not all DS systems have the same pressure-sensitivity. This is why the Colors! application has a calibration feature. Before it had this, I could never get the application to paint more than a very light outline while other DS users complained of it being overly-sensitive.
2. Due to this, you will NEVER see pressure-sensitivity in a commercial DS game. The touchscreen is controlled by the ARM7, and third-party developers are not allowed to modify the ARM7 at all, only the ARM9. The official ARM7 binary only recognizes two states: touched and not touched. It doesn't register sensitivity at all.

Due to the lack of standardized pressure thresholds on different DS units, a scale would not really be all that feasible.

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DanTheManMS said:
The DS screens are technically capable of pressure sensitivity, but with a few minor caveats:

1. Not all DS systems have the same pressure-sensitivity. This is why the Colors! application has a calibration feature. Before it had this, I could never get the application to paint more than a very light outline while other DS users complained of it being overly-sensitive.
2. Due to this, you will NEVER see pressure-sensitivity in a commercial DS game. The touchscreen is controlled by the ARM7, and third-party developers are not allowed to modify the ARM7 at all, only the ARM9. The official ARM7 binary only recognizes two states: touched and not touched. It doesn't register sensitivity at all.

Due to the lack of standardized pressure thresholds on different DS units, a scale would not really be all that feasible.

I'm thinking a calibrate feature would make this a non issue.

Therefore, I respectfully disagree.

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Sweater Fish Deluxe said:
I wanted to make a "game" called How Many Licks Does It Take To Get To The Tootsie Roll Center Of A Tootsie Pop? but testing showed that I couldn't get the screen to register my tongue no matter how hard I licked.
Let me guess, you were testing this while playing Doki Doki Mahou Shinpan?

klyick

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, I took the initiative, and tried to code a app that would do the trick based on a four point system, AKA a small four legged support that would hold the weight that was to be measured.

I was successfully able to weigh accurately weights ranging from 2 grams to about 250 grams. It did require a calibration feature to be used every time, as I had stated earlier.

So, to all you naysayers, neener neener.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, AncientBoi be like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxLoR6H7GxQ