DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
After being frustrated by a game which made me quickly press LB/RB and constantly messing it up I wondered, how many of you have trouble telling left from right.
I mean, I can't be the only one?

Edit:
It's not about the LB/RB, it's about telling the difference between left and right.

Last edited by DinohScene,
D

Deleted User

I usually have to look at my hands for a moment to tell which way is left and which way is right. Even after doing that I might forget while I'm in the middle of playing a game that makes me press the L and R triggers on a controller at a specific time, or doing something else that I need to use both hands for like that.

EmperorX

Trophies
XP
Country
Lebanon
Yup it happens to me too. It's especially annoying when I'm driving and someone asks me to steer in a certain direction. I panic and end up steering the other way.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Yup it happens to me too. It's especially annoying when I'm driving and someone asks me to steer in a certain direction. I panic and end up steering the other way.

That's something I don't have difficulties with really.
Then again, I tell them specifically that they should point directions in advance and not at crossings and keep on giving directions as otherwise I forget which way I'm going anyway ;p

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I usually don't know which way is North after going inside a building, it is frustrating.
But telling apart left from right... no problem with that really.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Can't say I've ever had that problem, but I always have to check which button is LB and which one is LT, and vice versa. I'm more used to L1/L2/R1/R2 and that makes sense to me.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
LB/RB are L1/R1.
The button layout is the same, it's just the Left and right fact ;p
I know, but I always forget that.
I think it's because to me LB and LT sound like left bottom and left top, when it's actually the opposite. Even remembering that LT means left trigger and LB means left bumper, I have to think for a couple seconds to remember which one is the trigger.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
No problems here telling my left from right.

I have found it somewhat intriguing how some do struggle with telling left from right.

Perhaps, this is too simplified, but I can't get to grips with, if for arguments sake, a right handed person, doesn't know which direction right is, as they only have to remember what hand they write with.

But, i guess that's easy for me to say, as i don't have that problem.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
weird, left and right appears to be hard coded in the deep part of my brain, even though the words are totally different from my native language.. if you say left i immediately look left..
BUT, i do have issue with the LT, LB, RT, RB... when seeing one of those 4 options i have difficult to tell apart which of the 4 buttons it is... the extra letter makes me kinda confused..
as for the PlayStation scheme, i have no issue...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I only have problems when someone gives me indications from a different perspective.
ho yeah, me too!
i forgot.. when someone says for example "the left girl in the picture"
i fucking struggle to understand sometimes, "is it from my perspective, or from the perspective of the people in the picture "?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its probably depending on how you learned to tell left from right as a child.
many learn it like you speak it, left and right. using their hands to indicate where the first one is and where the second one is. so instead of two separate concepts of direction, its always combination. your brain then figures out where right is by first checking where left is. often using your hands or looking to the left.
your brain goes through the same exercise to check where left was too, so you always take a moment to determine where to go.

the good thing is, you can probably train your brain to let go of that if you wanted, just like you can train it to stop reading words in your head as you read or write to speed up your actual reading and writing speeds

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I do have some issues with left and right, but not in pressing L or R at games, because I learned where are L and R it first than to differentiate left and right? lol
R is the buttons side, L is at the Dpad/analog side :rofl: thx snes! (maybe it helps us to get left and right faster? :unsure:)

But in using right and left daily life is kinda difficult, I have to think a bit before going to the direction :v I THINK it was because I learned to use the computer's mouse with the left hand, even doing everything else with the right, idk why my dad bought us a strange table... lol, it was funny seeing people using the computer there with lots of difficulties ... I just don't use there anymore because I have a new table for my pc and sometimes it start to hurt and mostly of the programs have shortcuts at the left side of the keyboard... anyway, since I ever spent so much time on computer, the " hand use I most" turned to be the left (even being more for the mouse, I can't use well for other stuffs)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have seen in before in some people. Makes directing them when driving somewhere or using a mouse on a screen quite difficult.

Curiously though they tend to respond just fine to port and starboard. While it is possible to hack games to alter button names it might get a bit tedious though. Personally I don't tend to go in for games with quick time events and ultimately learn controls rather than constantly refreshing them (the difference between touch typing and having to look to reset) so it would tend not to be so bad.

Xanthe

Costco Executive Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about R1 and R2? Thats difficult for me, after switching from Xbox for God knows how many years..

gman666

Cubicle Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Make 2 L's with both hands using index fingers and thumbs... The one that looks like an L is your left. Now picture that in your head when you can't tell left or right.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.