Differentiating sizes in cases?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by MahouMaster, Apr 11, 2011.

Apr 11, 2011
  1. MahouMaster
    OP

Member MahouMaster GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Well! I received my import of Pilotwings from Europe today, and was absolutely shocked to see the large size of it's case! It's the same size as an original DS game case! Next to it, my Australian cases look stunningly slim. I'm wondering, why is this? Why is there disparity between regions? I remember the original DS was the same, with massive sized cases for some games, (in particular, early EA Games releases here came in them), that were clear rather than solid black/dark grey.

2. altorn

Member altorn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Well it pretty much depends on the region the game/even system was released in.
    Many games have different box arts in different regions. Also, here in NA, 3DS games have the same boxes as DS games, just white in color. SSF43D had a slightly bigger case coz of the holographic artwork, but the rest are pretty much similar sizes.

The question is, why ask?

3. spinal_cord

Member spinal_cord Knows his stuff

United Kingdom
    I'm interested [​IMG]

I would assume something to do with manufacturing costs in different regions, or maybe shipping costs to send hundreds of thousands of these cases around the continent.

I would like to see a photo of how different the AU boxes are. I know the DS boxes here in Europe are quite large compared to other region boxes.

4. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Oh?
    All the 3DS game boxes that I've seen have been just like DS game boxes. The only difference being that the name of the system is on the opposite side.

I just compared my Australian Smaurai Warriors: Chronicles box with my Australian Wario Ware Touched box and they're the same size.

You should take a photo to show us the different sized boxes you're talking about.

5. KuRensan

Member KuRensan aka Pearbook

Netherlands
    The 3DS game cases are the same as Wii cases only +/- 1/4 smaller

6. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    Not sure about other parts of the world but 3DS cases are slimmer.

I took a quick picture of the games I've got out (because I'm going to trade them in).
    [​IMG]

7. MahouMaster
    OP

Member MahouMaster GBAtemp Regular

Australia
  8. spiritofcat

Member spiritofcat GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    I've just hauled out all my DS game boxes now to compare and it looks like Sonic Rush is the only one of mine that is in a significantly different sized box.
    Samurai Warriors: Chronicles fits right in there with the other DS games except that its case is white and theirs are black.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Oceanborn712

Member Oceanborn712 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    It's just what they think sells and fits into store shelves best in a given region. Just like box colors and cover design differ from region to region.
    Whenever I got a US version of a PSX game it was in a standard jewel case, while European games used to be in those double sized CD cases. Dreamcast games had even larger, extremely fragile boxes here while US games seemed to be in regular jewel cases again. My Canadian Greatest Hits titles for PS3 have red cases, while in Europe Greatest Hits is called Platinum and comes with a silver box and an awful yellow inlay. I've also just received my first US-DS games last week and think they look awful compared to European ones.

(God those shaking pictures above make me nauseous just from looking at them for a few seconds)

10. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    But I believe european DS boxes are thicker than USA boxes (at least my import copy of Metroid Prime Hunters has a slimmer case than my european games). And PAL cases are usually semi-see through instead of black.

11. Nollog

Member Nollog GBAtemp Addict

Ireland
    I have european boxes. they're as thick as the tip of the stylus to the ring above the black tip.
    What size are yours?

12. nasune

Member nasune GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Approx. 2 cm, and the 3ds cases are approx. 1.5 cm (the same thickness as my MPH).