Homebrew Question Differences in developing Homebrew for the Switch and 3DS - Beginner Level

flower_jpeg

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi all,
Long time GBATemp lurker.

My Question:
How does homebrew development differ between the Switch and 3DS at a basic introductory level?

At least for the time-being, I am mostly interested in doing a few, very simple things that will help me to understand a little about how these platforms work. My experience with programming consists of a "hangman"-level familiarity with Python.

Context:
I am wondering where to start; in some ways the answer to this question is obvious as I own a Switch (Atmosphere-Kosmos) and do not own a 3DS. However, my friend whose 3DS I helped hack is an experienced programmer interested in Homebrew and we will likely be fiddling both platforms. I will probably try to learn the absolute basics for both.

Additional Questions:
Which platforms do those of you with homebrew dev experience believe to be "easier?"
Lacking my own 3DS, can I still learn a few things about it on my own using an emulator?
What resources would you recommend I make use of?

Current Resources:

Switch

[Tutorial] Switch Homebrew development - GBATemp
gbatemp [dot] net/threads/tutorial-switch-homebrew-development.507284/
Switchbrew
switchbrew [dot] org

3DS
3DS Homebrew Development - GBATemp Wiki
gbatemp [dot] net/wiki/3DS_Homebrew_Development
3dbrew
wiki [dot] gbatemp [dot] net/wiki/3DS_Homebrew_Development

-Flower.jpeg

edit: for clarity

Last edited by flower_jpeg,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/xbox-series-x-2-2tb-090117688.html?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR...