Hacking Differences between PS1 and PS2 emus and PS2 CONFIG files question

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
What are the differences between ps1emu, ps1netemu and ps1newemu and between ps2emu, ps2gxemu, ps2softemu and ps2netemu? Do I need to install PS2CONFIG if running PS2 games on webMAN MOD to improve PS2 game compatibility?

EDIT: Sorry, wrong thread.

Last edited by Windows_10_User,

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps2emu is for bc; ps2gxemu is for partial bc; ps2softemu is an early build of net emu without the licensing, and netemu is for ps2 classics. softemu is pretty rough if you've ever used it. it was supposed to take the place of gxemu I believe, but then sony got greedy and created netemu where you have to rebuy games.

Last edited by godreborn,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ps2emu is for bc; ps2gxemu is for partial bc; ps2softemu is an early build of net emu without the licensing, and netemu is for ps2 classics. softemu is pretty rough if you've ever used it. it was supposed to take the place of gxemu I believe, but then sony got greedy and created netemu where you have to rebuy games.

Are those the only differences and can emulators be chosen? What do you mean by partial BC? How can I know which one I'm using? I guess I used ps2netemu. What about PS1 emulators, PS2CONFIG and updating the XMB without rebuilding the PS3's database?

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe opening a game will refresh the xmb. you're talking about if you changed the name of a game or something, right? partial bc = a ps3 that is partially backwards compatible.

Reactions: Windows_10_User

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I believe opening a game will refresh the xmb. you're talking about if you changed the name of a game or something, right? partial bc = a ps3 that is partially backwards compatible.

No, I uploaded a PS3 game save to the PS3 and for it to appear on the XMB I always have to rebuild the PS3's database which takes some time and messes up the XMB categories. I know what it means but I thought the PS3 was BC or not. What does partial BC mean?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
for ps1 games, all ps3s are bc, but not for ps2 games. I think you can enter the game and it will update the save.

Why are there different PS1 emus? OK, but I want it to appear on the XMB without running the game and loading the game save and IIRC even if I ran the game, the game save wouldn't appear, at least if I had deleted the previous game save on the XMB.

zfreeman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What does partial BC really mean?
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation#Description

Emulation of Playstation 2 is currently handled by 3 kind of emulators. CECH-A/B models use ps2_emu.self able to use built-in PS2 hardware (EE/GS/Rambus memory), and have best compatibility. CECH-C/E use ps2_gxemu, this emulator use physical Graphic Synthesizer found in this ps3 model, but Emotion Engine is fully emulated here, also there is no Rambus memory. All other models emulate PS2 thru fully software based ps2_netemu used for ps2 classics, and hacked now to use decrypted ISO files. Earlier before Sony provided ps2 classics on PS Store there was another soft only emulator strongly based on ps2_gxemu. It was called ps2_softemu, and had support for original PS2 CDVD. Only emulator not able to run physical discs is ps2_netemu.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are those the only differences and can someone choose between emus (I guess not)?
https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-84-2-rex-d-rex-cobra-8-1-toolbox-2-03-02-mar-29th-2019/

REBUG TOOLBOX 2.03.02 MULTI 16: (PS2 Emu swapper’s removed as this became obsolete since Cobra 8.1)

PlayStation 2 on NON-BC Consoles
Software (
SW) Emulation:Support for PS2 ISOs in non BC consoles was removed in Cobra 4.30 (usb), due tops2_softemu missing. It has been re-enabled now by hacking of ps2_netemu. You can use it in the same way as before, just load an ISO and launch from disc icon, Cobra core takes care of rest. No need for encrypted isos, isos patched with limg sectors, etc. Just your normal PS2 isos dumped from discs. However, there is NO SUPPORT for Optical Discs in PS2_NETEMU.
Note 1: Don’t forget to set the memory cards in XMB, in the old memory card utility for PS/PS2, as ps2_netemu won’t let you assign them in game. As long as you use the new ps2 launcher.Note 2: Decrypted Config can now be used , place the CONFIG file in the same game path. An example below :
dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO
dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO.CONFIG

Decrypted CONFIG files are available via:
https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases/download/1.47.25/PS2CONFIG.pkg

PlayStation 2 on BC and Semi-BC ConsolesHardware (HW) Emulation:
PS3 Models: CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE Backwards Compatible (BC) Consoles
will still use their respetive emulators(ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu), which have much better compatibility and also support optical discs, original or backup.

What are the differences between ps1emu, ps1netemu and ps1newemu
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS1_Emulation#Emulator_versions

There is no accurate info in wiki about the different PS1 emulator .self revisions.

Last edited by zfreeman,

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS2_Emulation#Description

Emulation of Playstation 2 is currently handled by 3 kind of emulators. CECH-A/B models use ps2_emu.self able to use built-in PS2 hardware (EE/GS/Rambus memory), and have best compatibility. CECH-C/E use ps2_gxemu, this emulator use physical Graphic Synthesizer found in this ps3 model, but Emotion Engine is fully emulated here, also there is no Rambus memory. All other models emulate PS2 thru fully software based ps2_netemu used for ps2 classics, and hacked now to use decrypted ISO files. Earlier before Sony provided ps2 classics on PS Store there was another soft only emulator strongly based on ps2_gxemu. It was called ps2_softemu, and had support for original PS2 CDVD. Only emulator not able to run physical discs is ps2_netemu.

https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-84-2-rex-d-rex-cobra-8-1-toolbox-2-03-02-mar-29th-2019/

REBUG TOOLBOX 2.03.02 MULTI 16: (PS2 Emu swapper’s removed as this became obsolete since Cobra 8.1)

PlayStation 2 on NON-BC Consoles
Software (
SW) Emulation:Support for PS2 ISOs in non BC consoles was removed in Cobra 4.30 (usb), due tops2_softemu missing. It has been re-enabled now by hacking of ps2_netemu. You can use it in the same way as before, just load an ISO and launch from disc icon, Cobra core takes care of rest. No need for encrypted isos, isos patched with limg sectors, etc. Just your normal PS2 isos dumped from discs. However, there is NO SUPPORT for Optical Discs in PS2_NETEMU.
Note 1: Don’t forget to set the memory cards in XMB, in the old memory card utility for PS/PS2, as ps2_netemu won’t let you assign them in game. As long as you use the new ps2 launcher.Note 2: Decrypted Config can now be used , place the CONFIG file in the same game path. An example below :
dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO
dev_hdd0/PS2ISO/God of WAR2.ISO.CONFIG

Decrypted CONFIG files are available via:
https://github.com/aldostools/webMAN-MOD/releases/download/1.47.25/PS2CONFIG.pkg

PlayStation 2 on BC and Semi-BC ConsolesHardware (HW) Emulation:
PS3 Models: CECHA, CECHB, CECHC and CECHE Backwards Compatible (BC) Consoles
will still use their respetive emulators(ps2_emu, ps2_gxemu), which have much better compatibility and also support optical discs, original or backup.

https://www.psdevwiki.com/ps3/PS1_Emulation#Emulator_versions

There is no accurate info in wiki about the different PS1 emulator .self revisions.

I've read about a PS2 blue disc icon on the XMB instead of the gold one (the only one that I saw). Is it true?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Blue just denotes that the PS2 disk image is a CD, like ICO. Later, PS2 games were pressed on DVD (gold). Black = PS1, etc.

This PSP Minis Launcher doesn't appear in this page. Isn't it odd and should I use it in some cases?

I had to install prepNTFS and run it for webMAN MOD to detect all the games on the external HDD's NTFS partition (and it seems I have to keep running it) and I have to restart the PS3 every time I add or/and delete a game since after updating the XMB on webMAN, games still don't appear.

Can I mess with the PS3 when webMAN MOD is copying a PS2/PSP ISO to the PS3's HDD?

Windows_10_User

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I use this for PSP: PSP Remasters Launcher MOD [atreyu187] v2.00

webMAN MOD seems like it needs the database rebuilt for each change, but maybe there's an easier way I haven't realized yet.

Should I install the PSP Launcher you mentioned and delete the one I have? I was able to run a PSP game with one of Brewology's PSP Launchers after mounting it with multiMAN.

EDIT: I stopped using multiMAN and PSP Launchers and started using IRISMAN and playing PSP games on the PS TV since the latter is more compatible with PSP games than the PS3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night