Differences between Demo consoles and consumer consoles?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 1,509
  • Replies 4
D

Deleted User

OP
here's an interesting topic, are there any consoles that are different on the demo shelf from the one any consumer would buy?

For example,
4Cub2D1.jpg

Compared to the one you would setup at home and play normally, or the PSVita demo unit and the normal one

Are there any differences with the firmware?

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As far as I understand they're usually locked down so they can only play the software that's installed to them, so they're more or less useless for the typical user. However, there are exceptions; the PS3, for example, could have its demo/kiosk units converted to retail (but I don't know if it's still possible nowadays), in order to run regular games and not just demos or promo vids.

D

Deleted User

OP
I remember these few times where i tried a PSVita, a 3ds and an xbox 360, the home button was completely disabled on all three but the vita, which kept complaining it didn't have a SIM card

Duo8

Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
For the Vita, the retail demo units are in a "Demo mode". You can exit it but it returns when the system is restarted.
IIRC it also shuts down if unplugged.

For the 3DS, they use demo carts instead, which cause the system to behave like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E