Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't forget to drink your water.

1707766895944.png

Reactions: CoolMe and x65943

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
I think I only ever saw this once with XP, when I installed XP on an old OG Celeron Slot 1 PC and APM was disabled by default.

It didn't scare me though since I was used to it on Windows 9x machines, I just googled why it occured and changed the appropriate setting.

Now what was scary was letting one of my older brothers use that system online, took him about 1 week to trash that install.

SylverReZ

The planet is fine. The people are crazy.
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I only ever saw this once with XP, when I installed XP on an old OG Celeron Slot 1 PC and APM was disabled by default.

It didn't scare me though since I was used to it on Windows 9x machines, I just googled why it occured and changed the appropriate setting.

Now what was scary was letting one of my older brothers use that system online, took him about 1 week to trash that install.
I guess the scenario where this screen would appear, are PCs that don't exceed the maximum system requirements, which run older versions of Windows like 95 and 98.

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Before the new power star consumption standars NOT all main boards handle the PSU. So most of the PSUs couldn't be turn of or on from software, they had BIG mechanical switches in order to power on/off them so windows couldn't power off the computer you needed to do manually
They used to be like:
fG1D394.png

dmcorZu.png

At my country the most common was:
s-l1200(1).jpg

s-l1200.jpg

Post automatically merged:

I remember as a young kid connecting the pins on the wrong order and creating a shortcut with big sparks and a burnt fuse 😂😂😝😝(wasn't funt at the moment but today I laugh remembering it)

Last edited by impeeza,

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Before the new power star consumption standars NOT all main boards handle the PSU. So most of the PSUs couldn't be turn of or on from software, they had BIG mechanical switches in order to power on/off them so windows couldn't power off the computer you needed to do manually
They used to be like:
View attachment 419735
View attachment 419734

View attachment 419732

View attachment 419733

I remember as a young kid connecting the pins on the wrong order and creating a shortcut with big sparks and a burnt fuse 😂😂😝😝(wasn't funt at the moment but today I laugh remembering it)

A saying I've heard when connecting pre-ATX PSUs to mobos is 'red is dead', I think it was from Adrian's Digital Basement.

For those who don't know, this is what the original mobo power connections look like:
https://www.playtool.com/pages/psuconnectors/atindex.jpg

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They used to be like:
View attachment 419735
View attachment 419734

View attachment 419732

View attachment 419733

Me triggered. In positive sense. Wave of nostalgia.

Awesome memories. Awesome pictures.
The big red flip switch was also used in IBM XT/AT computers.

Most of my AT, non ATX PSUs are dead. Can't use the 80386 and 80486 machines because of this. Well. That was even before Microsoft introduced the "It is now safe to turn off" screen.

The older PCs became unusable even earlier because the MFM harddisks failed. Seagate ST-225 for example. Even had a "park" command to bring the read/write heads in safe position before power off.

I wish I had the ability to repair the stuff and somehow find replacements for the failed HDDs. Can somebody acutally rebuild such things? Some stupid hardware emulator isn't the same.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast