Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey uhhh, I was playing Diddy Kong Racing, and I tried to use a power up. But the problem it that it wouldn't let me. I tried all buttons that were not accelerate and reverse. the button I think it is just gives me some kinda weirdo beep sound like a honk type thing.

Is there something I must do to use power ups? I don't remember not being able to use power ups in DKR64

So, my question is, how do I use power ups?

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Should be just the L button, but when you don't have an item, ar blown into the air, or already have an comparable item active (like shield and then try to use another shield) it gives a beeping noice.
Perhaps you tried the Y before the L, cause the Y throws your item away...

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
While we're on the topic of DKR powerups, I've gotta say that I love the way the powerups work in this game. I never really appreciated it, but I much prefer it to Mario Kart. The ability to still get fun powerups while you're in first place is not to be understated.

And, of course, you have control over which powerups you get, and then there's strategy involved in if you use it right away, or power it up. Plus, collecting different balloons might cause you to take different course paths, etc.

Very very satisfying. As opposed to Mario Kart where you only get fun powerups if you suck and and only get bananas if you're in first. Bleh.

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
I tried X, and that is what gave me the beeping noise. I'll try L. ahah

X is the button you use when you have both a balloon item and a coin with an arrow pointing up to change your powerup into an alternative one.

While we're on the topic of DKR powerups, I've gotta say that I love the way the powerups work in this game. I never really appreciated it, but I much prefer it to Mario Kart. The ability to still get fun powerups while you're in first place is not to be understated.

And, of course, you have control over which powerups you get, and then there's strategy involved in if you use it right away, or power it up. Plus, collecting different balloons might cause you to take different course paths, etc.

Very very satisfying. As opposed to Mario Kart where you only get fun powerups if you suck and and only get bananas if you're in first. Bleh.
I think both systems are arguable, Mario Kart's system makes the game funner to play for people who haven't played the game before. Even if they stick behind, they get funner items which also makes the distance between people closer, so even if you're really unexperienced you have a winning chance.
The dkr system however makes it so that people sticking behind just get the same stuff, so if you're first by far you stay so. It also adds this strategy thing and is better for people who are good at it. However, if you're playing against a non-gamer, I think they'll like Mario Kart better...

Parsaw

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
...Oh, okay. I feel dumb. Thanks.

While we're on the topic of DKR powerups, I've gotta say that I love the way the powerups work in this game. I never really appreciated it, but I much prefer it to Mario Kart. The ability to still get fun powerups while you're in first place is not to be understated.

And, of course, you have control over which powerups you get, and then there's strategy involved in if you use it right away, or power it up. Plus, collecting different balloons might cause you to take different course paths, etc.

Very very satisfying. As opposed to Mario Kart where you only get fun powerups if you suck and and only get bananas if you're in first. Bleh.

And yes! I agree!

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
When I was reading about DKR DS, I didn't like the way the power ups seemed to work. I have to try it to see if it is better than the Mario Kart items system, which I actually like...

[M]artin

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wish there was a power-up that would make me change my opinion about this game blowing giant monkey balls. (No pun intended, but, ah what the hell...)
rofl2.gif

gr33dy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Each system has its pros and cons, I like the maro kart system though, gives the underdogs a chance.
I agree about both having their pros and cons. I hate the fact that in MK you can be a terrible racer and still manage to come in 1st/2nd because of all the ridiculous items you get (never ending supply of blue shells/lightning bolts)... Of course, this adds an element of humor to the game and results in much closer races. DKR, on the other hand, seems to reward skilled drivers. Both systems are good!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: