Hacking Did I install my Wiikey properly?

yiggs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Ok.

So, I bought and installed a wiikey (supposedly 100% genuine from ozmodchips.com). Anyway, It works and all, but I've been getting quite a lot of "disc read error, refer to manual etc" messages from the beginning.

It plays backups, but errors out randomly. It happens with both Wii and GC games. Originals work 100% fine.

I was just wondering if I had botched the installation or something. Though, if I had botched it, it shouldn't even work.... right?

Perhaps I've been burning dodgy coasters? I'm using Verbatim DVD+Rs on a LITEON DVDRW SOHW-812S at the minimum speed of 2.4x.

Any ideas? I've opened up my wii and everything seems to be fine too.

Darkforce

DERP!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Try DVD-R from Verbatim or TDK and burn them faster, like 8x.

Wouldn't it be better to burn them slower?
Illusion
No not necessarily, it depends on both the drive and media. Today most dvd writers will be just as stable burning at the higher speeds as they are doing slower speeds. As for discs whilst you won't have an issue with Verbatim as it is a certified (variable) speed media, with fixed speed media burning slower than the rated speed (e.g. 8x) definately won't be beneficial.

I don't think the Wii likes DVD+Rs judging by the amount of topics regarding backups not working, like SpaceJump suggests I would try some DVD-R media such as Verbatim.

Also go to Lite-Ons website and see if there is a firmware update for your DVD drive, if you havn't done so recently, always good idea to keep the drive upto date.

smile.gif

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I only use Arita DVD+R and I tested on 25 wii consoles and it worked fine on all of them!
So Wiikey supports DVD+R perfect
smile.gif

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your problem is the +R.
I've used +R's from about five different brands on my Wii and have not had a single DRE.

From my personally experience, lite-on burners are not very good. While the burns work in DVD players and what not, they produce far too many errors, and thus are not good for things that have less tolerance for errors. Like a Wii(and especially the gamecube).

Tripp

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Your problem is the +R.

I've used +R's from about five different brands on my Wii and have not had a single DRE.

From my personally experience, lite-on burners are not very good. While the burns work in DVD players and what not, they produce far too many errors, and thus are not good for things that have less tolerance for errors. Like a Wii(and especially the gamecube).

I only use lite-on drives (with sometimes modified firmware) and use +r ty 8x media with booktype dvd-rom and 22 wii disks later no issues...

media + drive =

tool - http://www.vso-software.fr/products/inspector/inspector.php

rolleyes.gif

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like I said, thats just in my experience.

And I agree with you, certain media works better with certain burners. But, some burners are definantly better then others, and work well with almost all media, rather then just certain ones.

When the gamecube was first modded to play backups, it was found that NEC, Pioneer, and BenQ were the burners that produced the least amount of errors on a burn, and thus, are more likely to be problem free.

The lite-on burners on the other hand, produced a lot of errors on there burns, and caused lots of problems when it came to burned gamecube games.

These results for confirmed by me(as I had a Pioneer, NEC, and a lite-on), as well as many others. Games burned with the Pioneer and NEC burners never gave a single DRE(regardless of media), while games burned with the lite-on gave me many DRE's, except on a couple media's.

So, while you can make due with a lite-on burner, why not spend the $20-30 to get a much better burner?

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Whilst some lite-on burners are very good (especially their newer models) the 812S is not one of their better burners.

I'd definitely look into upgrading the burner. A nice Pioneer or BENQ are easy to come by at computer fairs for cheap.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
+R is not a problem, i use them on my wii no worries, its either the media, the burner, or the combination at which hes burning the media

slower burn speed != better quality burns, as was mentioned earlier sometimes you're better off burning quicker on certain types of media!!!!! dont fall into this bs "deep burning the image" crap, like ya gonna use the disc in 10 years time anyway!!!

try burning quicker, or get a new burner (pioneer DVR series are great)

RobertsD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Newegg.com is a good place to get burners for a great price. I'm sure there are others, this is just the one that came to my mind

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Newegg.com is a good place to get burners for a great price. I'm sure there are others, this is just the one that came to my mind
Newegg.com is of no use to us Aussies though.
Here is a nice burner for a reasonable price. I'm unsure of their postage costs though.
As I said in my last post, it's very easy to find these at computer markets if you have one on nearby. You'll get it cheaper too.

MADKATZ99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I burnt somthing on a verbatim DVD-R, which works Flawlessly. No disk read errors or anything, and it was with a crap A-Open burner that I got for like $100 a year ago from leading edge computers. DVD burners were alot more expensive back then... Yeah, and it was through a wireless network too, which I thought may make it a bit more dodgy, but I havnt had a problem with the burn since.

The easiest thing I could suggest, is to get some DVD-R's and give them a crack.

yiggs

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey!

Thanks for all the help guys
biggrin.gif

I've had a go with -R media at 8x. Still no go. I am gonna buy a new dvd burner. Wish me luck
biggrin.gif

I really hope that it isn't the chip's fault.

dsrules

Trophies
XP
Country
Don't waste your $$$...If the burn is 100% successful then the disc should work regardless of what brand of burner and what brand of dvd-r media you use!

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Don't waste your $$$...If the burn is 100% successful then the disc should work regardless of what brand of burner and what brand of dvd-r media you use!

That's not true dude. My computer DVD drive can read disks that the Wii gives constant DRE at initial load. I usually make a new ISO off of that disk and burn again with different settings if the first burn didn't work. If these burns weren't 100% the data would be bad, but that doesn't mean that the Wii drive isn't really finiky about burnt media.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?